Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

can rain crack stock evo mani???

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can rain crack stock evo mani???

so ive done a half *** search and didnt really get an answer...

i drove my evo VIII in the rain for the first time a day ago,(got cought not by choice) i have a VIS carbon hood and its got a huge opening in it for heat escape, question is can the harsh rain cause the stock mani to crack??? i now have an exhaust leak coming from the font side of engine. i took all piping off to see if their was any holes and whatnot (none) and a buddy told me the gasket (cyl head to mani) could have busted or some crap.

what do you guys think?? the car was fine till a couple hours after the rain started, then it mad a loud *** leaking noise

any and all help greatly appreciated.

thanks

Chris
Old May 5, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

no it cant. its made of cast iron. now if u had a stainless steel manifold. that might be a different story
Old May 5, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

I have a stainless, and I run without the heat sheild on my stock hood. I run in the rain all the time, no problems as of yet. In your case, like lostsoul said the stocker is cast iron that thing is indestructable. Dont sweat it.
Old May 5, 2007, 06:39 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by LostSoul Evo
no it cant. its made of cast iron. now if u had a stainless steel manifold. that might be a different story
Did you mean tubular stainless steel? Just checking. Cast stainless steel will be better than cast iron.

Last edited by Vigo; May 5, 2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old May 5, 2007, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

damn... well do you guys think that the gasket(head to mani) could have just went out and let exhaust shoot out? im going to replace the gasket anyway to make sure but damn what else could it be? someone said that the penny valves??? could be making noise. but i laughed at it cause i thought he was pulling my chain like a Kneuter valve or some ****.....

thanks guys.
Old May 5, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Well, have you done any mods lately? And kinda off topic real quick, what part of Kentucky are you in?
Old May 5, 2007, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

no mods laity what does geographical location have to do with it?

Louisville area
Old May 5, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Put a wrench on the nuts on the studs attaching the manifold. If one turns and turns easily you have a broken stud.
Old May 5, 2007, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I highly doubted base on my own experience. I once (12 years ago) had to deliver pizzas on a Plymouth laser RS turbo. I had to drive without the hood in San Antonio for a few months and I recall driving in superheavy rains with the spark plus wires exposed, air filter(k&N) exposed and off course the header exposed. I never ever had any issues cracking the exhaust manifold.

Additionally I recall washing my car on a car wash and soaking and rinsing the header with water after driving it hard and still no issues.

Remember, I drove this car very very hard, so hard that if you were to pull over to the side of thje road you would see my headers glowing.

For that same reason I don't think a Evo header would even crack with a few rain drops, remember, I was driving hard and without a hood, the Evo has a shield.

You should be fine.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 5, 2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old May 5, 2007, 07:33 PM
Account Disabled

Cast iron is kinda prone to cracking if you were to hose it down with water AND it was glowing red hot. The heat shield takes care of this though. Investment cast stainless would be nearly impossible to fracture. Tubular stainless it really depends on the type of welding used, grade of stainless, and purging used. Cracking of metals has a lot to do with expansion rates on the inside differing from that of the outside so thickness has a huge role. Thus tubing should not crack as easily but at the weld area it can. Its not that it is a "poor" weld just that its not as effective in a certain situation. Purging, tig, penetration etc........
Old May 5, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03lan-evo
no mods laity what does geographical location have to do with it?

Louisville area

Around FT Knox?
Old May 5, 2007, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dan l
Cast iron is kinda prone to cracking if you were to hose it down with water AND it was glowing red hot. The heat shield takes care of this though. Investment cast stainless would be nearly impossible to fracture. Tubular stainless it really depends on the type of welding used, grade of stainless, and purging used. Cracking of metals has a lot to do with expansion rates on the inside differing from that of the outside so thickness has a huge role. Thus tubing should not crack as easily but at the weld area it can. Its not that it is a "poor" weld just that its not as effective in a certain situation. Purging, tig, penetration etc........
yeah i know about the welds cracking the tensile strength should be greater than that of the pipe if welded corectly. im a pipefitter so i am used to welding and know a little about it.

Originally Posted by Apex Racer
Around FT Knox?
about 30 minutes from it.
Old May 5, 2007, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03lan-evo
so ive done a half *** search and didnt really get an answer...

i drove my evo VIII in the rain for the first time a day ago,(got cought not by choice) i have a VIS carbon hood and its got a huge opening in it for heat escape, question is can the harsh rain cause the stock mani to crack??? i now have an exhaust leak coming from the font side of engine. i took all piping off to see if their was any holes and whatnot (none) and a buddy told me the gasket (cyl head to mani) could have busted or some crap.

what do you guys think?? the car was fine till a couple hours after the rain started, then it mad a loud *** leaking noise

any and all help greatly appreciated.

thanks

Chris
no way
Old May 5, 2007, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

ok so another question. can the exhaust gasket just go out like that? if it is indead the gasket? why just go out all of a sudden?

could it be something wrong with the turbo?

im new to the forced induction thing so i dont know.

i also notice the boost seams like its going up more now. im not sure but it looks like 3-4 PSI more. i never really looked at the boost gauge before so i cant be positive in that. doesn't feel like any power loss