Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

applied patches but still failing Washington State Emissions with 'not ready'

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
applied patches but still failing Washington State Emissions with 'not ready'

Hello all, I bought an 2005 Evo 8 recently and am running the 96940011 rom. I did my research and implemented the Rear o2 Heater Patch, the Rear o2 Sim Hook test, Rear o2 Sim Subroutine, and Heater Cel as well as the ODB Inspection patches. I changed the values as noted for 96940011 and turned off the rear o2 because it is completely removed (replaced with a wideband o2) and the emissions test still failed with 'not ready' errors for the o2 sensors.

I have no codes popping up as I have checked that with EvoScan. All values have been written properly to the ECU using ECUFlash. What am I missing? My understanding is that the patches I applied should still allow for readiness with the rear o2 completely removed. If I have to I can go get a 10k ohm resister and apply the anti-fouler mod to get it to work. But is there a strictly software method?

The other thing I noticed is that the emissions test showed a couple items not supported even though the ODB Inspection patches enabled everything...so I am a bit confused at what I am seeing. Like I said, I did confirm by reading the ECU that all the values for the patches were written to the ECU.

I appreciate any and all help. I need to get this baby registered. I live a bit too far away from English Racing (Spokane) or I would go stop by and have them look.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:15 PM

Side note, anyone got a stock 96940011 rom for a 2005 Evo 8? I noticed one of the previous owners tweaked this one a lot and I would like to start from scratch.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 01:05 PM

Still looking for the original rom for 96940011 but I might have identified my issue...will update tomorrow after making the necessary changes.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sources for stock roms:

http://www.evoscan.com/roms/mitsubishi/

http://evoecu.logic.net/wiki/Downloads
Old Oct 9, 2014, 01:57 PM

Thank you! Didn't know about the second link...the first didn't have the ROM. I appreciate it.

---edit

One site has the hex that won't load in ecuflash and the other has the xml. Still looking...

Last edited by kalendrinn; Oct 9, 2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:13 PM

So I was able to get the patches sorted out. Went down to emissions and I failed because all tests were set to pass (because of the OBD Inspection patch). Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure if they compared my results to my previous tests or if it just reads that the test is already completed and fails me.

Honestly at this point, I would like to get it looking as legit as possible. I have the narrow o2 that I can swap back in and plug back in but I have no catalytic converter and a straight pipe.

Please help.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 02:01 PM

Update:
I replaced the test pipe with a stock cat and put the narrow o2 back in and it was still saying incomplete for some of the tests and throwing P0138 for a bad o2 sensor. I am pretty sure the sensor is shot.

In light of that, I tried the patch path one more time instead of wasting another trip to emissions. The difference is I made sure that all tests were set to pass, but not all tests were set to available...only those for my vehicle. Given the base ROM (and previous tests) I was able to get a baseline on which ones were available, and then set only those to available.

Hope that helps someone else down the road. I also used the rear o2 sim in order to keep any codes from popping like the P0138.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
I just recently applied the patch and had emissions testing done in Washington state, the first time I failed because with the patch applied there were items that were in "ready" state that did not apply to the vehicle. This is what your tables need to look like in order to pass:
Name:  pass.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  110.9 KB
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have a Tactrix adapter yet so I needed to come up with another solution. Tried a few "tricks" I found online and they didn't work for me. I to have no cat and had a wideband in the rear O2 location. I came up with a solution using an Arduino. I put the OEM rear O2 back in for the first test but the circuit will work with only the front OEM O2 sensor and I use a 75 ohm 25 watt resistor on a heat sink to simulate the rear O2 heater circuit. The Arduino program basically reads a normal front O2 sensor oscillating reading between about 100 to 900mV and takes 50 samples, averages them and outputs the average value which is wired to the rear O2 sensor input to the ECU. This setup allows it to follow the average O2 reading as it rises and falls which I was not getting using only a fixed voltage or some of the other so called "tricks" I found. This worked like a charm. I needed to drive the car a few times and the next day all the ready tests were complete and no more catalytic or rear O2 sensor codes.

Planning on writing up a tutorial but haven't gotten around to it yet.