Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

performance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2009, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation performance upgrades?

okay so I just recently installed the magnaflow cat back system, and I was wondering, is there any other performance parts I can add on without really messing with the warrenty? I went to the dealership and they said If I were to install a SRI it would completely void my warrenty, so If anyone out there knows anything I can do for performance please let me know!
Old May 23, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is tons of this information in the forums here. Read, read, read, and you will be in better shape then you are now.

They cannot "void" your warranty. There are many other options of performance parts, just find some threads.
Old May 23, 2009, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor

The part has to cause the failure in order for your warranty to be void. The only thing that trumps that is if you modify your emissions control equipment.

In theory if your dealer / head office wanted to be very unfriendly, they can just hassle you until you break down and cry. But if you understand your legal rights you can knock heads and get your way.

The goal is to go to a dealership that is Aftermarket friendly.

Here in Canada we have an independent aftermarket upgrade program underway... so this will resolve most of these issues at the dealership level.

Bottom line... the best advise I can give is.

IF A DEALER TALKS SMACK and says this or that or what ever will void your warranty... Get them to put it in writing. Either in a note, or right on the Invoice. Have them decline the service and put it on there. Then send it to me,, an I will have fun with Mitsubishi Corporate

trust me...
Old May 23, 2009, 01:49 PM

congratulations, this is the one millionth thread asking the same damn question everybody asks

READ AROUND
Old May 23, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_soul
The part has to cause the failure in order for your warranty to be void. The only thing that trumps that is if you modify your emissions control equipment.

In theory if your dealer / head office wanted to be very unfriendly, they can just hassle you until you break down and cry. But if you understand your legal rights you can knock heads and get your way.

The goal is to go to a dealership that is Aftermarket friendly.

Here in Canada we have an independent aftermarket upgrade program underway... so this will resolve most of these issues at the dealership level.

Bottom line... the best advise I can give is.

IF A DEALER TALKS SMACK and says this or that or what ever will void your warranty... Get them to put it in writing. Either in a note, or right on the Invoice. Have them decline the service and put it on there. Then send it to me,, an I will have fun with Mitsubishi Corporate

trust me...
This is absolutely terrible advice. People like to use the Magnuson-Moss act as a shield, as if it somehow requires dealerships to provide a 20 page dissertation on exactly how the part caused the problem, but it doesn't. The fact is that the manufacturer only agreed to warranty the car as it left the factory and if it is treated in a reasonable manner. If you modify the car to make more power, they have every right to refuse warranty service on engine/drivetrain issues. If you go in with this untouchable attitude, you're going to get burned. Remember, they make the car and they have an entire team of mechanics who can back them up. What do you have, an internet forum and somebody claiming to be able to help you despite the fact that their reach doesn't go past Toronto. If you're worried about warranty work, don't touch the car, period. Even if a dealership says they don't care doesn't mean they'll side with you when push comes to shove. You have to pay to play.
Old May 23, 2009, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Timing Box. Plug in, plug out. They will never know. BUT your dealer is full of S@#t. tHEY CANNOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY FOR A SRI. wHAT EVER THE MOD, THEY HAVE TO PROVE IT AFFECTED OR CAUSED YOUR PROBLEM.

ROAD/RACE
Old May 23, 2009, 11:06 PM

will not modding my car void my warranty? :P
Old May 24, 2009, 02:58 AM

My dealer told me the same on changing the stock intake...it will void the warranty. But they are ok on changing the axleback.
Old May 24, 2009, 07:14 AM
Former Sponsor

As for my advice to our American friend the jist of the argument is that the dealer / acting on bhalf of the manufacture in times of car failure is to accept or decline warranty work based on two factors.

1) Did the ownerkeep up with his maintence obligations

2) Second was the system or subsystem negativly effected by a non oem part. Also was the part correctly installed.

I highly recommend that you defer to your Warranty booklet that came with your car, that frame work more or less is the document that everyone regardless of state or province that all parties involved cite and use.

The point I was making about having your Dealer put those words in writing is a big big no no for them. They must submit claims and provide information with that claim about your car and the evidence compiled. If they are not making a claim they how no real power to void your warranty.

A dealer is simply an Agent of your manufacturer, their powers are limited. The point Amby I was trying to make is that, no dealer can out right void your warranty or make the threat that it is on paper without going thru a claims process. This may vary in some situations but there is a very straight forward process in North America to make the system uniform and get around state to state law differences. As an Agent of Mitsubishi, a Dealer has the RIGHT to refuse work on your car. But when it comes to your warranty it is your RIGHTS, you have the RIGHT to do what ever you like to your car so long as you are mindful of your Warranty Agreement directly with Mitsubishi Corporate.

If you have any problems with anything, or your dealer is giving you a long winded story about voiding this and that. Get them to put it in writing. They wont. if they do then that is what you would need to go straight to Mitsubishi Corp to get a decision. ( of course this will depend on the mod in question. As Rock mentioned, for a SRI, I dont see how it can void your warranty. Period)

Moral of the story, Call Mitsubishi Directly if you have a question.

Originally Posted by ambystom01
This is absolutely terrible advice. People like to use the Magnuson-Moss act as a shield, as if it somehow requires dealerships to provide a 20 page dissertation on exactly how the part caused the problem, but it doesn't. The fact is that the manufacturer only agreed to warranty the car as it left the factory and if it is treated in a reasonable manner. If you modify the car to make more power, they have every right to refuse warranty service on engine/drivetrain issues. If you go in with this untouchable attitude, you're going to get burned. Remember, they make the car and they have an entire team of mechanics who can back them up. What do you have, an internet forum and somebody claiming to be able to help you despite the fact that their reach doesn't go past Toronto. If you're worried about warranty work, don't touch the car, period. Even if a dealership says they don't care doesn't mean they'll side with you when push comes to shove. You have to pay to play.

Amby, I am sorry if my answer is complete rubbish to you, I have attempted to simplify my point above. As u know in Canada this act u cited doesn't legally apply, manufacturers however cannot ignore it. Thats for us Canadians.

Last edited by evo_soul; May 24, 2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_soul
As for my advice to our American friend the jist of the argument is that the dealer / acting on bhalf of the manufacture in times of car failure is to accept or decline warranty work based on two factors.

1) Did the ownerkeep up with his maintence obligations

2) Second was the system or subsystem negativly effected by a non oem part. Also was the part correctly installed.

I highly recommend that you defer to your Warranty booklet that came with your car, that frame work more or less is the document that everyone regardless of state or province that all parties involved cite and use.

The point I was making about having your Dealer put those words in writing is a big big no no for them. They must submit claims and provide information with that claim about your car and the evidence compiled. If they are not making a claim they how no real power to void your warranty.

A dealer is simply an Agent of your manufacturer, their powers are limited. The point Amby I was trying to make is that, no dealer can out right void your warranty or make the threat that it is on paper without going thru a claims process. This may vary in some situations but there is a very straight forward process in North America to make the system uniform and get around state to state law differences. As an Agent of Mitsubishi, a Dealer has the RIGHT to refuse work on your car. But when it comes to your warranty it is your RIGHTS, you have the RIGHT to do what ever you like to your car so long as you are mindful of your Warranty Agreement directly with Mitsubishi Corporate.

If you have any problems with anything, or your dealer is giving you a long winded story about voiding this and that. Get them to put it in writing. They wont. if they do then that is what you would need to go straight to Mitsubishi Corp to get a decision. ( of course this will depend on the mod in question. As Rock mentioned, for a SRI, I dont see how it can void your warranty. Period)

Moral of the story, Call Mitsubishi Directly if you have a question.

Amby, I am sorry if my answer is complete rubbish to you, I have attempted to simplify my point above. As u know in Canada this act u cited doesn't legally apply, manufacturers however cannot ignore it. Thats for us Canadians.
If dealerships have the right to refuse to work on your car, they can simply do just that. If they really wanted to, they could require you sign an agreement before they even look at the car stating that if they find anything suspicious warranty wise, they will not be responsible for the costs of the work. I agree it is best to talk to the dealership and find out what their take on it is.
Old May 25, 2009, 07:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends on the dealer. We have about 20 Mitsu dealers that buy our parts and install them. THey have no issues with it. Even turbo kits!!!! I swear!

ROAD/RACE