Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

RIPP SDS and Winter Weather

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenPsycho
-Drivability? A lot of people think SDS people have a lot of traction problems in the winter, do you? What's better about drivability then N/A or FI?

I don't know of anyone that would think the sds has traction problems in the winter. Hell, I think me, nextgen, and blazin are the only ones that could vouch for SDS in snowy/icy conditions. I know I don't have less traction than when I was n/a, but I don't think I have more either, its pretty much the same because of the gradual boost and power curve.
Well, after this weekend in Boston, I have gotten quite a bit of experience in the snow. Traction is the same as NA. When I'm driving in shyt I'm not revving enough to go into boost anyways. Just wish I had LSD and ABS. But not like I had them before

Only advantage that I see is that it's a little easier to swing the front around when parking. And meth is good on the windshield.

My idle is a bit lumpy at the moment, but my front O2 has been effed for over a year now. I suspect that's the problem. Hopefully I'll get it fixed next week.

Jim
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:14 PM
Account Disabled

I've seen the software used for the black box... don't really know how adaptive it is as you say. I'd compare it to a utec but the programming has some additional advantages. Like it has relays inside for turning things on or off. Much like a fuel pump relay or even the meth injection.

However the box itself has nothing i can see as adaptive logics. Instead the map seems to be a linear deviation according to boost pressure/vacuum. This is very easily controled on an SC vehicle since the boost happens directly at the given rpm range and load. Basically same way every time.

A TC can have different effects... you can put it to 25% throttle and get 8psi at times or full throttle and still only get 9psi. This is what makes TC's harder to tune but they have the advantage of much higher earlier boosting periods.

The adaptability of the RIPP box seems to be in the stock ecu's compensation. They've closely mapped the tables in order to keep a great marriage between stock parameters and those needed to boost safely.

Lastly... this is the trick part... there's an open loop over-ride it seems. Seems like at a certain point the sensors get pinged with a voltage/frequency/etc. that will throw the car into an open loop. As most know, open loop is easy to tune and work in as the car won't try to correct your changes out. While this feature is cool it's not the best for MPG. However it works and some other piggy setups use them as well. Even RRM's new Split Second boxes do.

I'm sort of an electronics guy myself... finding this info wasn't hard after i investigated. Sorry to take some of the mystery out of things but in all the RIPP black box isn't that special. There are several new piggy's coming out from Emanage and Apex that are doing the same things. Maybe they pirated it from RIPP

I will say this though... over riding the engine for open loop can be dangerious. I've even seen guys blow their stuff up doing this. It's all in the tune. Timing and fuel are critical in open loop operations.

Sorry for the novel... just some good info and reading i feel.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 01:06 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, i'm not saying the blackbox is the best thing since sliced bread, but you have to admit, I believe its been out since 2004 or so, and for its time is was pretty new and nifty. Yeah, there are some better things coming out now (like emanage ultimate or whatever its called that you can hook into a wbo2 for self tuning)

But like I said, tuning isn't really my forte, as long as it works, i'm happy, I don't need to know exactly how it works
Old Dec 13, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Superior technology vs. Sliced bread....
Old Dec 13, 2005, 01:27 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by gregivq
Superior technology vs. Sliced bread....
That's funny...

I feel you there green... i'm super into the cars and electronics, including the tuning aspect of things. That's why i'm glad to have the software for my Ralliart. Now that RRM is releasing it there shouldn't be many more issues with that stuff.

I do agree that in the time it was conceived it was top shelf... just people always seem able to make top shelf for bottom shelf price available in mass quantities after a bit. At least it took them a few years right?

At any rate the new RRM box uses a dual processor setup due to the issues of cold climates. Also makes it's data acquisition and transfer rates way faster. Superior to others... NO WAY! Good enough for a safe kit... YEUP! Just like the RIPP stuff... it's all that is needed.

Funny though... looking at the split second software it has relay stuff as well. I called them and they said those are optional and built into the box at the vendors request. Since RRM doesn't use them they don't need them in there. I wish they would... it'd be nice to have for later. I'm thinking about adding some alky or meth to my kit.