Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Louder Turbo Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Evo X Louder Turbo Help

This is a VERY newbish question I know but im very curious. My Evo X Final Edition is BONE stock and has 10k miles. The turbo itself is very quiet and this is my first ever turbo car, I was wondering if their was a way to make the turbo/bov louder without any intakes/pipes/tune etc. Getting a different bov maybe? Just wondering if anybody on here had advice. Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 08:08 PM

After doing some research, I found that just changing the stock air filter to a AMS/ETS (etc) filter and removing the stock airbox will give me the sound I want. Is this true? Will doing just the filter mess with any excess air being taken in? I dont want to change the stock tune if i dont have to. I know this is a very strange and ricer thing to ask but i want to hear it lol
Old Jul 3, 2018, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You don't need to retune for a filter.

You will be hard pressed to hear the turbo spool with the stock unit. Like you said, they are very quiet.

If you add an intake with metal pipes and cone filter, you will hear it more but it's not really the turbo noise but sound of air being sucked in by the intake.

As for the diverter valve, you can get after market units that are louder.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
It will get you very minimal gains, not sure if that filter is ok to run stock or not (I haven't researched either way). The Cosworth drop in filter (no oil needed) does work with stock. I can't say it made a big difference in noise, you would really need a cold air intake for that, which generally needs a tune. I'd instead suggest you look at an exhaust for more noise, they sound great on these cars and will give you the added sound you are looking for without harming your car. (By harming I mean running a more aggressive intake without a tune) Keep in mind that changing the intake on these cars won't net you much if any power.

So doing it is just for noise, then when you want one you can actually hear you have to shell out for a tune as well, or run it without one which won't be ideal. If you plan on modifying the car, then I'd suggest getting a couple parts together first, then getting it tuned all at once so you save some money. (a tune is around 4-500) Test pipe, EBCS, Cold Air Intake, Upper Intercooler Pipe/Lower intercooler pipe - Tune. You can drop off the intercooler pipe and the intake if you wanted, and just go test pipe / EBCS and a tune as that gets you the most gains. (add the CAI for more whooshing sounds)

Good luck and enjoy! It's a great car but keep in mind any drastic change in flowed air usually would be best to tune for.

Next up - find a good EVO tuner in your area, or there are ones that will tune you remotely with road tunes you work out with them. wtftuned.com is a great resource for that, and there are many others.

Sorry for the novel hope this helps
Old Jul 3, 2018, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Even with all bolt ons and a tune the Evo still just sounds like a loud vacuum cleaner, or maybe a blender.

If the air woosh is what you want you will need a short ram or a cold air intake. Something with a filter element that is open to the air. These normally increase the mass airflow sensor housing diameter for more airflow and require a tune to compensate. Otherwise the car will be drawing in more air than what the computer thinks and you will run lean. Because the diverted valve recirculates back into intake, having a filter element that is close to the diverter valve pipe (like in a short ram intake) will greatly enhance the PSHHH noise you get when you let of the gas or shift.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Getting a short ram intake that retains the stock MAF housing size (like the ETS) is probably the only way to get the noise without needing a tune, but even then you may run too lean. If you were deadset on no tune I would still recommend an air/fuel gauge so you can at least see how lean or rich you are running in real time.

And let's face facts here, one way or another, within two years your Evo will be full bolt ons with a tune just like the rest of us
Old Jul 3, 2018, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Apexi intake is the loudest I know. You still re-circ your BOV, and without other mods you don't need a tune. You will hear the pffsshhhh of the BOV like you want.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:42 AM

Definately the airbox will makes a huge difference to hearing the turbo. I run an AMS & I love hearing my Garret spool....
Old Sep 7, 2018, 01:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hacob94
This is a VERY newbish question I know but im very curious. My Evo X Final Edition is BONE stock and has 10k miles. The turbo itself is very quiet and this is my first ever turbo car, I was wondering if their was a way to make the turbo/bov louder without any intakes/pipes/tune etc. Getting a different bov maybe? Just wondering if anybody on here had advice. Thanks!
ayeee another Final Edition!

Honestly if you want to keep it as stock stock as possible, just go with an aftermarket Intake! I’d recommend the ETS intake. You’ll get a more noticeable spool and a louder ‘woosh’ noise.

Hope thats what youre you’re looking for