Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Je Pistons

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2003, 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Je Pistons

Does anyone know if I could possibly get Pistons off JE straight from their facility, instead of ordering through R R M (no hate) but it seems like they are a middle man for this application, just curious, and who makes some con rods for our car other than cower, does eagle make a set...?
Old Oct 25, 2003, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You usually can buy from JE directly but unless you know exactly what to spec you might be better off to go with the design RMR orders from JE.

Having bought pistons (including JE, Venoglia, Arias, Mahle, Asso, Borgo) for other cars from a variety of manufacturers, as well as middle people, I have come to the conclusion that dealing with a middle person who is an engine builder and has a good grasp of the engine you are modifying is generally the best way to go.

The pistons a middle person like that will spec often have subtle design changes that help either with assembly, making power, and reliability compared to what you would spec not having experience with a particular engine. I am talking about compression ratio, material, pin, pin lock type, oil spray, ring type, machining, coating, piston shape, coating, etc.

If the middle guy has an excellent reputation go with them. In fact when I last bought JE pistons they suggested that I go through a middle guy who incidentally builds the fastest and most relaible engines of the type I was ordering for and in fact I had already considered ordering through him before calling JE.

Regardless, JE is nice stuff.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the reply my man, i guess ill just get them with rrm, but on the other hand who makes us some rods.. i need rods rods rods, dont wanna melt them with i setup my turbo system.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 05:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You're not going to melt the rods, you're likely going to bend/break them. Anyway, RRM's price is actually quite reasonable and it comes with everything you need to connect them to your stock rods.

EDIT: The only thing I wish they offered are coating options. I'd like to get mine ceramic coated when I do buy them.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 05:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you call JE directly get ready to pay about 200 bucks more for the pistons and that is if you can even get them. Thing is they don't offer them as they were developed for RRM. Thus as the primary vendor RRM has connered the design... this is the reason the price would be high for you as you'd most likely need to send in a piston and fill out the paperwork for them to design a set for you... thus the price is so much higher. Also RRM buys so much from JE that they get better pricing. That's how vendors make their money and save you money at the same time. Fact of life!
Old Oct 25, 2003, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

good luck with that, rods are gonna be really hard to find, and from what i was informed tyour gonna be waiting like 2 months for the pistons (about) so just to give you the time period, also you should def go through road race period, its actually a good price like hobie said

edit: RRM is using the stock rods on their drag car.. just to give you an idea

Last edited by TURBOit; Oct 25, 2003 at 05:48 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 08:32 PM

Actually I was looking on the RPW web site and they basically say that the stock rods are strong enough to stand uo to just about everything except nitrous. Thought you might like to know.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 08:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Not if you raise your rev limit and run more boost. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

PM Link286XT....he got crower rods and pistons
Old Oct 26, 2003, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

with new head bolts, pistons, new gaskets, pistons, and rods, new crank, how much boost u think someone can run.. around 15-18 psi?
Old Oct 26, 2003, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

nobody could say for sure, but expect buying a complete stand alone system to run that high of a boost to regulate everything, camshaft, gears, and valve spring might be a valid upgrade as well
Old Oct 26, 2003, 07:48 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You would definitely need to replace your valves and valve springs. crank, not so much, cam shaft...probably a good idea, but I dunno. You'd probably want to drop the CR a bit too at 15-18 PSI. Something like 9.0:1 would be a lot more suitable for that much boost imo.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

I ordered my piston from RRM on Sept 8. They told me 4-6 weeks but all there orders usually come in in 4. Its Oct 26. still no pistons- you do the math. I busted my ring lands and my car has been down two months. Its like waiting on christmas when i was 12.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

the piston for us lancer are not somthing that je just has sitting on a shelf waiting for someone to order je doesnt make them until somebody orders them and like most manufactorers, je doesnt stop the production of everything else to make two or three sets of pistons for anyone. they start them when they are done with what ever it is that they are working on, at the time provided that nothing else was ordered before it.