Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

installing viper 5900

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2008, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing viper 5900

i am considering purchasing a viper 5900 for my lancer, a friend with an integra had the same system and it was really slick. i'm just wondering if anyone has installed this on their own.

looks like there's plenty of wiring to do... i would prefer to do this myself as it doesn't make sense to pay someone to do something i in theory could do on my own. i did all the audio wiring in my car and in several friends' cars so i am not afraid of running a little wire.

does anyone have any experience installing this system specifically? do these kits come with instructions? i can imagine i will need to track down a pinout of the ECU though. i have a diagram from RRM with pin numbers from when i installed my piggyback but i think that it's just pin numbers and not a complete diagram.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

ive never done THAT EXACT systems, but pretty much all dei (viper, python, clifford) systems are the same. If its not anything you have done before, I dont necessarily suggest doing that. All the wires should be gotten under the dash. Its a mitsu so IMO its fairly easy. make sure that if you do it, you use a multimeter to properly test the wires in the vehicle. The 5900 will come with instructions saying what color wires on what harness go to what (ie: the main ignition harness red:12v constant, pink: 1st ignition, pink/white 2nd ignition/2nd accessory, orange: accessory, green: starter (going towards key cylinder), purple: starter (going towards starter box) ) this just shows dei wiring hasnt changed much (differs slightly from model to model) also, if you arent familiar with +/- parking lights, if i remember correctly, your + parking lights would need to be diode isolated.

So if you are not familiar with what i wrote, I would suggest having someone else install it. Good luck
Old Oct 9, 2008, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo4g63awd
ive never done THAT EXACT systems, but pretty much all dei (viper, python, clifford) systems are the same. If its not anything you have done before, I dont necessarily suggest doing that. All the wires should be gotten under the dash. Its a mitsu so IMO its fairly easy. make sure that if you do it, you use a multimeter to properly test the wires in the vehicle. The 5900 will come with instructions saying what color wires on what harness go to what (ie: the main ignition harness red:12v constant, pink: 1st ignition, pink/white 2nd ignition/2nd accessory, orange: accessory, green: starter (going towards key cylinder), purple: starter (going towards starter box) ) this just shows dei wiring hasnt changed much (differs slightly from model to model) also, if you arent familiar with +/- parking lights, if i remember correctly, your + parking lights would need to be diode isolated.

So if you are not familiar with what i wrote, I would suggest having someone else install it. Good luck
+1. This stuff is far more complex than installing a headunit, amp, and speakers. You can actually burn your car to the ground if you get it wrong.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

ME and my friend trid installing my DEI remote start system for a good 6 hours, and got absolutely nowhere, so we took it to a local shop, and it costed $100 with a lifetime warranty. If anything goes wrong with it, they fix it free of charge.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 09:41 AM

it took my instal guy 13 hrs for my compustar with remote start he called at like 2am telling me to come get my ****ing car and he never wanted to see it again lol i wouldnt chance doing it urself
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Please, PLEASE take advice from these guys. I have seen too many hack jobs on R/S systems, ignition burning, ignition harness wrapping around stering column, etc etc on DIY jobs. If you havent done this before and are not familiar, have someone else do it. Haha, you can bring it to chicago, i'll do it for ya. (i do it professionally!)
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:24 AM

i have a co worker that did stero instals for years at an audio place around me and he tried to instal his remote start diy and after a couple days he just gave up and took it in... speakers r red wire black wire remote start is like 50 wires pay for the instal its def worth it... i paid 300 to get mine put in and i still dont regret it one bit
Old Oct 13, 2008, 04:15 PM

I would have a professional install it for you. alarms are a bit more tricky and a stealth instal is always better than one that just uses t-taps to tap into your factory wiring instead of splicing soldering and shrink warping.