Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Questions about the Autronic

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2005, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions about the Autronic

I am damn near about to buy the Autronic ECU but I do have a few questions first.

First of all, I have the Zeitronix Wideband controller... can I use this with the ECU? Can I use it to Autotune? On the Autronic website it seems that I can but sometimes I read on forums that you can't. What is the real answer? I assume you could definately look at the wideband readings after it is tuned but can you use it to Autotune as well?

Second question is about knock. I read the SM4 has knock control through timing and fuel but it doesn't seem the plug n play version does. How do you guys honestly tune it aggressively for the street (On pump gas) without seeing knock? Do you guys use the J&S Safegaurd or what??

Lastly, if I do get the plug n play version, what things do I need to buy to run it? I know it comes with its own pressure sensors and barametric crap but what about the intake temp sensor... do I need to get one or is it built in or what?

Other than that I think I am sold on the unit. I honestly would really like to have knock control or at least see it... perhaps you can log the voltage from the sensor and make a program that will at least help decern what is knock and what is noise? I guess I dont care that much about it retarding timing and crap for the knock but I would like to at least see if it is knocking. I would also really like to use the wideband I got already... I wouldnt think it would care if it is a different wideband as long as the readings are accurate.

Thanks for the info guys!
Old Jun 6, 2005, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.. I was wondering about each and every one of these same questions for the last week...

anybody?
Old Jun 6, 2005, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

The Autronic comes with Air temp and mapsensor 4.4bar, No you cant autotune with your unit but you can maneul tune with it,
No it doesnt have knock control most of these units dont work anyway when Autronic release one it will work, I would map it with the worst fuel you would use and run 1 dg off dett,
This unit is a top unit and will give you what you want.

Mark
Old Jun 6, 2005, 01:08 PM
Former Vendor

any other ques contact ben at efi101.com... he is the usa dist... as far as additional items, you need a laptop with at least windows 95..
Old Jun 6, 2005, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Well ok that sums that up. I guess my question is still about the knock... you say tune it to one degree from detonation... well what do people use to listen for detonation while tuning?

Another question I forgot to ask is about the maps. I can just load my different maps into the car whenever I want correct? Like if I get a race gas tune and a pump gas I just connect the laptop and load up whatever map I want to switch it?

I was also wondering what type of inputs/warnings I can set it up with and how I can make these warnings go off... Sorry for all the questions but it is very hard to find any info about this system. Could I input my EGT sensor and have it throw up a warning if it gets to a certain temp, same with coolant, etc, etc... and could i have it throw up a warning in the dash or something instead of needing a laptop to see the warning? Also, could I set a warning for a certain AFR at a certain RPM... like make it throw the warning if I am at 5k RPM and have 12.5:1 AFR? I have downloaded the software but cant seem to find much with the warning type stuff. Thanks again for all the help.. I also would call some people like Ben but would like to get as much info before i call someone and take up all thier time. Thanks a ton guys!
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Well ok that sums that up. I guess my question is still about the knock... you say tune it to one degree from detonation... well what do people use to listen for detonation while tuning?

Another question I forgot to ask is about the maps. I can just load my different maps into the car whenever I want correct? Like if I get a race gas tune and a pump gas I just connect the laptop and load up whatever map I want to switch it?

I was also wondering what type of inputs/warnings I can set it up with and how I can make these warnings go off... Sorry for all the questions but it is very hard to find any info about this system. Could I input my EGT sensor and have it throw up a warning if it gets to a certain temp, same with coolant, etc, etc... and could i have it throw up a warning in the dash or something instead of needing a laptop to see the warning? Also, could I set a warning for a certain AFR at a certain RPM... like make it throw the warning if I am at 5k RPM and have 12.5:1 AFR? I have downloaded the software but cant seem to find much with the warning type stuff. Thanks again for all the help.. I also would call some people like Ben but would like to get as much info before i call someone and take up all thier time. Thanks a ton guys!
Ok, I will try to answer some of your questions.

Tune with your ears! I know it might sounds stupid to many people, but there is really no device that can detect knock at 100% accuracy. A knock listener works, but human's ears are still the best device to determine rather it is knocks or engine/road noise. I don't use any device to listen to knock... simply roll up the windows, turn off the radio, and pay 110% attention to the engine noise. Start from a very conversative ignition and fuel maps, then tune to your desired AFR. Slowly increase your timing a little at a time and lift your throttle as soon as your hear knock... DON'T TRY TO RUN PASS THE POINT WHERE YOU HAVE KNOCKS. Once it started knocking, it is more prone to knocks until your lift your thorottle.
Check your AFR again after finshed with your timing map.

Yes, you can load any map at anytime as long as you rhave a laptop with you... and you can even make realtime changes without a need to shut off the engine. Each map is stored as a single file, so you can have as many maps as your harddrive allowed.

You can set your warnings in one of the menu, I forgot which. And yes, you can set warnings for AFR, but I am not sure if it can be done with RPM as a secondary criteria.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=BJai02]Ok, I will try to answer some of your questions.

Tune with your ears! I know it might sounds stupid to many people, but there is really no device that can detect knock at 100% accuracy. A knock listener works, but human's ears are still the best device to determine rather it is knocks or engine/road noise. I don't use any device to listen to knock... simply roll up the windows, turn off the radio, and pay 110% attention to the engine noise. Start from a very conversative ignition and fuel maps, then tune to your desired AFR. Slowly increase your timing a little at a time and lift your throttle as soon as your hear knock... DON'T TRY TO RUN PASS THE POINT WHERE YOU HAVE KNOCKS. Once it started knocking, it is more prone to knocks until your lift your thorottle.
Check your AFR again after finshed with your timing map.

Are you MAD you cannot hear dett safely like that, bolt a small dia copper tube on engine then run a pipe to it and then some ear defenders to this pipe this is the way you hear dett.

Mark
Old Jun 7, 2005, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

So in other words some sort of knock detection is definately a needed thing. So what do most people with Autronic use? That is really what I am trying to figure out. This so-called "Knock Link" thing? It looks kinda stupid to me but maybe it works. I know the J&S Safeguard is a really good unit but you gotta a decent chunk for it. Really is what I am trying to do is get a relatively easy to use Stand Alone but still has safety features that I can use... the EMS is what I was going to use but I can not seem to figure the software out for crap... it looks overly complicated. The Autronic software seems incredibly simple and easy to use but it lacks any knock detection devices.

Honestly do you guys think this is a better system than the AEM EMS? I already have pretty much all the sensors required to run an EMS or the Autronic unit. They will cost me roughly the same amount to purchase either of them. I just dont want to spend $1700 and then decide later that I want the other system for whatever reason.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

So in other words some sort of knock detection is definately a needed thing. So what do most people with Autronic use? That is really what I am trying to figure out. This so-called "Knock Link" thing? It looks kinda stupid to me but maybe it works. I know the J&S Safeguard is a really good unit but you gotta a decent chunk for it. Really is what I am trying to do is get a relatively easy to use Stand Alone but still has safety features that I can use... the EMS is what I was going to use but I can not seem to figure the software out for crap... it looks overly complicated. The Autronic software seems incredibly simple and easy to use but it lacks any knock detection devices.

Honestly do you guys think this is a better system than the AEM EMS? I already have pretty much all the sensors required to run an EMS or the Autronic unit. They will cost me roughly the same amount to purchase either of them. I just dont want to spend $1700 and then decide later that I want the other system for whatever reason.
Get yourself some Det cans i.e detenation headphones. Snap On sells a nice one. Tune w/ them and you will be much happier .
Old Jun 7, 2005, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mark S
Are you MAD you cannot hear dett safely like that, bolt a small dia copper tube on engine then run a pipe to it and then some ear defenders to this pipe this is the way you hear dett.
Mark
I actually have hooked up a KnockSense (known in Volvo community) to the factory knock sensor. It works like Knock Link, a LED lights up when the noise level is up to certain level. I also had made myself a knock listener that mounts to the block, with audible output to a headset. But in my experience, if they ever detected a kncok, I could most likely hear it by bare ears.

Those of you who are interested in making your own listner, check outthis page: http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=1353

If an active knock sensor is really needed, J&S has some very nice units that works with Autronic together.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

ok well I decided to buy the Autronic unit... where can I get one from for a reasonable price?
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:41 PM

ok well I decided to buy the Autronic unit... where can I get one from for a reasonable price?
If you want one PM me. I am an Autronic dealer.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Is there any link from web sites we can see the unit or purchase one?