Notices

Lancer MAF Swap Step-by-Step Guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i modify it? there is no fuel category for me to open like the directions say... using EcuFlash 1.42..
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by shinjinius
how do i modify it? there is no fuel category for me to open like the directions say... using EcuFlash 1.42..
Alright this is no longer about the MAF swap. This needs to be moved over to the EcuFlash thread or its own thread to keep this thread in tact. But it sounds like you either have a ROM that hasn't been defined yet. The 2005-2006 Lancers haven't been well defined. You might want to follow the thread here for the automatic Lancers so you can flash an Evo ROM to your AT ECU.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by senate6268
**************************************** WARNING ***********************************
The information in this thread is to be used at your own risk. If you are unfamiliar with the EcuFlash software or how to tune and make changes in EcuFlash you can cause severe damage to your engine. I assume no responsibility for any damage that occurs as a result of improper tuning/flashing of your ECU.

The EcuFlash values shown below are not necessarily the exact values needed for any one person's engine setup. The values shown are from different Mitsubishi vehicles with larger displacement engines and different airflow demands. They are ALL to be used as a baseline by which you can tune your engine with.
**************************************** WARNING ***********************************

The Lancer MAF (mass air flow) sensor is a very restrictive piece that bottlenecks the engine's ability to breathe. By swapping in the MAF sensor from any number of other Mitsubishi vehicles, you can remove the restriction and gain some HP in the process. The following MAF sensors can be swapped into the 4G94 Lancer:

- 501 -

Stock Lancer MAF shown on the left, larger 501 MAF shown on the right:

Typically found in Mitsubishi vehicles with a 4G64 engine:

ECLIPSE 00-02 (All trims)
ECLIPSE 03-05 exc. GTS
GALANT 99-03
MONTERO SPORT 99-03 3.0L (6 cyl)
OUTLANDER 03
SEBRING 01-05 (Coupe)
STRATUS 01-05 (Coupe)

This MAF is the most practical swap for a non-turbo Lancer, as the MAF values from the 4G64 ECU are easily adapted to the Lancer's ECU with EcuFlash. This MAF is only rated by Mitsu for 210 liters/second, and has ~.78 psi pressure drop because of the larger airhorn blocking the inlet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- 482 -

Typically found in newer Mitsubishi vehicles with a 3.0L, 3.5L or 3.8L V6 engine. This MAF flows almost identical to the 399 Evo MAF, ~61lbs/min maximum. This MAF has a pressure drop of ~.54 psi at 240 liters/second. This MAF can be swapped into a non-turbo Lancer, but the values used for the Lancer ECU will be trial and error as this MAF flows almost the same as the Evo MAF and is found on larger V6 Mitsu engines. Turbo'd Lancers will have a better transition to this MAF as they can use either the Eclipse GTS or Evo MAF values as a starting point, depending on the individual setup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- 399 -

Found on the 4G63 Evo VIII/IX engine. It is the highest flowing MAF available, flowing a maximum of ~62lbs/min with a pressure drop of ~.526 psi at 240 liters/second. The 399 MAF is pretty much identical to the 482 MAF in both size and airflow. This MAF can be swapped into a non-turbo Lancer, but the values used for the Lancer ECU will be trial and error. Turbo'd Lancers will have a better transition to this MAF as they can use the Evo MAF values as a starting point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now onto the swap itself. All of the MAFs listed above are plug and play. You can unplug and remove your stock MAF, install a larger MAF, plug it in and that's it for the swap. All that's left to do is to use EcuFlash to change the MAF values in your ECU's ROM to reflect the larger MAF.

Here's a rundown on how to change the MAF values in your ECU's ROM with EcuFlash after swapping in a 501 MAF:

-1- Using a Tactrix/OpenPort cable, read your ROM from your ECU in EcuFlash.
-2- After EcuFlash finishes reading your ROM, expand the Fuel category in the left pane to reveal the MAF tables.

The tables you need to modify are: MAF Scaling, MAF Smoothing Table, MAF Sensor Filtering and MAF Size:

Here is what the stock Lancer MAF values look like:

-3- Using the values for a 2003 Eclipse GS shown here, change your Lancer MAF values to the larger values for the 501 MAF:

-4- After you have changed the MAF values in your Lancer ROM to the correct 501 MAF values, save the changes to your ROM (if you have/want a copy of your ROM saved on your computer) and write the values to the Lancer ECU.

-5- From here you will need to do some datalogging and tuning to get your Lancer dialed in properly.

this is good to know. I am going to pirnt this out for my next swap out!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goog mod, just did it and reflashed my ecu and it's working great!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:40 PM

hi, this parameters is to use it on an 6g Lancer or can be use on an 5g Lancer/Mirage?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

why cant we just remove the restrictor plate, whats different about the inside or the actual maf of the lancer compared to the evo one, the plastic piece pops off and then u have a much bigger area, idk just asking, this could be another ecu trick, modify the lancer part and ull be fine ( maybe)
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good info. Just need to source a 501 MAF from the local junk yard.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

what is the actual diameter of the 501 MAF honeycomb opening? I want to match it up with the CAI diameter as much as possible, if I can. Trying to get the TB, CAI, and MAF to have as little difference in airflow as possible...going to port the IM too. If anyone's got a diameter measurement, that would be perfect! Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

This thread should be stickied.

I swapped in a 399 Evo MAF, and it is perfect everywhere except at idle. I tried the settings of the other groups of settings, 501 and the 482 with not much success. I mean, the 399 is 100% except when sitting at idle, the car goes from 14.7, and steadily drops to 10 the longer i sit at idle. I also tried just adjusting the value at 25 up and down on the comp or the scaling with little to no results...

Also, another note, one of the scalings is in uint8, but the others are in airflow8, just take note of that. It's teh 482 I think that's scaled differently, confused me at first, but pretty minor thing.

I saw JRR had the same issue basically, everything perfect except at idle, but don't know how he eventually solved it. 03lances uses stock 399 settings i think with good results. Anyone have a more "bullit-proof" combo, or is it specific to me having problems. Also...just FYI, the guy who sold me this MAF removed the honeycomb, so that could be the issue....
Old Dec 6, 2010, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My physical idle is tight. However I have an afr problem with my idle as well. Its worth noting though this did not start until AFTER going forced open loop so its definately an issue with my settings there. Is the afr problem all the time? Like when you first start the car cold will it drop low right away? Does it take longer to go rich at a warm idle or cold or does it even make a difference?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
My physical idle is tight. However I have an afr problem with my idle as well. Its worth noting though this did not start until AFTER going forced open loop so its definately an issue with my settings there. Is the afr problem all the time? Like when you first start the car cold will it drop low right away? Does it take longer to go rich at a warm idle or cold or does it even make a difference?
At cold start, it idles 14.7, the warmer the car gets, the richer it gets at idle. Once the car is warm, if I pull up to a stop light, and just sit, the afr goes to 10, then works it's way up to about 13, bobbing back and forth between 10-13(during this, 02 feedback trim is steadily going negative until -25), and then finally swings over to 18 or so, and the 02 feedback trim ticks back toward 0....and then afr's hit 14.7 when 02 feedback basically gets to 0.......and then the process repeats more or less, until the car just idles at 10-12. I can hear as the car is starting to lean out toward 14.7 a small "chug", and then the AFR drops to 10 immediately after

*EDIT* Just an FYI, I gave up on the 399 MAF. While there seems to be potential...that f*cker won't idle worth anything, always way too rich. If I tried to adjust the idle via "MAF Compensation" as suggested by a few peeps, it sort of gets closer, but then the AFR's just oscillate wildly around 14.7, like basically swinging from 10-18 AFR in a rotation of about every 15 seconds....Anyhow, great thread, I just couldn't make it work. I may give it one more go later on down the line, if I hear anymore good tips. If not...I'll skip the MAF upgrade, and try to get speed density working, although that would be such a chore as well, since the volumetric efficiency or whatever is totally different for a lancer engine than an evo engine.

Last edited by HornstarBU; Dec 9, 2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Is the MAF Adder 140 in the stock lancer as well? Does anyone know if it's different than the Evo's, they are 140...
Old May 31, 2011, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

No one seems to have really done this as of lately....

I've gone back and tried again to swap the Evo MAF in, and the only 2 issues I'm seeing are:

1....my fuel trims all went wicked negative using stock evo settings
2....my idle is a bit rich, like 10-12 when the A/C is NOT on. with the A/C on, idle seems fine, jumps lean a bit, but then sits fine.

Just another thing I've noticed, the Lancer rom doesn't seem to have labels right on the ISCV values or something...maybe it references them different, i don't know...but the MAF swap messes the idle up a lot for me, and ISCV seems to be a step in the right direction to fix it....but maybe not enough.

So, A/C on, idle seems okay, A/C off, idle AFR drops and the rpms keep trying to drop and stall. It eventually comes back up, after sitting which i guess is closed loop fixing it. Anyway, thoughts?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Just did the 501MAF last week and have had no issues with it...until now. When I kick on the AC I notice that in park the car will want to hit 3k idle and won't stop until I kill the ignition. Only happens after the car warms up, and isn't constant... I'm assuming this is somehow related to the MAF swap and the fact that my iacv is acting screwy anyway. I'm working on modding an evo tb to accept the cruise control setup to see if the new iacv and tb will solve my problems.... My idle's been a pita since I tried adjusting the BISS and idle values in ecuflash.

Can't get the stupid SAS mode to work right in evoscan either. definitely going to pull my hair out if the tb swap doesn't fix it...
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jwick76
Just did the 501MAF last week and have had no issues with it...until now. When I kick on the AC I notice that in park the car will want to hit 3k idle and won't stop until I kill the ignition. Only happens after the car warms up, and isn't constant... I'm assuming this is somehow related to the MAF swap and the fact that my iacv is acting screwy anyway. I'm working on modding an evo tb to accept the cruise control setup to see if the new iacv and tb will solve my problems.... My idle's been a pita since I tried adjusting the BISS and idle values in ecuflash.

Can't get the stupid SAS mode to work right in evoscan either. definitely going to pull my hair out if the tb swap doesn't fix it...
Sounds very similar to my issue...although not exact.

How is your Afr, and what does your idle stepper table, iscv with ac on,off,neutral,drive,all that look like? Yours at least sounds fixable. What doesn't work with sas mode?

Quick Reply: Lancer MAF Swap Step-by-Step Guide