Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rotas for track use.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My problem with Rota is that they use an established companies design and in turn the established company could lose business to people buying up the Rota's so cheap instead of saving up for the real thing. I agree with Frankiago, leave the Rota's, Konig's and Sportmaxx for the showcars.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
Here are my credentials:

And here are my two cents:

Everything that has been said with regards to Enkei RPF1's being awesome and extremely widely used by Evos is true.

Nothing about Rota's racing heritage is true.

I have a set of Advan RZ's as my DD wheels, RPF1's are about a pound lighter and .5" wider (for the particular sets I am comparing).

I hit raised aprons 4 or 5 times yesterday and did not even give a single ounce of worry about whether or not my wheel is going to hold up, instead I was focused on how much that's going to throw off my exit speed.

Stop defending Rotas, they are only good for budget show cars. Get 95% of the look at 25% of the price that's all they are designed for. That is it. For that, they are good. Do not put them on any kind of pedestal, especially if that pedestal is anywhere near the pedestal Enkeis, Advans, Volks, etc rest on.

For ****'s sake, look into CCW's for performance, just don't put "Rota" and "track" in the same, positive sentence. It should be a negative sentence with strong emotions
What are we looking at? Your slightly darkened calipers? Not exactly black or brownbo's.

I hit curbs, aprons, dibs, holes with no problem on my DPTs. I'm not putting Rotas on a pedestal, I simply don't agree with statements like "they're only good for show cars."
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know plenty of people tracking Rotas and they're a great wheel, but if your going for the best performance wheel (lighter/ stronger/ cheaper) there are better options out there.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

spend abit more and you get great wheels such as works / wedsports which looks SEX and performs well
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We'd suggest sticking with the stock enkei's which are really strong to begin with and you can easily up the tire up to 265, or if you save up a little more you can get something light weight and really strong like the Enkei RPF1, NT03 +m or the PF01.

Enkei's has incredible strength in their wheels and they are real light too.

As for Rota, I do know a couple teams that run them like the GST Subaru which runs Unlimited AWD, which shows that they can handle some abuse. however my two cents on it is remember that hard track driving for a couple days a year are nothing compared to the abuse of daily driving on bad road conditions. 90% of race tracks out there are maintained well and the road themselves are infinitely better in condition than all the crappy freeways out there so stress on the wheel is minimal as there are not many major gradient changes other than when you dip your tire bad in the dirt. Hit a really bad pot hole hard most wheels would bend, but remember that there really is a difference in strength due to material and manufacturing process, but the investment is really up to you.

Last edited by Gruppe-S; Jun 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Please no Rotas for track use.I have stock for track use,and Rota P45 for daily driving.
All four Rota wheels I had already handled.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 03:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Psssssssssssssst Click me I might be able to help you out with other options.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
We'd suggest sticking with the stock enkei's which are really strong to begin with and you can easily up the tire up to 265, or if you save up a little more you can get something light weight and really strong like the Enkei RPF1, NT03 +m or the PF01....
+1 but u must be smoking some crazy $hit if you think you could run a 265 on a stock rim especially at a track. a 255 is even 2 big for a stock rim, the highest you should run is a 245 unless you chucks of ur tires falling off
Old Jun 9, 2011, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy whatever wheel you wish. Everyone has a personal preference. I think it's funny how you can't even get hold of a set of rotas grids from wheeldude because they sell out in a heart beat. If rotas were as bad as people say they are, I wonder why do people continue to buy them. The enkei's are commonly used and good, but at the end of the day buy a wheel you're happy with. It's not worth going into debt over wheels.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Never had a problem with my Rota Grids yet.. and I drive on Michigan roads. I've pushed the car to the limits just as in a track condition, even hitting potholes.. zero problems. Several 'failed rota' pictures go around the web from people hitting curbs at 60mph and it ruins the reputation. Give me a Rays or Enkei and I can do the same kind of damage to it.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Volk users will always be hating Rota because of the fact that Rota stole the original designs that Rays/Volks spent endless amount of R&D to produce what it is today. If you want to wake up one day when all the true innovators are gone and there's only china/taiwan/Philippine wheels manufacturer that rips off other manufacturers design , by all means , support Rota.

Have some dignity and integrity when you mod your car. I'm sure all you Volks haters will jump on a set of TE37 over those Grids anytime if you had the money. Cmon man , save up for it and do it the right way.

I'm not bagging Rota cause their bad in performance, i'm bagging them cause of the fact that they stole great wheel designs like the TE37 and CE28N. If your on a budget , look at work wheels. Their amazing and the fitments they offer will suit the X easily.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Bent my "baller" advan RG on ONE track event (i didnt even go off)
Next event after fixing then found one cracked and one bent..........

Enkei Nt03+M have been 2 seasons of Time attack, been off, curbs , drop wheels off and slammed back on, etc One is "bent" a bit but you cant tell and it still fine....

Rotas are on plenty of my competitor/ friends cars and have 0 issues.

I vote Enkei or Rota for the cheap wheels, beware of Advan they arae soooooft

as you can see sometimes i clip a curb or 2

Last edited by BakaUnchi; Jun 9, 2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

The credentials are strong with this one ^^
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lpy2009
Volk users will always be hating Rota because of the fact that Rota stole the original designs that Rays/Volks spent endless amount of R&D to produce what it is today. If you want to wake up one day when all the true innovators are gone and there's only china/taiwan/Philippine wheels manufacturer that rips off other manufacturers design , by all means , support Rota.

Have some dignity and integrity when you mod your car. I'm sure all you Volks haters will jump on a set of TE37 over those Grids anytime if you had the money. Cmon man , save up for it and do it the right way.

I'm not bagging Rota cause their bad in performance, i'm bagging them cause of the fact that they stole great wheel designs like the TE37 and CE28N. If your on a budget , look at work wheels. Their amazing and the fitments they offer will suit the X easily.
Or some of us just don't want to spend thousands on a set of rims because the potholes damage them the same way they do the off-brands. I'd rather spend less money in replacements. I've already gone through the high price replacement game.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSP608
What are we looking at? Your slightly darkened calipers? Not exactly black or brownbo's.
Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing..

Quick Reply: Rotas for track use.