Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Side view mirrors and wind noise

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Side view mirrors and wind noise

Hi guys,
There's this nagging issue of wind noise from the external side mirror area at highway speeds past say 65 mph. I think the noise level is normal but more than I'd like. It seems like the large stock side mirrors are causing a lot of it. ...

So, I'm thinking about replacing them with aftermarket slender aerodynamic CF version from APR. Can those chime in who have them as to the reduction of wind noise?

I see price of 300 and assuming that's for a pair?

thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2014, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spyderx
Hi guys,
There's this nagging issue of wind noise from the external side mirror area at highway speeds past say 65 mph. I think the noise level is normal but more than I'd like. It seems like the large stock side mirrors are causing a lot of it. ...

So, I'm thinking about replacing them with aftermarket slender aerodynamic CF version from APR. Can those chime in who have them as to the reduction of wind noise?

I see price of 300 and assuming that's for a pair?

thanks!
You can alleviate a ton of wind noise by taking the stock OEM mirrors and trading them in along with the rest of the car for a BMW or Mercedes. jk

Seriously though, the EVO is not renowned for its quiet ride by any stretch of the imagination.

I would think the metal arm and the slender APR Mirrors will make just as much wind noise at those speeds; just at a different pitch/tone than the OEM stockers. The true problem lies with the OEM glass and sound dampening letting in more noise than in other cars.

Most people buying these cars are aware of the "issues" they come with. Just one of the CONS we accept in trade for the PROS at this price level.

If you decide to go the new mirror route it would be cool to see a review of your experience. Just don't let the fact that you spent $300 influence your verdict
Old Jul 7, 2014, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

p.s. The APRs are sexy tho!
Old Jul 7, 2014, 02:34 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I've ran/run both and hadn't noticed a difference, but I didn't really pay attention

This is my 3rd X, this time, I went with an MR Touring, adding a ton of sound insulation and matting, went with Cusco A-Specs, HKS Legamax exhaust, and Bridgstone SP Pole and I've been very happy with the sound. It's quiet.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason I bring this up is I didn't notice the wind noise in my previous 3 viii and ix. Maybe because the stock mr x is quieter? I doubt that. I ll experiment without the driver mirror first.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ikt
I've ran/run both and hadn't noticed a difference, but I didn't really pay attention

This is my 3rd X, this time, I went with an MR Touring, adding a ton of sound insulation and matting, went with Cusco A-Specs, HKS Legamax exhaust, and Bridgstone SP Pole and I've been very happy with the sound. It's quiet.
Did you add your own insulation on top of the extra factory stuff in the MR Touring? If so would you mind sharing where you added it and what kind vs the results?

I have some GT mat I have been delaying putting in but wouldn't mind some advise on where to put it for best effect per $.

OP - Radio off I know what you are talking about, I can hear the mirrors and tires etc. at speed. Not too often I DD without tunes though.....mostly notice it when I try to Bluetooth a call through the car.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 08:15 AM

I have Ganador mirrors, no wind noise at all. Not saying, NO NOISE cause its an EVO. Just no wind noise.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

There is something you can do so you don't hear all the noises the Evo makes. I did it a few years ago and it has worked ever since. It's called a URINCD. I got mine from the manufacturer in Canada.

I have the Jun carbon mirrors. I bought them for better forward vision at the track, but I don't notice any noise from them. Although it could be that my URINCD or, Ultimate Racing Irritating Noise Cancelation Device is doing it's job.

I drive with my windows open 24/7.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 02:20 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mani8448
Did you add your own insulation on top of the extra factory stuff in the MR Touring? If so would you mind sharing where you added it and what kind vs the results?

I have some GT mat I have been delaying putting in but wouldn't mind some advise on where to put it for best effect per $.

OP - Radio off I know what you are talking about, I can hear the mirrors and tires etc. at speed. Not too often I DD without tunes though.....mostly notice it when I try to Bluetooth a call through the car.
I used a combo of RAAMat and Ensolite. I did all the panels, doors, firewall, federwells, some floor, besically everything but the roof.