Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

GTS with EVO X Cams

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GTS with EVO X Cams

There has been a fair amount of talk about putting the EVO X cams into the 4B12. I know some guys in Puerto Rico have done it, and that one guy DadsGTS has done it. I'm on board with doing this as well, but other than tuning, what else do I need to be on the look out for? Also, I'm keeping my car NA, but I understand that you can still get 20 HP out of those cams on a NA motor. Am I way out of line here?
The following 2 users liked this post by al dopa:
michael2014 (Oct 1, 2022), MitsuLancer4Evo (Mar 25, 2021)
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
let me know how it works out , i want to do my 4b12 cams as well also lmk , how hard it is
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

dadsgts and the Puerto Rico lancers are all 2008 GTS' which means that they have the smaller 2.0L 4B11 engine which the cams will fit in. However, the 4B12 is a 2.4L engine, the cams to my knowledge will not fit properly. If you are looking for new cams, either wait till later this year for companies to release theirs or look into getting SRT-4 camshafts as we use the same engine block as them.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the 2.0 so this interests me. im looking at doing this as soon as i know that its safe for both my motor and CVT.

so basically once someone gets it up and running with no issues im going to jump on it.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Also have 2.0. Just waiting for my warranty to give and green light from the pioneers who have already done this.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
cams info

Originally Posted by Carvs
dadsgts and the Puerto Rico lancers are all 2008 GTS' which means that they have the smaller 2.0L 4B11 engine which the cams will fit in. However, the 4B12 is a 2.4L engine, the cams to my knowledge will not fit properly. If you are looking for new cams, either wait till later this year for companies to release theirs or look into getting SRT-4 camshafts as we use the same engine block as them.
Hi Again: CARVS you are wrong when you said that Puerto Rico lancers are all 2008 GTS, I have a Rotor Glow Color 2009 GTS with 172 whp and 176 tq (flash tune)stock 4b12 cams. if you read my post about cams i mentioned that in a 4b11 N/A you can install 4b12 cams and EVO X cams.you dont need to wait for a company to develop cams for our cars because they all ready exsist. ANY EVO X CAMS WILL FIT OUR ENGINE PROPERLY , 4B11 NA AND 4B12 ENGINES. MY TUNER HAS A 2009 GTS 4B12 WITH BRIAN CROWER STAGE 2 CAMS (272) MAKING 196 WHP.MANY PEOPLE IN PR HAVE DONE THIS MOD WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. JUST WANT TO SAY THAT I RELEASE THIS INFO BECAUSE I LIKE MY CAR AND WANT TO HELP PEOPLE THAT LIKE THIS CARS LIKE ME.
HEY PEOPLE BUY EVO CAMS , INSTALL THE CAMS,TUNE YOUR ENGINE AND THEN SEND MY A MESSAGE GIVING ME THANKS . IF SOMEONE HAVE A QUESTION BE FREE TO WRITE ME A MESSAGE
The following 4 users liked this post by derrickeliu:
kike (Apr 21, 2022), Lancer EA (Mar 13, 2024), michael2014 (Jan 5, 2022), Most (Jun 29, 2021)
Old Jan 31, 2011, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by derrickeliu
Hi Again: CARVS you are wrong when you said that Puerto Rico lancers are all 2008 GTS, I have a Rotor Glow Color 2009 GTS with 172 whp and 176 tq (flash tune)stock 4b12 cams. if you read my post about cams i mentioned that in a 4b11 N/A you can install 4b12 cams and EVO X cams.you dont need to wait for a company to develop cams for our cars because they all ready exsist. ANY EVO X CAMS WILL FIT OUR ENGINE PROPERLY , 4B11 NA AND 4B12 ENGINES. MY TUNER HAS A 2009 GTS 4B12 WITH BRIAN CROWER STAGE 2 CAMS (272) MAKING 196 WHP.MANY PEOPLE IN PR HAVE DONE THIS MOD WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. JUST WANT TO SAY THAT I RELEASE THIS INFO BECAUSE I LIKE MY CAR AND WANT TO HELP PEOPLE THAT LIKE THIS CARS LIKE ME.
HEY PEOPLE BUY EVO CAMS , INSTALL THE CAMS,TUNE YOUR ENGINE AND THEN SEND MY A MESSAGE GIVING ME THANKS . IF SOMEONE HAVE A QUESTION BE FREE TO WRITE ME A MESSAGE
Hey Derrick,
Can I use the stock evo X cams, or should I use aftermarket ones? My question being, will the stock evo X cams give me more power, or do I need to use aftermarket ones? Any information is appreciated, I'm planning on going on this in about 2 weeks, and I need all the info I can get.

Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

My mistake, disregard my last post if that is the case. Thanks for the clarification
Old Feb 1, 2011, 05:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
cams info

Originally Posted by al dopa
Hey Derrick,
Can I use the stock evo X cams, or should I use aftermarket ones? My question being, will the stock evo X cams give me more power, or do I need to use aftermarket ones? Any information is appreciated, I'm planning on going on this in about 2 weeks, and I need all the info I can get.

Thanks.
Hi: If you have a 4b11 or 4b12 engine you can use stock EVO X cams.If i`m not wrong stock evo cams are (242) ill give you power, if you want to get more power i recommend after market cams stage 2 (272) and also install valves springs and retainers, specific for that cams.( remember you will get more power at high RPM. you can install stage 3 cams only if you use forged pistons,forged rods,and race valves,arp head bolts(fully built engine). does not matter if your car are N/A you cans install evo x cams.Remember if you do this mod , you must tune your ecu.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Hi: If you have a 4b11 or 4b12 engine you can use stock EVO X cams.If i`m not wrong stock evo cams are (242) ill give you power, if you want to get more power i recommend after market cams stage 2 (272) and also install valves springs and retainers, specific for that cams.( remember you will get more power at high RPM. you can install stage 3 cams only if you use forged pistons,forged rods,and race valves,arp head bolts(fully built engine). does not matter if your car are N/A you cans install evo x cams.Remember if you do this mod , you must tune your ecu.
Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead with some stage 2's, i'll let you know how it works out.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Evo10HKS
i have the 2.0 so this interests me. im looking at doing this as soon as i know that its safe for both my motor and CVT.

so basically once someone gets it up and running with no issues im going to jump on it.
Based on some info from Blacksheep, guys in Japan have found the CVT fails around 280 hp (whp?). On a 2.0, the cams might get you up to 2.4 power levels, so the CVT should be just fine. The 196 whp that derrickeliu is getting out of his 2.4 may be a little more cause for concern. I can't speak for the engine, but given that's it's the same starting point as the EVO, you should be good there too. Make sure you tune the engine though, otherwise you risk poor running and possible engine damage.

It goes without saying, but replacing the cams is going to wreak havoc on warranty claims of any nature relating to the engine (and possibly transmission), assuming the dealership finds out.

Last edited by Lost Viking; Feb 1, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well transmission wise, i tihnk those high HP numbers have to do more with boost. Rather than NA numbers. im sure the tranny can hold 200 at the wheels all motor. i think the turbo is what puts the stress on the tranny i could be wrong here so someone with more knowledge on the actual issue with the CVT if you could chime in that would be great. because rumor is, is that the altima and the dodge caliber all use the same CVT as us. and the highest hp motor of those is 171. so i dunno i would like to know more about possible tranny issues with this.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hello

Which is advertised duration of cams stock in 2.0 l n/a and 2.4 ?
The following users liked this post:
MitsuLancer4Evo (Mar 25, 2021)
Old Feb 2, 2011, 06:16 AM

@ EVO10HKS

You're right, the guys with 280 whp are boosted. I think you're also right about the Caliper having the same transmission, though I'm not sure about the Altima. Really, I think the biggest issue for the CVT's is torque, but if you have 280 whp, your torque is probably in that ball park too. If you're only cranking about 196 whp, the torque if probably nearly the same and your transmission will be stressed more, but probably ok. Again, from reading some of Blacksheep's posts, it's more of an issue in D mode, when the transmission is constantly adjusting the gear ratio (more heat). If you're in sport mode (simulated gears), the transmission doesn't adjust as much, so it doesn't build up as much heat. One way to combat transmission failure is to get a bigger trans cooler, which is why the RRM turbo kit comes with one.

Now that we're way off topic.....what are you guys typically using to tune? Piggyback, new flash, or new ECM?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the valve lift of the EVO X cams and the 4B11 ones the same?
Do you think it is possible to install them and drive 60-90 miles to the tuner?
So will i "loose" Power on the low end and gain some at higher RPM with the stock EVO X cams?
Michael

Quick Reply: GTS with EVO X Cams