Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

~ Dyno Day Intake Shootout: Round One

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2008, 06:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
~ Dyno Day Intake Shootout: Round One

I will make this short, I have started dialog with some intake vendors about getting a benchmarking dyno day with the four intakes currently available today. It comes down to formally asking the vendor if they will openly donate their intake for testing. thats a yes/no answer. if they dont then the intake will be purchased using donated or sponsored funds, then afterwards sold for a charitable cause.
Dyno benchmarking will be done at Four Star Motorsports which helped us with our first dyno day in April. The dyno will be operated by Frank Sprongl (the owner) and the machine is a "Possum Bourne Signature Series Dyno" (DynoDynamics). Frank knows a think or two about speed, this is what has landed him Grand Master Status in the Canadian Championship Performance Rallies.

The Intake contenders are in two classes

INJEN CAI (retail model)
AEM CAI (final retail model)

RRM SRI (V2 retail model)
FUJITA SRI (V2, but May source V3 aka redemption model)

The method to the testing will be explain in detail, refering to ECU resets or Post ECU Learn cycling. 5 runs, worst 2, dropped 3 averaged is kept, as well as the best peak.

More details as they become available... as soon as a date is set I will announce it.

DISCLAIMER I should make a few things clear, now that I have the badge on my name saying vendor I dont want some to get the wrong idea or question my motives. Some may have noticed badge of silver vendor under mine name. This is due to the fact that about a year ago, I and a few others got the ball rolling to start a Toronto based Lancer Car Club. The idea was to create a union of lancer owners and allow for constructive organization to bring the products and services we want closer to us in Toronto. The problem was the constructive organization started getting us in trouble with the forum rules and regulations. Some Toronto Lancer members even ran into foul territory and got into temporary banning situations. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I pulled the trigger and acquired vendor status to clear the way for better organization of local group buy matters. So I am not a real vendor, and I am not attempting to use this vendor status to advance any personal profit interests. My reviews are neutral, my opinion is of that of just an average guy and there is no bias towards vendors here or non vendors elsewhere. It will be impossible for me to be free of conflicts of interest but at the same time I will do my best to cite them when they become apparent .

Last edited by evo_soul; Oct 1, 2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niiice, this should be interesting for those that won't go the turbo way but want some answer
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

AEM ftw!!!!!!!!1
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

If only K&N could get their sh*t straight we could really have some competition...
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by EngRWW33
If only K&N could get their sh*t straight we could really have some competition...
yeah too bad, cuz then we could get fu-pos-jita out of the pic and get a good match up between K&N and RRM. can't wait to see some results none the less!!
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

awww no drop-in filter review.

some people are swearing by those.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I would include the drop-in filters too if you can fit them in for testing.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

nah... drop-in filter gains are minimal...if any...even though some companies claim 5+ hp from just a drop-in filter. i don't believe it but hey...who am I to say

I can't wait to see the results though! Tests like these can help or hurt a company.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

well some people have said the drop-in could give the same gain as an SRI, I do agree that its probably BS, but who knows. Maybe the Stock intake setup is actually good with a high-flowing filter.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by YeOldeLancer
nah... drop-in filter gains are minimal...if any...even though some companies claim 5+ hp from just a drop-in filter. i don't believe it but hey...who am I to say

I can't wait to see the results though! Tests like these can help or hurt a company.
i shoulda said i was being sarcastic but im serious when i say some members SWEAR by them

so wether or not IM wrong or THEY'RE wrong is what i wanna see. Speculation means nothing if you can't actually test stuff for yourself. This sorta test allows for that. Since all elements and circumstances would be the same for all products.

but im with you, i believe the drop-in is minimal or at-worst a placebo effect
Old Oct 1, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evolve247
but im with you, i believe the drop-in is minimal or at-worst a placebo effect
The gains may just be the +/- error seen in a typical dyno run.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

i mean we're literally splitting hairs here because we are talking about a little grocery-getter.

So the term 'minimal' could also be applied to shorty's and cold air's. having tried cold air and short air, it's hard to imagine the drop-in performing much better than any of the cold air/shor-air applications
Old Oct 1, 2008, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

true, but it will be some conclusive info to help people decide what bolt-ons can give them the best gains possible. No matter how "minimal" the gain, wouldn't you want to know which is ultimately the best?
Old Oct 1, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

i dont think anyone ever said that a Drop-In was better than a CAI or SRI but i can almost bet that a Drop-In and an SRI have basically the same gains.. and that means u dont get that ridiculous ROAR from the SRI..
Old Oct 1, 2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by cRc`22
i dont think anyone ever said that a Drop-In was better than a CAI or SRI but i can almost bet that a Drop-In and an SRI have basically the same gains.. and that means u dont get that ridiculous ROAR from the SRI..
if by "ridiculous", do you mean lovely?

Quick Reply: ~ Dyno Day Intake Shootout: Round One