Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Can I flash with openport 1.3R?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Can I flash with openport 1.3R?

On the website it says it is able to read and write with the 1.3r cable.

Limitless Designs - OpenPort 1.3R Universal USB Cable
Datalogging and EcuFlash Reprogramming Cable.
**High quality and high performance 16pin+12pin datalogger/reflash cable, capable of extreme high speeds.
Perfect for EvoScan (Subaru SSMII, Mitsubishi MUTII, OBDII), EcuFlash, OBDII software.
It turns out it won't work with ecuflash. I need the 1.3u. My question is why does the 1.3r cable have the white flash plug if you can't flash the ecu? Also the evoscan software has a button for reading and writing to the rom. Is this the same as flashing the ecu?
I searched for this but couldn't get a satisfying answer. Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Bump
Old Oct 27, 2009, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10isace
On the website it says it is able to read and write with the 1.3r cable.

It turns out it won't work with ecuflash. I need the 1.3u. My question is why does the 1.3r cable have the white flash plug if you can't flash the ecu? Also the evoscan software has a button for reading and writing to the rom. Is this the same as flashing the ecu?
I searched for this but couldn't get a satisfying answer. Thanks for your help.
I think this post has the answer:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7385758-post62.html

"The OpenPort 1.3D (only useful for Datalogging)
The OpenPort 1.3R (only useful for Datalogging and Reprogramming the ECU if using EVOSCAN, not ECUFLASH as it doesn't have the necessary ECUFLASH serial number)
The OpenPort 1.3U (useful for Datalogging and Reprogramming with ECUFLASH, has the necessary ECUFLASH serial number)"

Basically, the 1.3U has a built-in serial number required by ECUFLASH. I'm not sure why this is required. I suspect it's a feature to prevent users shooting themselves in the foot when attempting to use ECUFLASH with an unsupported cable that could cause damage.

I'm only starting to learn about tuning using ECUFLASH and EVOSCAN, so I don't know the answer to your read/write the ROM via EVOSCAN question. EVOFLASH is typically used for reading the ROM and flashing, while EVOSCAN is used for logging. I would think the read/write buttons would be used to load and store logs from EVOSCAN, but that's just my guess from reading/research.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks.

I found out I can read my ecu with the 1.3r and I'm able to write to it using evoscan. I don't see a lot of info on how to do write to it yet. I'm still learning about how to tune, but I don't see anything specific with evoscan on how to tune. I did read my current ecu settings which is pretty cool. I have no idea what I'm looking at, but it's a start.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 03:37 PM

Hey mate,

put the bin file to the ROMS folder of Evoscan under My Documents and rename it to hex.

So you can flash it then via Evoscan.

Regards
Old Oct 14, 2013, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

It's the 1.3u cable that costs more because you are paying for the license to use ecuflash software. I have the 1.3r cable also, the way I get around it is to use the new versions of ecuflash to make adjustments to my rom image and then all you have to do is use an older version of ecuflash (i.e. version 1.29 I believe) to flash the rom image to your ecu. Once you use the new version of ecuflash to alter your rom and save it then it doesn't matter what version of ecuflash u use to flash it back to your ecu because it is a saved rom image and not a "changing dynamic" file, meaning it doesn't change after it is saved or during the flash process. Sure its a little bit inconvenient to switch between two ecuflash programs but not THAT inconvenient. I should point out if you do it this way though you have to save the older version of ecuflash by changing the root folder name to something like ecuflash1.29 or else when you save it the new version would get written over. Then in openport folder there would be to subfolders ecuflash (new one) and ecuflash1.29 (old one for flashing) and you're done. It's way easier then it sounds btw lol

Last edited by jrainwater; Oct 14, 2013 at 07:57 AM.