Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

DIY intake question not yet covered?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2006, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY intake question not yet covered?

I've been searching for damn near 3 days for an answer, and the answer is looking like no, but while I continue the search, I figure I'll ask here as well. My friend tells me that we can make our own short ram intake for my Auto 06 ES Lancer, and if I just stick a K&N cone filter on the end, the setup will be carb legal.

"Too easy to be true" I think to myself. So direct from the K&N website:

"Universal clamp-on filters may not be legal in states where under the hood modifications are not allowed. Since they can be used on just about anything, it would be impossible to have all the different filters tested for all possible applications. Check your local laws if you are unsure."

I can't find anything on California emission laws concerning this. Anyone know if it is carb legal?

Thanks, and on with the searching...
Old Sep 7, 2006, 06:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a feeling if it is not a CARB approved setup, then it's not going to be legal. For example, my Injen SRI has a CARB number on it. Even though I live in Maryland it was good enough for me to pass inspection. I have a feeling if you go this route of just putting a K&N filter on that you will fail any kind of visual inspection done to your car.

Last edited by Kurt; Sep 8, 2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Highly doubt it. You can't mess with anything unless you get a CARB-approved kit.

But it wouldn't hurt to call your local police station and ask. But I'd bet $1 it would be illegal.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Who cares just do it
Old Sep 7, 2006, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

The thing is I don't want to spend the $50 or so on parts (hoses and adapters and such) if I'm just going to end up paying $170 on a carb legal intake down the line. Waste of time and money. I think I'll just throw down the cash for a brand intake...
Old Sep 7, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

get a rrm short ram. cheapest good intake around besides makeshifting an ebay one.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TougeOZ_04
Who cares just do it
+1
Old Sep 7, 2006, 03:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice to see folks from NE and KY chiming in.

Nice of you two to suggest that he breaks a law that will lead to a huge ticket AND his car being impounded...

Some people don't think...
Old Sep 7, 2006, 05:19 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

If you want to avoid possible fines, I would suggest the Injen SRI. I like posted above, it has the CARB # right on it.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

while we are on this subject. Is the RRM SRI carb legal? I didnt notice any # or anything.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

I was wondering the same thing about RRM's short ram, I'll e-mail em about it. It's between RRM and the k&n typhoon, but the typhoon isn't carb legal yet. Neither is the typhoon for the 2005 Lancer ES. I also called a local performance auto part shop, they say there's no AEM short ram for the 06 Lancer. wtf? No one makes our parts. Aren't there RRM representatives on these boards?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Trust me from a guy who went through this in a MAJOR way. The ONLY intake that a CARB check station in CA will accept as legal (if they are following the rules) is the Injen. It is the only one on the market you can get a number for. However you can find alot of stations that will let and SRI slide. It depends on who you go to and what youre willing to risk.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

The words "cheap" and "carb legal" don't get along too well do they? So Injen is the only way to avoid having to go back and forth between stock/aftermarket/DIY? Wonderful.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:12 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Spend the money now. It might save you some down the road.

I used to have the RMR sri. When I was getting my car inspected it raised a red flag. They asked me about and when I produced the recipit for it from the Mitsubishi dealership, the let me pass. The only reason that I have the Injen sri is because there was clearance issues with my RRM X-bar and the RMR sri. I just went through my inspection about 3 months ago, and the questioned it, I just pointed to the CARB number and that was good enough for MD inspection.

Last edited by Kurt; Sep 8, 2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 01:12 AM
Evolving Member

The 2006 and 2005s on all the intakes I've looked at haven't been carb approved. Most likely they will be carb legal down the line, correct? I wonder how long it takes to get the process done... bah. I've broken down and have asked my dealership for parts, let's see what they can do.

Quick Reply: DIY intake question not yet covered?