Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

possibly a Clutch problems? Help me!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possibly a Clutch problems? Help me!

I am a owner of a 2002 lancer oz edition and I am having problems getting in to gears. One night I was driving on a 30 min cruise on the highway without down shifting or anything. I stayed in 5th till I had to exit. So I put it in to neutral to roll my self to the light. All the sudden my clutch felt loose and my stick would not go into gear. As I sat at the light for a few minutes, I had to force it in to gear with quite a bit of strength all the way home. The next morning, the same problem, but this time the stick would not go into gear at all while the car is on. When the car is off its easy put it in gear like butter. Clutch pedal feels broken. stick wont go into gear while car is on. If anybody can help me that would great. I would really appreciate it.

Overall I believe maybe there is something with the clutch cable that isn't allowing me to engage the gears when I want too. Please help me. Thank in advance
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I think you might have a problem with that clutch master cylinder, the brakes work okay though? If so, maybe clutch slave cylinder, which is inside the transmission on an 02. So it felt fine, then all the sudden gave out though...that means it probably isn't the clutch being worn down, it's probably loss of pressure with that brake fluid, like at the slave cylinder...some others know more than me about this. There are forks in there, and if they strip, then yeah it wouldn't go into gear either I think.

maybe bleed the system for air, but is it spongy? or just ...I'm confused what "clutch pedal feels broken" means.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 02:50 PM

The clutch just feel weak. Not spongy at all. Feels like the weight of my shoes could push it down without me putting my leg muscle in to it
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:52 AM

Any other suggestions?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

I'm thinking either a kinked line, or bad master/slave cylinder. I think you ought to be able to bleed the system or use a brake tester and see if the 2 are doing their jobs, or if pressure is leaking away somewhere. Either way, I don't think there is a cable loose or anything like that....but look around and see if something is broken, might be...I just think it's the slave "inside the transmission" or possibly master. Brakes work, good pressure on them?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 02:03 PM

When it was still drivable I didn't notice anything different on the breaks.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check your slave cyliner--if you dont know where it is follow you clutch line down till it ends in a cyliner between the trand and engine... my bet is its leaking and your low on fluid. Your brakes, while they share a master cylinder with the clutch have nothing to do with the clutch..
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:47 PM

If it was to be leaking. Where do I add the fluid? I'm going to go get pictures
Old Dec 7, 2010, 08:15 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

add it to the brake master. your brake master feeds your clutch master. and your problem to me seems like a clutch slave going out. but also remember when you do your clutch master/slave it is also recomended to replace the ohter as well because the other wont be too far off from needing to be replaced....

josh
Old Dec 7, 2010, 09:13 PM

I removed my intake and I see this area that seem to be some kind of fluid. I'm not sure what that is, but does anybody know what that is?I was touching it, but it felt as if it was about to crumble into pieces.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:11 PM

same here i first got my lancer from the dealer brand new.. never had any problems untill know December 2010. after 7, 8 years i got this problem same, my clutch feels loose i check under and the brake fluid was leaking, seems form under the transmission i don't know if its from a line or the trans. ... i hope is nothing big..... any comments would help...thx
Old Jan 3, 2011, 06:18 AM

what you have circled in the picture is a transmission vent... its normal to have some oil around it... younkool, i would say you slave cylinder is leaking... that calls for a transmission removal.... pretty much sucks...