Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

odd vehicle problem, seemingly random limp mode

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
odd vehicle problem, seemingly random limp mode

2013 evo x mr
30k miles
no mods

over the last few months I have had a reoccuring intermittent issue where the vechile goes into limp mode for seemingly no reason. Two of the four times I have not received a CEL, the other times i got P2733 and one for 'Pressure Control Solenoid "B" stuck on'. in all occurences letting the vehicle sit overnight or even just for an hour or two has managed to fix whatever problem and turning the car off and back on after that removes the CEL.

my local dealer could not recreate this problem and spent about a week checking on various things calling me and giving me nothing but the same bad news that they cant find a problem.

the problem seems random, when its having this issue if my rpms go over 1500-1800 i still show that im in first gear, but its like the car is in neutral. this is followed by some fairly extreme shift shock when the rpms dip back down below that range. i am also locked into first or second gear.

the first time i had this issue i was at a local event and unfortunately got stuck there at idle speed for roughly 2.5 hours. the event was in a different city 20 minutes away by interstate, so it would have been going at least 70mph. there were no issues until i got out of the event and had begun slowing down again to turn into a driveway in the same town

the second time, i was driving home from work. the drive was about 15 minutes long mostly 40mph but theres a mile or two at 60mph. the drive was fine but after i turned it off for a minute tops to hop out and grab the mail, it had this same problem and i had to idle for the rest of the way home

the third time, is fairly similar, i had just driven home via the same drive as always and was headed out again, i got to a 60mph road, theres a stop light that had turned green as i had almost stopped and right as the car was about to shift into first i gave it some gas and had this same problem. - this was mentioned to the dealer but didnt help them recreate the issue. i have since tried to force this situation with no luck either, so it seems unrelated.

the fourth time, a few hours after driving home from work we drove again to a town about 20 minutes away by interstate and made it there without problems, our errand took roughly 10 minutes and when we tried to leave the car didnt want to get out of the parking lot.

between the second and third time i had the transmission fluid changed, between the third and fourth time i took it back to the dealer and was told the tech put too much transmission fluid in.

as far as i can tell there are no new or odd noises coming from the car while i drive it, but the last two times i was sure it was going to happen before it did so it seems something is tipping me off before it happens but im not sure what.

has anyone had similar issues or can maybe point me in a direction for how to break it again so they can replace whatever needs fixing?

Last edited by xxorathaa; Apr 17, 2017 at 06:52 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old Apr 17, 2017, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Try checking this:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-do-asap.html

Actually scratch that it seems like an issue with your transmission. Being an MR it almost sounds like you're about to loose a magnet in your transmission, something I had happen to me. Since you are un-modded your best bet is to just keep driving the car until it has an issue that is repeatable and able to be diagnosed by the dealership. Chances are you will get a new transmission out of it and be on your way.

Our transmissions have two sets of clutch packs. When a magnet goes out in a gear, lets say first, it will then only allow the transmission to shift into 2nd or 4th until that issue clears.

Until your transmission gets 'worse' they won't be able to verify that problem I am guessing.

Last edited by Napalm_Enema; Apr 17, 2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:00 AM

i should have also noted i can manually shift it to second with the paddles, but it will not let me go to third and it still reacts the same over 1500-1800 rpms

Last edited by xxorathaa; Apr 17, 2017 at 09:02 AM. Reason: more detail
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

That is your transmission - your dealership needs to replace it.

Here is how it works -

You have the clutch packs for odd gears. So you have one set for 1,3,5 and you have a second set for 2,4,6

What is happening, more than likely, is the tiny magnet at the top of one of those sets of gears is getting loose. This is a KNOWN ISSUE with the MR transmission. I would actually say to the dealership 'I think there is a loose magnet in my transmission please get in touch with corporate to begin getting me a replacement transmission'

At any rate, with the clutches as they are above, when you have an issue with the magnet on the 1,3,5 you wouldn't be able to shift from 2nd gear to 3rd, or from 4th to 5th. But you could probably tap the paddle twice and get from 2nd to 4th for instance.

Now your 'feel' of failure may be different than mine. Mine would rev like it was almost in neutral then it would skip gears when shifting. This is a self protection mechanism of the transmission.

Because I had a modified car my repair was about 3500 bucks from a shop here locally that specializes in the SST transmission. I wouldn't trust ANYONE to do this work other than them or someone they said could do it as well. (I used kozmic motorsports for the repair)

So because you are NOT modded (lucky for you), your dealership needs to swap out your transmission and wish you a good day.

Some info on what I'm talking about:

https://www.jackstransmissions.com/p...blems-upgrades

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...p1833-cel.html

https://www.boostedforums.net/showth...0777-and-P2733

FOUND THIS GEM - LOOKS LIKE THIS CAN BE USED TO POINT YOUR DEALERSHIP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION - YOUR TRANSMISSION WILL NOT HEAL ITSELF lol HAVE THEM START THE REPLACEMENT PROCEEDINGS!

http://mmc-autoelectric.org.ua/manua...0013800ENG.HTM
The following users liked this post:
xxorathaa (Apr 24, 2017)
Old Apr 20, 2017, 05:21 AM

Well, I took it to the dealer and told them about the magnet. I also managed to get the car to have issues again last night. I took a number of screenshots from the torque app. I don't know what standard clutch temperatures are but these seemed high. Either way I mentioned warranty work on the trans. Here's hoping they don't drag their feet.

in the event nothing happens, anything you suggest watching in the torque app or whatever obd2 reader.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xxorathaa
Well, I took it to the dealer and told them about the magnet. I also managed to get the car to have issues again last night. I took a number of screenshots from the torque app. I don't know what standard clutch temperatures are but these seemed high. Either way I mentioned warranty work on the trans. Here's hoping they don't drag their feet.

in the event nothing happens, anything you suggest watching in the torque app or whatever obd2 reader.
Honestly, just drive it till it has a major malfunction and take it in. When my issue started Kozmic Motorsports gave me a lot of info on the SST transmission. It's very good at protecting itself from catastrophic damage, however until it really starts having a consistent issue then just keep driving it.

If you had questions about clutch temperatures and what is normal you could try reaching out to Kozmic, but they are very busy so not sure how long to get back to you.

At the end of the day, just be persistent with the dealership, tell them this is not normal or expected behavior and that you are assuming they are getting in touch with Mitsubishi for a replacement transmission. Hopefully they ate the cost for the multiple transmission oil changes you got, as those are PRICEY.

Good luck, but stay firm and get them to assist you. You shouldn't have to drive a car with a warranty that has a transmission issue. They need to fix it!

STAY ON TOP OF THEM, BUT NICELY until it's time to get mean if necessary...
Old Apr 21, 2017, 03:33 PM

When I took it in this time of failed multiple transmission tests, I get a new one! However I have a question. Are the clutches part of the transmission? I'm curious if I should be bugging them to replace anything else that would have received excess wear or possibly broken.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

You have 30k miles. I'd say 'may as well'. If you plan on keeping it stock, leave the stock clutch packs in. If you ever intend to add power, good time to put in better clutch packs (call Kozmic Motorports to get those) and have those put in. Dealership might want to insist on sticking with stock for warranty, which is fine, so go ahead and buy a set of OEM and put them in. (you can ask your dealership if they care what kind of clutch packs are in there, then decide) Eitehr way, may as well start fresh imo.

Grats on new transmission!

Last edited by Napalm_Enema; Apr 21, 2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old May 7, 2017, 06:36 AM

Do you know what the safe operating temperature of the clutches is? I got my car back today and was told it was temperature related, I still show some pretty high numbers for these.