Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Daily driving an Evo x?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily driving an Evo x?

I'm just wondering how many people Daily Drive their Evo X with 400whp+? I have owned many cArs but they were mostly my weekend warriors. Im looking to buy a new car and my choices Are either a 2014 Jetta GLI 30th edition which is a nice 2.0t sedan and can be modded but I wouldn't overly mod.

Or go with a Evo x but I know il get the mod itch the evo x and try to shoot for 400whp+. But this would be my daily driver. So id like to know how many of you daily the Evo x and how do you like it? Is it reliable or are you fixing it every other week.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
100% dependent on your tuner and choice of parts. If you build poorly and have a crappy tune, you will have problems. Good modifications and a quality tune and 400hp DD should be fine. If you start pushing for 450-500 you need deep pockets and yes things can start to break with more regularity at that point imo.

I think just keeping the torque around 350 and power around 400 or so is the best bet for a DD but other more experience people can chime in as well.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
I daily drive a Evo X and love it. I kept the modding to a minimum, just did the basics. Intake, test pipe, exhaust, and 3 port boost controller. Everything else is stock, including the fuel pump and the injectors. It makes 335whp and 330wtq and thats perfect for the street in my opinion.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
I daily drive a Evo X and love it. I kept the modding to a minimum, just did the basics. Intake, test pipe, exhaust, and 3 port boost controller. Everything else is stock, including the fuel pump and the injectors. It makes 335whp and 330wtq and thats perfect for the street in my opinion.
Very little mods for thr result. Nice.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:08 AM

I daily drive my evo a little over 66 miles each day and love the car. I make 352hp and 298wtq with a Garrett gtx3076r turbo, ams widemouth, cnt catback, 1000cc injectors, and an ams short ram intake. Everything else is stock. The car is a great dd, pretty comfy too for longer commutes. Also, a great winter warrior. The car has almost no problem with snow even when it's deeper than the ride height, and that's with half bald summer tread! Only downfall in my eyes... thin paint.

Last edited by Mihoerck79; Mar 24, 2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

I'm just under 400, i got retuned on 91 (moved to ca) gheeey. but i daily it, **** most of the time my wife daily the evo and i take the GTI. no major problems yet & going on 30k miles strong with driving cross country from FL to CA & a trip from CA to northern washington once.

and I've done fuel pump, injectors, manifold back exhaust, was on e85, all piping, intake, intercooler, electronic boost controller, basic bullshhiiiat.

plan on doing a 6262 build and keeping it daily

Last edited by Gtizks; Mar 24, 2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mihoerck79
I daily drive my evo a little over 66 miles each day and love the car. I make 352hp and 298wtq with a Garrett gtx3076r turbo, ams widemouth, cnt catback, 1000cc injectors, and an ams short ram intake. Everything else is stock. The car is a great dd, pretty comfy too for longer commutes. Also, a great winter warrior. The car has almost no problem with snow even when it's deeper than the ride height, and that's with half bald summer tread! Only downfall in my eyes... thin paint.
That must be a VERY conservative tune?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by e_kobz
been DDing mine for coming up on 3 years now with the same mods.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by ChipperEvo
been DDing mine for coming up on 3 years now with the same mods.
It's a great DD setup. Just get it to breathe better, nothing more.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 03:11 PM

i third this.. Kept my mods to a minimum: Test pipe, UICP, Cat, Tune= Profit.. No issues till date and I doubt any will arise
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:29 PM

I just got mine in January and DD it in the NYC metro area and am loving it sofar. My trackcar is an E46 M3 on Moton coilovers. This is my first Japanese turbo can and Im enjoying all the torque and short gearing on the streets. Just did AMS downpipe, hi flow cat and ets quiet exhaust and OTS COBB tune and it woke the car up nicely. I am shooting fo r350WHP by adding a front mount, boost controller and protune. Then Im done.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
That must be a VERY conservative tune?
As long as it's safe power I'm fine with it till I get another dd. I really don't want to start putting money into the sst or engine yet. Not sure how much torque stock sst trannys and a stock engine can take.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
I have been DDing my X with full bolt-ons for almost 2 years now. No issues at all, just keep up with the scheduled maintentance and you'll be fine. I am hoping to get a BBX full one of these days, and I'll still DD it with that.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheDough
I just got mine in January and DD it in the NYC metro area and am loving it sofar. My trackcar is an E46 M3 on Moton coilovers. This is my first Japanese turbo can and Im enjoying all the torque and short gearing on the streets. Just did AMS downpipe, hi flow cat and ets quiet exhaust and OTS COBB tune and it woke the car up nicely. I am shooting fo r350WHP by adding a front mount, boost controller and protune. Then Im done.
Why protune? Why not open source?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by shekaar
I have been DDing my X with full bolt-ons for almost 2 years now. No issues at all, just keep up with the scheduled maintentance and you'll be fine. I am hoping to get a BBX full one of these days, and I'll still DD it with that.
Unless you know of a place that still has BBX turbos or can find a used one, good luck to you. I wanted to do a BBX Full turbo and they don't make them anymore was what I was told. Ended up going with a GTX3076R from Garrett because I was told it was pretty similar. Hope you find one though!

Quick Reply: Daily driving an Evo x?