Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS....anybody have these?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
my question about the DWS tires is... unless you track your car and REALLY push it to it's limit... would you ever really notice the difference in them? Because I don't know about others, but I don't track mine, and if I were to do so, then I would be buying a dedicated summer tire... but here where there is equal amounts of sun and rain it makes more sense to buy an all season. Personally during normal driving I have not run across a problem with my stock advans.
I find the DWS to be a great daily driver tire. They are not as firm as the stockers. They are mushy. You can tell a difference onto on ramps etc. However, since I don't race on the street and really don't care to hang .9+ G's on the street, to me they are more than adequate. The ride, comfort and quiet, more than make up for the small handling that I gave up. I am in Cleveland OH and so far they have been great this winter. Deep snow, ice, slush, wet, cold, no problems. With a 50k warranty and only $135 each, I really don't see how you can go wrong for a daily driver. NO WAY would I pay $330 for new stock tires.....ever.....after driving on these. I do not track my car either, nor do I plan to.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Standing at the edge of the gene pool with a flamethrower...
do you have them?
Yes, I do (6000 miles). If you had read the entire thread rather than pullng the trigger without looking, you would see that.

The person I asked about having them will either lie and say he does, he knows someone who has them or is just going by what others have said.
I hope you werent referring to me when you made this statement.

And...stating that the OEM Advans are second to none in terms of grip and responsiveness illustrates your ignorance regarding both tires.

To the other poster, as I have stated before, I bought these tires because I needed a set of tires I could drive in harsh winter conditions yet drive into warmer states without switching tires/rims. Obviously dedicated winter or snow tires cannot do that.

Ive driven these tires through the South and Texas hill country in the dry, and this winter in the great lakes region. They have done exactly what I had hoped they would do so far.

Just the same, I will swith to an ultra-highperformance summer tire in the spring. One that will perform much better than the Advans-
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brest Phan
Yes, I do (6000 miles). If you had read the entire thread rather than pullng the trigger without looking, you would see that.

I hope you werent referring to me when you made this statement.

And...stating that the OEM Advans are second to none in terms of grip and responsiveness illustrates your ignorance regarding both tires.

To the other poster, as I have stated before, I bought these tires because I needed a set of tires I could drive in harsh winter conditions yet drive into warmer states without switching tires/rims. Obviously dedicated winter or snow tires cannot do that.

Ive driven these tires through the South and Texas hill country in the dry, and this winter in the great lakes region. They have done exactly what I had hoped they would do so far.

Just the same, I will swith to an ultra-highperformance summer tire in the spring. One that will perform much better than the Advans-
ok then... my mistake... can't argue that they are one of the best performing tires on the tireracks site rating wise. I personally think think the advans are excellent for dry conditions... I don't want some ultra high performance summer tire that i'm going to get 10k miles out of... it's just a stupid waste of money IMO. I'll sacrifice some handling to get all of the other stuff I don't get with the stock tires.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

ok then... my mistake... can't argue that they are one of the best performing tires on the tireracks site rating wise.

You may or may not love these tires.

They come with a 60 day return policy so you really cant go wrong. I bought them because I couldnt resist all the controversy and wanted to see for myself how they perform. If you dont like them you can get your money back minus mount, balance, and alignment which I truly recommend getting.

I think many dont get much distance out of the OEM Advans because they didnt get their Evo aligned right off the lot. I got 23,000 miles out of my Advans but I drove them right down to the wear bars. And they still handled predictably.

About Tire Rack. I like them. I have purchased my last four sets of tires from them. However I take their research and ratings with a grain of salt despite all of that being useful. When I called and made my purchase the guy I always buy from recommended against the DWS soley on the fact I drive an Evo. He told me I would hate them. He pushed the RE960 instead which does NOT get very high remarks or test results from Tire Rack. Personaly I think they might have an overstock of that tire.

Also, maybe dont be so quick to disregard the seasonal tire rotation. If you drive the average 12,000 miles a year, a good set of summer tires might last you 2-4 years depending on how you drive. Youve stated before that you dont push your car that hard (even though you have a tune), so I think summer tires would last you a few years if you swapped them out every season.

Combined those with a set of tires like the DWS or Micheline Pilot Sport Plus A/S which you could swap on for the fall, winter, and spring....or for taking long trips. You would save a lot of mileage on your summer tires if you had them.

Like Ive said before, the DWS are great for ice, winter, wet condtions, and long commutes. They dont feel so great on the warm and dry but they will get the job done. They are a decent tire for what I use them for.

Good luck-
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

You may or may not love these tires.

They come with a 60 day return policy so you really cant go wrong. I bought them because I couldnt resist all the controversy and wanted to see for myself how they perform. If you dont like them you can get your money back minus mount, balance, and alignment which I truly recommend getting.

I think many dont get much distance out of the OEM Advans because they didnt get their Evo aligned right off the lot. I got 23,000 miles out of my Advans but I drove them right down to the wear bars. And they still handled predictably.

About Tire Rack. I like them. I have purchased my last four sets of tires from them. However I take their research and ratings with a grain of salt despite all of that being useful. When I called and made my purchase the guy I always buy from recommended against the DWS soley on the fact I drive an Evo. He told me I would hate them. He pushed the RE960 instead which does NOT get very high remarks or test results from Tire Rack. Personaly I think they might have an overstock of that tire.

Also, maybe dont be so quick to disregard the seasonal tire rotation. If you drive the average 12,000 miles a year, a good set of summer tires might last you 2-4 years depending on how you drive. Youve stated before that you dont push your car that hard (even though you have a tune), so I think summer tires would last you a few years if you swapped them out every season.

Combined those with a set of tires like the DWS or Micheline Pilot Sport Plus A/S which you could swap on for the fall, winter, and spring....or for taking long trips. You would save a lot of mileage on your summer tires if you had them.

Like Ive said before, the DWS are great for ice, winter, wet condtions, and long commutes. They dont feel so great on the warm and dry but they will get the job done. They are a decent tire for what I use them for.

Good luck-
Ok, so if I didn't want to get 2 sets of tires... what would be a good tire to look at for all seasons? They wouldn't have to really be great for deep snow as I don't drive fast anyway and I can get out in 6 inches of snow on my advans... i'd like to get good dry grip... they don't have to be quite like the advans, I looked at the proxies 4, but snow wise they don't seem to do very well, I looked at a few others, but don't remember the names... I think they were Potenza's of some sort and the Pirelli Neogen I think it was?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, so if I didn't want to get 2 sets of tires...

Now thats the million dollar question isnt it. Many of us have searched for that pot at the end of the rainbow.

I looked for six years for my WRX and now Evo and still havent found it. Thats why I decided to cough up the bank for a dedicated tire for the winter and get tires for the summer eventually.

But....if I was to go with just one tire I would look hard at the Pilot All Sport A/S Plus. They are expensive but everywhere Ive looked they have gotten very good reviews and even my guy at Tire Rack finally agreed that they were an excellent tire even though he was pushing the RE960.

However I havent owned or even driven on that tire so I cant give you an opinion on them. I can only say that was what I was going to get before I purchased the DWS. Based on my needs I wanted a well handling road tire, one that was quiet, and would get a lot of wear.

Youre right the Proxies will not hndle that well in the snow.

The Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S that Tire Rack reviewed along with the Pilot All Sport, Goodyear Eagle, and DWS came in first place if I remember correctly in over all handling in the wet and dry (youtube), but the DWS won hands down on the wet, snow, and ice. The Pirelli has been very popular in the WRX and STi world for years if that means anything.

So I would look at those two, Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

Sorry for taking this thread off topic guys-

Last edited by Brest Phan; Feb 14, 2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Now thats the million dollar question isnt it. Many of us have searched for that pot at the end of the rainbow.

I looked for six years for my WRX and now Evo and still havent found it. Thats why I decided to cough up the bank for a dedicated tire for the winter and get tires for the summer eventually.

But....if I was to go with just one tire I would look hard at the Pilot All Sport A/S Plus. They are expensive but everywhere Ive looked they have gotten very good reviews and even my guy at Tire Rack finally agreed that they were an excellent tire even though he was pushing the RE960.

However I havent owned or even driven on that tire so I cant give you an opinion on them. I can only say that was what I was going to get before I purchased the DWS. Based on my needs I wanted a well handling road tire, one that was quiet, and would get a lot of wear.

Youre right the Proxies will not hndle that well in the snow.

The Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S that Tire Rack reviewed along with the Pilot All Sport, Goodyear Eagle, and DWS came in first place if I remember correctly in over all handling in the wet and dry (youtube), but the DWS won hands down on the wet, snow, and ice. The Pirelli has been very popular in the WRX and STi world for years if that means anything.

So I would look at those two, Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

Sorry for taking this thread off topic guys-
Only thing I don't like is hearing the lower mileage for the Pilot A/S tires. I have read a lot of good things about them as well though.
Old May 6, 2010, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

just saw these today on Tirerack, I currently got 14k on the stock Adv's. $150 per tire some cheaper yeah, but the 45,000 sticks out to me a lot. The thing is I live in Fl, and while many who bought this tire are in the snow regions I doubt this tire will do well for me here. I drive aggressive, if I see a nice turn I tend to throttle it a little more so I can compromise my traction in the turns. Everyone is saying the Mich Pilot sports a/s are the better choice but for $75 a tire more makes it harder to want them. I been really thinking about the Nitto 555 as a daily drive tire. They say to have the same tread wear and they are cheaper. Coming from an Altima that had conti's on them stock and killing them in 20k I swore to never buy conti's again. Seeing and hearing what people are saying though, I guess these will be good if I do go back north!
Old May 7, 2010, 10:01 AM

Good luck getting them. Tire Rack has them back ordered, Discount Tire is out of stock, and neither of them know when they are getting more.
Old May 7, 2010, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

If your not in a snow area, and want better water and dry traction, go with the DW tire. its superior in Wet and dry.

DWS (All Season)
*Ultra long tread life
*Very Good Wet traction
*Good Dry traction
*The ultimate in quiet and ride comfort, second to none.

DW (summer tire)
*Excellent Dry traction
*Excellent Wet Traction
*Comfort is good
*Tread life is just above average for this class of tire

For the EVO X, I would say go with the DW if you live in warm climates, the only negative for the DWS is that its too comfy, many of the pros I am learning from and driving with, tell me that if you dont have a solid connection with road in terms of feel, you tend to lose your situational awareness a bit when it comes to the track. As a Daily Driver, DWS is the way to go for max comfort.

Its funny, DWS tires are sold out everywhere. popular tire
Old May 8, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

nitto 555 all the way for me $140 ish isnt bad