Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Old News!! 4G64 Swapped Into A 2002 Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow mad prop to you!!!!!
i wish i could do it too.. but i don't thinks so...
but man!! very nice work!!!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

Is it possible to then swap over to the dual over head cam head? I know it is possible on a 4G64 but would the Lancer's computer system support it? Just wondering if anyone has tried. If you can this would be awsome to then put a turbo head and convert the car to turbo, then the mods are endless! Just a thought

EDIT: Okay I just read the rest of the initial post and found my answer, lol.

Last edited by blackbichGSX; Mar 21, 2007 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Not reading everything
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Man this is sweet, and to have someone that actually did the whole thing here. And yeah A2 is gone for good. Glad to see more options opening up for us.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank God someone finally posted and documented this.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:17 AM
Account Disabled

nice work bro....looks good.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:33 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet! nice write up
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice write up..

I wanted to add that this 4G64 2.4l block used in those cars is also frequently used as a stroker block in the Evo...

What does this mean?

Well, it means that he has just documented the ability to physically swap an Evo engine into the Lancer. Though I doubt the transmission would hold up very long.

We already know that a majority of the Evo induction components can be routed and fit onto a base lancer, and that the Turbo setup would physically fit.

Use your imagination.. Just add a bit of rewiring, an ECU, and some time..
Old Mar 22, 2007, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

yeah man, nice post, awsome work.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

nie job, really clean. the potential is unlimited now...
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The few, the proud, the stickied.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor

i may actually do this. my friend is a mechanic and i know he would love to undertake something like this. i always assumed it would be a lot more difficult though.

how much power could that engine put out?
how durable is it compared the the lancer engine? cos i know our current engines suck, so what is this like in comparisson?

where is the best place to get this engine?

also what are good websites to get aftermarket parts for this engine. eg. turbo manifold, pulleys etc.

Last edited by crypto; Mar 22, 2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rpm_ruffryders
the cam chaft at the bottom is the Crower Cam Shaft....
will that cam fit on my cheby?!?

i'm bummed i never got a ride in this josh.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Definitely a cool idea. What about the exhaust system, I take it that has to be custom too?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackbichGSX
Is it possible to then swap over to the dual over head cam head? I know it is possible on a 4G64 but would the Lancer's computer system support it? Just wondering if anyone has tried. If you can this would be awsome to then put a turbo head and convert the car to turbo, then the mods are endless! Just a thought

EDIT: Okay I just read the rest of the initial post and found my answer, lol.
the G63 head IS THE PLAN!!! in turn you will have what the Evo boy's n girl's WANT...a 2.3 stroker. and after that, the sky IS the limit!

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Thank God someone finally posted and documented this.
sorry to keep you all waiting...
like i said, i have had this for OVER a YEAR and NO problems what so ever...ok, may be one... I cant stay away from her!!! she (her name is "LUCKY") is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun to dive that i want to be in her every minute!!

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Nice write up..

I wanted to add that this 4G64 2.4l block used in those cars is also frequently used as a stroker block in the Evo...

What does this mean?

Well, it means that he has just documented the ability to physically swap an Evo engine into the Lancer. Though I doubt the transmission would hold up very long.

We already know that a majority of the Evo induction components can be routed and fit onto a base lancer, and that the Turbo setup would physically fit.

Use your imagination.. Just add a bit of rewiring, an ECU, and some time..
very true. but with a lil work, you can have the tranny support the extra load it will take with the 2.3 stroker (4G64 block w/ 4G63 head). essentially the 4G94 and 4G64 tranny's are the same. the only MAJOR difference is in the axels. the splines match on each, except that the eclipse/galant/stratus axels are more...um..."GIRTHY"! (SCLC side joke - LOL)

Originally Posted by crypto
i may actually do this. my friend is a mechanic and i know he would love to undertake something like this. i always assumed it would be a lot more difficult though.

how much power could that engine put out?
how durable is it compared the the lancer engine? cos i know our current engines suck, so what is this like in comparisson?

where is the best place to get this engine?

also what are good websites to get aftermarket parts for this engine. eg. turbo manifold, pulleys etc.
the 4G64 is rated at 154-ish HP at the crank. remember, that is the number on a car that is about 300 pounds HEAVIER than your Lancer. So the HP/WEIGHT ratio is on the Lancer's side on this one. As for durability... let me just say this...
the G94's block is cast ALUMINUM...the G64's is CAST IRON. If you know your metals you would know that iron can take a WAAAAY bigger beating than aluminum. compression on the G64 (if I recall correctly) is like 10.5:1

Originally Posted by blacklancerr
will that cam fit on my cheby?!?

i'm bummed i never got a ride in this josh.
spell check complete...lol.
I wish I still had her so that everyone could see her too bro...
the sad part to ALL of this is that...well...LUCKY is now in Mitsu Heaven kickin *** and taking WINGS!!! haha!!

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Definitely a cool idea. What about the exhaust system, I take it that has to be custom too?
no. you can still use the Lancer exhaust. Although, the Header HAS TO be shortened to fit because you will now need eclipse performance parts and that chassis is longer than the Lancer it has to be shortened to fit (for the flex pipe). I was running a 2.5" HEADER BACK exhaust. No cat at all, to a 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust. I chose the 2.'5" piping cuz I was plannig to boost.

OH! one more thing before I forget again...
you will also HAVE TO get the immobilizer unit from the car you get the ecu from. eclipse's and galants come with an immobilizer unit so if you dont have that, then your car will never go anywhere for more than like 15-20 seconds. It'll shut its self off. so that is important to have.

here are pics of my baby (may she rest in peace) after someone stole her and crashed her not more than 3 blocks from where she was parked...

Last edited by rpm_ruffryders; Mar 22, 2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

ok those pictures make me physcaly ill . . find the guy who did it, tar and feather him, then beat him with a rough splintery piece of wood.

Quick Reply: Old News!! 4G64 Swapped Into A 2002 Lancer