Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Stuck brake caliper pins

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Stuck brake caliper pins

Hey all,

So I have been trying to get the pins off my front calipers and they are not budging.

I have been reading through some older threads and tried everything. Liquid Wrench, heating them up but still I am only flattening the head of the pin with my punch...

Anyone have any advised as to what I try next? I am half tempted to just cut these ****ers off and get a new set up pins...
Old Jul 20, 2015, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by ChipperEvo
Hey all,

So I have been trying to get the pins off my front calipers and they are not budging.

I have been reading through some older threads and tried everything. Liquid Wrench, heating them up but still I am only flattening the head of the pin with my punch...

Anyone have any advised as to what I try next? I am half tempted to just cut these ****ers off and get a new set up pins...
Are you talking about the two pins that hold the pads in place?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

yeah the pins that hold the plate spring and the pads...I was hammering away at it all night and it will not move at all. I was hitting it hard enough to flatten the head of the pin but still won't budge!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
i suppose you could just order new ones. And just cut the pins from the back of the caliper and see if they just come out then. That is odd that they are stuck ive changed mine a few times.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

I just changed by brakes like 3 months ago and they came out fine. I am getting some weird rubbing sound when I brake so I was going to check the pads and now they won't freaking move. I will try to hammer them out but if no go, I am just going to get the dremel out and cut them off. arrrgh
Old Jul 21, 2015, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChipperEvo
I just changed by brakes like 3 months ago and they came out fine. I am getting some weird rubbing sound when I brake so I was going to check the pads and now they won't freaking move. I will try to hammer them out but if no go, I am just going to get the dremel out and cut them off. arrrgh
I had the same issue with my SRT8, same pins.

Spray a little Penetrating Oil on them and let them sit, the rust has bonded them too tight to break free. (May hurt the caliper paint though)
Old Nov 30, 2015, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did this go for you? U can't do my rear pads and the fronts were a ***** to remove. Its get cold out and I'd hate to do this in the snow. Do you remember the part number?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

I took a needle nose plier and wiggled them back and forth after letting them soak in PB Blaster. Still took a good amount of hammering but they did come out. I did get a replacement set from Autozone's website:

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...?checkfit=true