Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

In What League is a RRM Turbo Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2009, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LancerJumpOff
Or even an extremeboost turbo lancer. I wanna know what cars should these people who buy the kits be expected to beat and be able to keep up with
Why are you so worried about beating any certain car? The thing is you don't need much to be a poor driver in a fast car. If you can get a car around 200hp and have good suspension you can be most cars with double the HP. It's called an auto cross, where bad driving shines through. As one person told me you can buy skill, so this is a low HP car can overtake a much faster higher HP car.

I use to own a 01 VW GTi with only about 200hp, I could take Corvettes, WS6's, among other cars that where much faster in a straight line then the VW.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sileighty95
Why are you so worried about beating any certain car? The thing is you don't need much to be a poor driver in a fast car. If you can get a car around 200hp and have good suspension you can be most cars with double the HP. It's called an auto cross, where bad driving shines through. As one person told me you can buy skill, so this is a low HP car can overtake a much faster higher HP car.

I use to own a 01 VW GTi with only about 200hp, I could take Corvettes, WS6's, among other cars that where much faster in a straight line then the VW.
dude i doubt a corvette took you serious you probably just drove by him all fast and said you won cus trust me i have driven a corvette and its a beast its a race car and it doesnt matter who is driving if a corvette was really racing you would of got smoked good driver or not!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
5G's and only beating the Is . I only have a couple hundred in mine and wooping my Gf's slightly modded 08 . lol
Thats just the current car that I have ran. Doesn't mean it won't beat a lot of others. I started to run a turboed 2008 VW Gti but had to shut it down due to me turning into store (had a meeting). From 0-60 I had him. Who knows from there. He probably would have gotten me.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superlancer80
dude i doubt a corvette took you serious you probably just drove by him all fast and said you won cus trust me i have driven a corvette and its a beast its a race car and it doesnt matter who is driving if a corvette was really racing you would of got smoked good driver or not!
dude... he was talking Auto-cross. You don't race the other cars directly. You race the clock and who ever posts the best time wins. If the other guy doesn't know how to drive properly, he'll spin a 'Vette on an Auto-cross faster than you can blink an eye. Auto-crosses are usually so tight you can't even use the full power of a 'Vette. In a straight line, the 'vette will always win... when the curves get close and tight much lighter cars with less power can take it. Even drivers with better skill in less powerful cars can beat it. It's not uncommon to see a 2000-2500lb car with 100hp post the best time of the day at an Auto-cross event.

For example, this video of an Elise (one of the best handling sports cars there are, but severely underpowered even in "race trim") vs a Corvette on the Nürburgring:
http://www.spike.com/video/racing-elise-vs/2676641

Notice the Elise keeps up with and almost passes the Vette is the tight areas, but once the track straightens out the Elise can't keep up....
Old Mar 23, 2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by nunyas
dude... he was talking Auto-cross. You don't race the other cars directly. You race the clock and who ever posts the best time wins. If the other guy doesn't know how to drive properly, he'll spin a 'Vette on an Auto-cross faster than you can blink an eye. Auto-crosses are usually so tight you can't even use the full power of a 'Vette. In a straight line, the 'vette will always win... when the curves get close and tight much lighter cars with less power can take it. Even drivers with better skill in less powerful cars can beat it. It's not uncommon to see a 2000-2500lb car with 100hp post the best time of the day at an Auto-cross event.

For example, this video of an Elise (one of the best handling sports cars there are, but severely underpowered even in "race trim") vs a Corvette on the Nürburgring:

Notice the Elise keeps up with and almost passes the Vette is the tight areas, but once the track straightens out the Elise can't keep up....
Glad to see someone understands.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by nunyas

lol ok i get it my bad i didnt mean to sound like an idiot but i guess i did thats cool though i just understood it wrong
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
What do you mean "league"? A Lancer with a turbo kit isn't in the same league as an Evo, sorry but it's not. Sure you might be as fast in a straight line but you don't have the same level of traction, the same handling, the same braking ability, etc. Moreover, all the Evo guy has to do is get a TBE and a tune and you have to spend another 5000$ just to keep up. Mod your car to make you happy, not to be something it's not. A Lancer with a turbo kit can be a really fun car but it's no Evo/STI/IS300.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

^ sigh..the unbearable truth lol, once again. that fact has been burning a hole in my head for weeks, even months...teins, koseis, brake lines, pads, fluid...and i gotta stop myself there man...no sense in goin any further..
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

wtf is this street racing stories, i can keep up with a stock wrx etc.. beat a lexus blah blah blah.
all the immaturity popped out just because a guy (no offense) slapped a turbo on our lancers?

kill this thread with fire.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

lol buzz killington on the real
Old Mar 26, 2009, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LanceR_11
wtf is this street racing stories, i can keep up with a stock wrx etc.. beat a lexus blah blah blah.
all the immaturity popped out just because a guy (no offense) slapped a turbo on our lancers?

kill this thread with fire.
You sir are my hero
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:38 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ambystom01
What do you mean "league"? A Lancer with a turbo kit isn't in the same league as an Evo, sorry but it's not. Sure you might be as fast in a straight line but you don't have the same level of traction, the same handling, the same braking ability, etc. Moreover, all the Evo guy has to do is get a TBE and a tune and you have to spend another 5000$ just to keep up. Mod your car to make you happy, not to be something it's not. A Lancer with a turbo kit can be a really fun car but it's no Evo/STI/IS300.
pretty much true..god its rediculous to see people saying "oh you be a is300? its definitely worth it now i made up my mind." the is300 is only a 200hp car stock..so i would hope that a turbo lancer would beat it. a turbo lancer wont be a Ralliart, like other people said no idea where that came from or who started that rumor but obviously not true along with the evo statement.

the weight and compression comment was kind of out there too..the weight of a turbo GTS isnt gonna be far from an evo..so being a 100 pounds lighter isnt gonna give you a W vs an evo.

its just find it weird that people have the misconception that if you spent less on the car than a new one..then its a hell of a deal. honestly i can find a honda fit for 8k and spend 8k in mods and be fast. so it dosent matter what your start point is. some guys make it seem like they want a racecar..if you want a decently speed DD ok go turbo..but if your expecting to push 300+whp, you got the wrong car, plain and simple. also i wouldnt be on the first boat to throw my warranty out the window when you have a new car,new motor,on its first years production. big risk.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
The problem is as soon as someone wins a race, they assume it's the car. Well there are other factors. For all we know, the other car wasn't even racing. There's also the obvious problem of driver skill, situation, etc.
Nobody can mod a car better than OEM, nobody. You can't buy a cheaper car (new of course) and mod it to be better than a more expensive car for less, you simply can't. You can make it faster but it still won't be better. It won't have OEM reliability, OEM driveability, OEM civility, etc. If this was true, every Porsche owner would be driving a Civic instead.
Edit: I do like how keeping up with a stock WRX is somehow something to brag about. My car wasn't that fast stock, especially from a roll. However, with 1000$ TBE and a 100$ custom tune, I'm suddenly at close to STI HP and more than STI torque. How much would you have to spend on a Lancer to get that kind of power. The power return per dollar goes down swiftly after the first few mods are done. Sure a 5000$ turbo kit gets you to about 200 HP (maybe a bit over) but what does the next 50 HP cost? 7500$ (you'd need to build the engine, up the boost, get a new exhaust and get head work)? The next 50 HP? 10000$? Well now you're at 14000 for a DE Lancer + 5000$ for the turbo kit (200 HP) + 7500$ for the next stage (250 HP) + 10000$ for the next stage (300 HP) + X$ for supporting mods. Well right there you're at 36500$ which gets you into an Evo. There's a guy who has a very quick 4G94 Lancer but he spent something like 50000$ on it.

Last edited by ambystom01; Mar 26, 2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by LancerJumpOff
You just made up my mind and from your other thread i can see that it is defenitly worth it. thanks for the info man
Thats really nothing to brag about.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sileighty95
Glad to see someone understands.
There is always someone out there.....

Quick Reply: In What League is a RRM Turbo Lancer