Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to: Oil and filter change on the EVO X

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 on the tranny and rear diff !
Old Dec 30, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

+ 2 haha... so how come you are using castrol? and not mobil1? perference or is it better?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
tranny and transfer case can be found here

www.evogarage.net
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shabarivas
+ 2 haha... so how come you are using castrol? and not mobil1? preference or is it better?
Castrol or Mobile 1 ... I don't care. I usually buy what's on sale. They are both STELLAR synthetic lubricants.

I've used variants of both brands back when I was a mechanical engineer designing equipment and for 20+ years of racing with outstanding results. Synthetic lubricants are all so damn good its hard to find one that's remarkably different from another. Every time I open up an old race motor that had synthetic oil all of the bearing and ring surface look so good its unreal (compared to engines that have used dino based oils).

Sometimes on some beater cars I'll use dino oil, but only Castrol GTX (it always obliterates other dino oils in testing).

OK, I could go on and on about oils and testing, but that wasn't the intent of this thread. Just a quick "this is the EVO X oil change" how to.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NMX
Thanks for doing this writeup! Wasn't trying to find fault with your how to, just trying to warn others based on what I've heard about overfilling leading to aeration/foam. You seem to have much more experience with it than I do, so I'm definitely not trying to argue. I'm probably just crazy about being exact with my oil levels
Likely 4g63 people... that engine made way too much crankcase pressure and would blow your dipstick out (ouch!).
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Fair
Castrol or Mobile 1 ... I don't care. I usually buy what's on sale. They are both STELLAR synthetic lubricants.

I've used variants of both brands back when I was a mechanical engineer designing equipment and for 20+ years of racing with outstanding results. Synthetic lubricants are all so damn good its hard to find one that's remarkably different from another. Every time I open up an old race motor that had synthetic oil all of the bearing and ring surface look so good its unreal (compared to engines that have used dino based oils).

Sometimes on some beater cars I'll use dino oil, but only Castrol GTX (it always obliterates other dino oils in testing).

OK, I could go on and on about oils and testing, but that wasn't the intent of this thread. Just a quick "this is the EVO X oil change" how to.
wait untill Oil doc will see this....
Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robevo RS

Robevo

So Fair, any updates on any lubrication points on the X? Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

this is great. Now could some one do the same for tranny fluid change?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Great post. Thank you..

WM
Old Jan 4, 2009, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

That was a classic right there.

Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

for those of us that dont have lifts where do you suggest jacking up the car? One jack in the middle of the front somewhere or two jack stands in the front or some rhino ramps? Since Ill have to jack the car up is the slope going to affect oil drain? Should I drop it back down as the oil is draining then lift back up once im done?
Do you replace the crushwasher or do anything with that?
Thanks a lot for the write up. As you can tell Ive never changed oil on a car and my X is coming due for its first change. Ive been looking up how to change oil in general but this definitely helped a lot being specific to my car.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by malves85
for those of us that dont have lifts where do you suggest jacking up the car? One jack in the middle of the front somewhere or two jack stands in the front or some rhino ramps? Since Ill have to jack the car up is the slope going to affect oil drain? Should I drop it back down as the oil is draining then lift back up once im done?
Do you replace the crushwasher or do anything with that?
Thanks a lot for the write up. As you can tell Ive never changed oil on a car and my X is coming due for its first change. Ive been looking up how to change oil in general but this definitely helped a lot being specific to my car.
Malves,
I posted this thread.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...floorjack.html

WM
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Is there any blank plugs near the oil filter like on the VIII/IX just if someone wanted to run an oil pressure gauge or something?? I haven't taken a look for one yet I forgot to when I changed my oil.... duh! lol
Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

According to the service manual, the oil change should be 5.64 qts. I used 5, ran it, shutdown and found it was almost 1qt low. THEN AGAIN, I actually drain the oil from the oil cooler, something most people don't bother with...
Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lallen3
According to the service manual, the oil change should be 5.64 qts. I used 5, ran it, shutdown and found it was almost 1qt low. THEN AGAIN, I actually drain the oil from the oil cooler, something most people don't bother with...
How exactly do you drain the oil cooler??? I NEED to do this next time...

Quick Reply: How to: Oil and filter change on the EVO X