Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Just installed non-ic rrm turbo!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just take the whole kit off an re-install it step by step, that way you know you will do everything the exact right way this time. (seriously, it might be worth it to start over). Even disconnect all your lines, make sure there are no blockages, even oil lines. Any electrical connections you made, go out and buy a soldering iron (9 bux from radio shack) and solder all connections, or make sure you use those quick disconnects and they are making GOOD contact. Use a digital multimeter to make sure. (borrow one or buy one for 19 bux at radio shack). Sounds like something was put on improperly without you realizing it. I've seen so many success stories from these turbo kits, it is most likely either a setting got messed up on a regulator, or improper install. (by accident). I'm guessing you have the install guide? So go thru it step by step again, and 3x check everything if you don't take it ALL apart.
edit: Won't go over 4k rpms? Reset the ECU, or take the car in to have the transmission reset/reprogrammed. There is a transmission controller that could be messed up. On my talon, I had to get it reprogrammed twice, it was independed of the ECU. I couldn't shift out of 1st or 2nd gear, the car would just get stuck at the top of the RPM band.. so you could have a similar problem if it won't go past 4k rpms. (my talon was an auto as well)

Last edited by wiretap; Jun 30, 2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The transmission controls are part of the ECU on Lancers just FYI.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, wasn't sure about the lancer. I guess in newer cars everything is all in one.. heh. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 07:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, I think they stopped doing that in or around '95.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

I wont be able to disassemble this until saturday; i think it may be an exhaust leak as well. Last night it louder than before. So ill just lay off it until then. Ive reset the ecu twice. Once at the shop (and then the dumbass mechanics all reving it, until i told him to stop), and once yesterday (and this time i even did the whole 15 min drive thing). The reason i cant get past 4k is...well i dont know the exact reason but i do know the waste gate is open and screaming at about 4k (or an exhaust leak). Almost like i have a red line @ 4k! Well off to work; thanks again for all your help. Ill let you know what i find.
-Heath

One more thing; i dont know if this is a problem, according to the mechanic it should stop, but i had my entire head redone. All 16 valves replaced (changed the timing belt wrong), and now when its running; i here the clicking which he says is the lifters and they need to prime and it should stop. Well im on day 4 and i have yet to hear them stop. Are these ajustable? The car sounded like this before but VERY quietly (we've all complained about this noise once before). But now the damn thing sounds like a tractor. Any ideas?

Last edited by Kelspar; Jun 30, 2005 at 07:24 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, yea it could be an exhaust leak.. a pretty bad one. My mom hit an axe blade one time and it flipped up and punctured a 3'' cut in her muffer of her old van, and she could not honestly get past 15mph. Weird things can happen..
Old Jun 30, 2005, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

The mechanics could have messed up your car too, it is a possibility. But most likely no. When you get the car running with the turbo, take it easy. The valves and lifters just have to get the chance to be all lubricated and stuff. When I worked at a car dealership, all the hyundai's came like that off the truck making the same annoying noise. Take it around the block about 4x at around 3k rpms. It should go away. If not, take it back to the mechanic, cause something could be wrong.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Ok im @ work now. The ride over here was something else; the waste gate didnt open till around 4; i was able to achive the same amount of boost and it seemed a little better. But i still didnt have as much acceleration as i thought i would. I will reassemble the kit saturday. But the head has been ticking for like 3 days now.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

I'd take it to a different mechanic just to see if they know what the problem with the head is. (after you get the turbo fixed, cause they could just say thats the problem and not want to deal with it).
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Heres some tips i picked up from installing this so many times

1. look around your gaskets and see if they are black anywhere. if its before the turbo then that will slow your spool down.

2. get brakleen from kragen or autozone and spray it on your vacuum hoses, but dont spray it on anything thats powdercoated or itll bubble the paint.

3. to get rid of the wastegate noise go to any muffler/weld shop and tell them to make you a tube from your wastegate dump tube into your downpipe. itll be around $50 and take away that annoying sound (but you should get a catback if doing this)

4. take your wastegate off and make sure everything is there. there should be like a 1in diameter ring where it connects to the uppipe on the wastegate. (check the gasket)

5. you will eventually want to get metal gaskets for the wastegate because they will start leaking eventually

6. youll know when u have an exhaust leak when driving. you can hear air coming out of the pipe at low RPMs or you can stick ur hand at the flanges and feel air coming out. fix those as soon as you can

7. after tighting bolts on the exhaust, make sure you tighten them about 3 or 4 times after getting them hot to make sure that they are completely tight because they get loose over time and you might lose one.

that about does it for now
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

that ticking in the lancer is normal, our lifters are not adjustable, go to a local auto store and get Valve Medic by Gunk... it looks like this:
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
imapunkclaimer, u should really make stick post or something of all the posts u made of what to do to maintain or watch out about the IC turbo and non-ic turbo...my stg 2 turbo is in the mail and ur info u posted is gonna be really useful.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pictures will help more than words... heard what you've said and told you what's up... really i need pics to check things out more as it seems you've got a fuel issue not an exhaust leak issue!

Please get pics posted asap... as many as possible.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Taking Pics now, what would you like?

1 is bov
2 is dp
3 whole kit
4 original waste gate vaccume line i discorvered today; and replaced it but its still sounds the same and is doing the same thing
5 is turbo inlet from the uppipe (gasket)

let me know what other pics you would like....
Attached Thumbnails Just installed non-ic rrm turbo!-bov.jpg   Just installed non-ic rrm turbo!-dp.jpg   Just installed non-ic rrm turbo!-kit.jpg   Just installed non-ic rrm turbo!-origwastegateline.jpg   Just installed non-ic rrm turbo!-turbo.jpg  

Last edited by Kelspar; Jun 30, 2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

from your pictures it all looks fine to me...