Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Help with engine problems

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2007, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with engine problems

Ok, so i havent had my car for quite some time now (for those of you who remember me). But its about to be back on the road in a week or so and when it was running i had some engine problems. I had sucked up some water at one point, didnt hydro-lock the engine, but was able to burn it all out. Since that point, my car burned oil and kinda missed or something like that in high RPM's. The best way to describe it would be kind of a "surge" at around 4K RPM or so, like the car would miss or something suddenly. I replaced the plugs, wires, and coil packs but it still did it. I really cant remember if it smoked or not but i think ive narrowed it down to either a valve or piston ring problem. If anyone can give me any insight, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

i think yu ight be right about that ring problem. since it seems like you've narrowed it down...what happens? misfires at 4k and feels like youve let off the throttle? or is it kinda like you presed the throttle suddenly at 4k? My car felt like the second. the sudden power at 4k but it was happening at 2k. Happened after i put in my 4g93 mani. Just was running super lean cuz i never reset the com corrrectly. did you make any mods following the hydro?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

it really only happens at WOT, once it gets around 3700 rpm and higher. the car just seems to kinda jerk forward suddenly for half a second. the rpm doesnt raise or lower either.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

so it leans out all of a sudden at WOT then right. does it happen as you go from 0% throttle to WOT or from slight throttle to WOT?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

i do believe that is what its doing. and come to think of it, i do think it does it going from 0% to WOT as well as part throttle to WOT. any ideas?
Old Jan 7, 2007, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

when my car did that it was cuz i just put in my Intake mani and i didn't reset the computer correctly. I guess its cuz unacounted air is coming in and causing an extremely lean condition.Did you do any ecu mods?
Old Jan 7, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

no ecu mods at all. all i had at the time was CAI, header, and axleback. i have a new head awaiting install, but im not quite ready to put it on. so i guess ill know if its a valve issue when i install the head. but if it keeps doing it i could most likely figure its the rings?
Old Jan 9, 2007, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

hmm. has the symptoms of a vacuum leak excesively lean condition but it isn't. I think it has to be something with your internals as you suspected. maybe you might have damaged one of the rings when you sucked up that water....hope not tho.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you try changing the oil? Maybe a little bit of water got in it?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jakermeister
Did you try changing the oil? Maybe a little bit of water got in it?
well, seeing as how i pretty much had the entire engine and transmission taken out and put back in by myself, id say im past the point of an oil change, lol. dont mean to sound harsh, but your comment made me giggle, lol.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sykou
hmm. has the symptoms of a vacuum leak excesively lean condition but it isn't. I think it has to be something with your internals as you suspected. maybe you might have damaged one of the rings when you sucked up that water....hope not tho.
but would those conditions constitute burning oil? do you think a compression test would tell me if its a ring or not? and i almost kinda do hope it is a ring so i can finally narrow it down to something and not have to remove the head quite yet. the rings arent too terribly hard to replace, not as hard as the head anyway, lol.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by petey pab
but would those conditions constitute burning oil? do you think a compression test would tell me if its a ring or not? and i almost kinda do hope it is a ring so i can finally narrow it down to something and not have to remove the head quite yet. the rings arent too terribly hard to replace, not as hard as the head anyway, lol.
Technically the rings would be harder to replace since you have to remove the head anyway . But it looks like you may have a washed piston ring(s). The water getting into the cylinder cause a lack of lubrication between the rings and the cylinder wall and damaged the rings, wall or both . Do a compression test to determine which cylinder it is. Another culprit for the burning oil could be the head gasket or possibly a valve or valves. I say you should change the rings anyway when you switch cylinder heads. Then you're covering all bases: valves, head gasket and new rings.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Your burning oil? how did i miss that. Seems like senate6268 is on the right track.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by senate6268
Technically the rings would be harder to replace since you have to remove the head anyway . But it looks like you may have a washed piston ring(s). The water getting into the cylinder cause a lack of lubrication between the rings and the cylinder wall and damaged the rings, wall or both . Do a compression test to determine which cylinder it is. Another culprit for the burning oil could be the head gasket or possibly a valve or valves. I say you should change the rings anyway when you switch cylinder heads. Then you're covering all bases: valves, head gasket and new rings.
but dont you just pull the pistons through the bottom of the engine by removing the upeer oil pan? i really dont know why im *****ing because i really should just do the head as well as the rings at the same time, lol. dunno why im waitin so long to put the head on. i just dont want to have to replace the rings if it isnt necessary. will a compression test determine if it is the rings or will that still leave it open to the head gasket or valves as well?

Quick Reply: Help with engine problems