Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

faint but high pitched whine/noise

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 06:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
faint but high pitched whine/noise

I know it's kinda late but I was hoping to maybe get some input and opinions on a strange noise that I'm trying to troubleshoot on a 2013 GSR. It's extremely hard to describe but I'll do the best I can....

In a nutshell, while driving the car, I recently started to hear a strange high pitched noise (whine/whistle) coming from the engine bay. My guess is that it is around the turbo since it can be heard near the center of the dash (radio area). I've completely unplugged the radio to make sure that it is not the radio itself but the noise is still there. It is extremely faint but is audible. The noise can only really be heard if the windows are up and the radio is off and on light throttle. I'm sure the noise is still there with increased throttle, just can't be heard ovee the other engine noise. It seems to be most apparent around 3k RPM. It's hard telling but it sounds like the noise starts around 2.5-2.8k when the turbo typically starts to spool (but it is possible the noise is there at a quieter noise level). I know I can definitely hear it around 3k and on.

I have looked around and cant seem to figure out where it's coming from in the engine bay. It literally cannot be heard from the engine bay itself. The noise seems very steady. It can also be heard when revving in neutral so I know it's not transfer case/etc. I thought about taking a video but the noise is so faint that I don't think it will pick up. As you increase the RPM, it doesn't change pitch, it just sounds like a constant whine..... it may somewhat get louder but if it does, it's not really noticeable.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? I have yet to take the manifold off but will likely be doing that soon. I purchased another turbo in case it is that so that I can replace it. I checked for shaft play and it doesn't really seem like there's much. The car has about 50k miles on it and it's on the OEM turbo. The turbo is also ran at 24psi with a 26psi spike.

Side question: While I'm thinking about it, is it really necessary to drain the engine coolant when you do a turbo swap on the X?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds like you need to trace all piping, loosen and tighten it. Upper intercooler pipe more than likely leaking.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Sounds like you need to trace all piping, loosen and tighten it. Upper intercooler pipe more than likely leaking.
I've checked the UICP and didn't see any leaks. If it was leaking, wouldn't I be able to hear it if someone was revving the engine for me? That's really the only reason why I'm suspecting the issue to be around the turbo. I also have a stainless steel UICP which is cranked pretty tight with T-Bolts. It's not like a hissing or anything of the sort. It's literally a constant whine after about 2.8k RPM. Turbo builds boost fine and is hitting target boost no problem. I do not see any smoke or smell anything abnormal during WOT. Everything seems to be functioning fine with the exception of that faint whine. Tomorrow I'll look over the UICP once again tho just for something to do.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 07:59 PM

Ok so i found a video that has a similar sound. That very high pitched whine is what it sounds like. Also if you hear the noise and then put it in neutral, it kinda sounds like it winds down as the noise fades away. Again it sounds like its coming from between the turbo and firewall and can not be heard under the hood.