Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

To DIY or Not to DIY (Timing Belt)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2007, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by captainobvious
It would be realy helpful if someone would do a write up with pics while they go through the process of replacing the timing belt/water pump.

I'll see what I can do...I ordered the timing belt, tension and water pump kit off ebay for like $100. I will also be doing my other 2 belts as well as thermostat and coolant flush at the same time. anybody know where the coolant drain plug on the engine is? Radiator I can figure out but the engine one is a little difficult.

Once I get all that done, I'll have a shop put on the lightened pulley on there since I am not buying a impact wrench anytime soon.

Just one quick question...are there notches on the cams and pulley that need to lined up? That's how my volvo worked...once you lined it up, it was simply a matter of pulling off the old belt and putting the new one on.
Old May 9, 2007, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Not certain about places to drain coolant from the block, but you'll be fine just draining from the rad.

If you're careful and mark the pulleys with a wax marker/shipping marker and put on the new belt like the one that was taken off you'll be fine. But yes, there are marks...
Old May 9, 2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by sadude
I'll see what I can do...I ordered the timing belt, tension and water pump kit off ebay for like $100. I will also be doing my other 2 belts as well as thermostat and coolant flush at the same time. anybody know where the coolant drain plug on the engine is? Radiator I can figure out but the engine one is a little difficult.

Once I get all that done, I'll have a shop put on the lightened pulley on there since I am not buying a impact wrench anytime soon.

Just one quick question...are there notches on the cams and pulley that need to lined up? That's how my volvo worked...once you lined it up, it was simply a matter of pulling off the old belt and putting the new one on.
You need to remove the pulley to have acess to the timing belt, you can install your lightned pulley at the same time.
Old May 9, 2007, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys for clearing that up...I was not aware that you had to remove the pulley in order to get to the belt, in my last car you could sneak the belt out from behind that pulley very carefully.

I'll do my best to take as many pics as possible especially of the marks
Old May 9, 2007, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

go to kragen u can buy a electric impact gun there and its 20 bucks you'll have to sit there for like 5 mins while it trys to break loose the nut but it will come off i recommend also looking at autopartsgo.com for you tensioner, and getting almost everything else from mr-auto-parts.com those websites are cheap and fast! also i used a white crayon and marked my cam gear and the block right under it and then marked my crank gear and the block under it also and they didn't move so i know i was good. what i did also was drain all my coolant out the radiator and when ur about to pull off the water pump put a bucket under it so it'll just spill into that. ... i should get a new thermostat that sounds like a good idea