Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

ETACS options customization

Old Apr 28, 2014, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Going to San Diego mid May, should I take my cable with me?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vadimus_ca
Going to San Diego mid May, should I take my cable with me?
Yes! I'll drive to meet you.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

You have your own cable, did you try it with ETACS Decoder?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:40 PM

Going to try it soon. Car is completely down at the moment.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:45 AM

Car will be down for another 3 months while the motor is being built. I have the ecu out. Can I just send it to you?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 09:40 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but will this work with the 2015 MR?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

It will.
BTW now Tactrix OP 2.0 is supported as well, no need to buy weird cable anymore.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 08:00 AM

Perfect, I was planning on ordering one soon anyways. Looks like it just moved up on the priority list. Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 03:16 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It will.
BTW now Tactrix OP 2.0 is supported as well, no need to buy weird cable anymore.
Nice! I missed that update!

I'm glad as I always thought the knockoff cable was pretty janky and always worried that whatever switching relay inside of it would fail mid-operation.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:02 AM

It will.
This is good news. So what is the process to do it using the Tactrix cable?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jor-El
This is good news. So what is the process to do it using the Tactrix cable?
Download the program from the ETACs Decoder Forum. You need internet access while you use the program so keep that in mind when you are in your car.

Next you need to start the program and let it load.

Then you plug the Tactrix Cable in to the car and the computer and turn the ignition key to on. You then need to go to Menu -> ETACS -> Connect.

All the lights on the bottom of the program should have changed from red to something else by now and you should be able to change anything you want. After you change something then hit Encode and after that hit Write to ECU.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 03:47 AM

Yeah. After some trial and error I got it to work
Old Aug 21, 2015, 07:50 PM

Need to make ETACS changes

So, I'm ready to make two ETACS changes. I need to change the stereo system to 'premium' and I would like the fog lights to work in both high and low beams. I am confused as to what I need to do to make this happen. It looks like I need a Tactrix cable and a computer program downloaded from the ETACs Decoder Forum. Is the cost and headache of doing all of this worth it or should I just take my Evo to the dealer and have them reprogram the ETAC system?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Weathergeek
So, I'm ready to make two ETACS changes. I need to change the stereo system to 'premium' and I would like the fog lights to work in both high and low beams. I am confused as to what I need to do to make this happen. It looks like I need a Tactrix cable and a computer program downloaded from the ETACs Decoder Forum. Is the cost and headache of doing all of this worth it or should I just take my Evo to the dealer and have them reprogram the ETAC system?
I doubt the dealer knows any more than you, let alone has the ability to change any of those settings
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:01 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Weathergeek
Is there a particular reason you want the fogs on with the high beams? If it isn't foggy all your fogs are doing is blinding oncoming traffic (not really even illuminating anything extra). If it is foggy you are blinding yourself with your high beams as they reflect off the water droplets. IMHO fog lights are somewhere between useless and a safety hazard in general.

That said - the dealer will likely not be able to change the fog light option for you.

My dealer wanted an hour of labor to change the door locks from open one door when you touch the handle to opening all of them. This can be done with the factory navigation system too, but the key fob button combinations given in the owner's manual did not work and I do not have navi. This was after having my KOS reflashed the second time and it still "forgetting" my FASTKEY FOB/remote unlock buttons (works fine at the door and ignition) but the car was then out of warranty. I also had the single step instructions on the menu items you need to access to change it with their scan tool and offered to walk the tech through it for the 5 minutes it would take. Changing the stereo is a similar operation, but your dealer may charge less (or do it for free if you order the stereo parts from them).

There are many other uses for the tactrix cable, but you are going to have a little bit of "figuring stuff out" to do to get this done. IMHO, I'd be buying the tactrix cable anyway - so it is a no brainer. If not, see how much your dealer wants to charge and weigh the cost benefit yourself.

Originally Posted by TravisF
I doubt the dealer knows any more than you, let alone has the ability to change any of those settings

Well, let your doubts be freed. The dealer has the ability to change the sound system type and has the knowledge and manual to do so. They likely cannot change the fog light option though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ETACS options customization