Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

GTS with EVO X Cams

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lancer75
why did he need to sleeve the block if the pistons just drop right in? its pretty much like building the whole shortblock?

Beacuse of the difference of our block from the evo x ones.... ours are open deck the evo x ones not. Since ours are open deck we cant boost higher from 6 7 8 or 9 at the most psi without risking blowing up the engine.... Thats why we need to sleeve it to reinforce it in order for it to handle more boost. Our aluminum blocks are not as strong as the 4g63 steel ones...
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:47 PM

so all I need is

http://www.briancrower.com/view.php?pn=BC0131

and these

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/mit...lvetrain.shtml

what else??
Old Feb 8, 2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Destin_sinner
Beacuse of the difference of our block from the evo x ones.... ours are open deck the evo x ones not. Since ours are open deck we cant boost higher from 6 7 8 or 9 at the most psi without risking blowing up the engine.... Thats why we need to sleeve it to reinforce it in order for it to handle more boost. Our aluminum blocks are not as strong as the 4g63 steel ones...

thats what i figured but i wasnt sure. so when they said just evo rods and pistons it really wasnt that simple its really full rotating assembly and a sleeved block. so not really a back yard build. has to be taken to a machine shop for the work. anyone have a link to a company that sells the sleeves for out cars.

thank you craig
Old Feb 8, 2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Evo10HKS
yeah that sucks, theres no way the CVT cant handle 180whp though, the caliber RT has to put somwhere around 160, i doubt any car companies would put a tranny that close to its limit. but who knows.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...ion-flush.html

280 whp is the limit if driven hard in CVT mode (not using the paddles/bump shift). I'm sure I don't need to point out that 160 hp at the crank is nowhere near 280 at the wheels, especially with a CVT in the mix. Any engineer worth his salt wouldn't use a transmission if it truly couldn't handle more than 20 hp more than the engine it was mated to. 280 whp is more believable because that's roughly double what a stock engine will put down.

Cams, a tune, and other bolt ons will reduce the life of the transmission if you drive hard and don't take care of it. Of course, driving like a tool and not doing any maintenance will destroy it, even with a stock engine. Change the fluid regularly and don't race at every stop light and you should be fine for years. If you're really worried about it and/or you live in a hot climate, get a bigger trans cooler.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTT!
What's about the cams? anything new?
Anyone know if we still have enough clearance between the poistons and the valves if we use evo X cams?

Michael
The following users liked this post:
DailydrivenPH (Mar 20, 2022)
Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Why can people run 16 psi without any issues then
Old Feb 8, 2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lancer XI1
Why can people run 16 psi without any issues then
Who is running 16 psi? Is that with all stock internals and no sleeves?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Who is running 16 psi? Is that with all stock internals and no sleeves?

Yep, in Puerto Rico, and one guy there is running 24psi
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

You don't need sleves to install evo internals, you need them for high boost. It's just a good idea to have sleeves considering most people only install evo internals so they can handle high boost.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

dang, bunch of noobs in here lol
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

have you actually seen someone do this before i thought our trans wouldnt bolt up to the evo shortblock
i forget where i heard it, but i heard that our tranny will bolt to an evo block. so dont take that as 100% correct....
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

you are comparing evo X blocks to the 4G63 man. the 4B11T is all aluminum like ours, but is a semi-closed deck. Ive seen stock evo X motors go to almost 600 whp, and really the only noticeable difference between our block and the evo's is the fact that its semi-closed, unless im missing something else
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
you are comparing evo X blocks to the 4G63 man. the 4B11T is all aluminum like ours, but is a semi-closed deck. Ive seen stock evo X motors go to almost 600 whp, and really the only noticeable difference between our block and the evo's is the fact that its semi-closed, unless im missing something else
Exactly by being semi-close they are able to handle more boost which by consequence make them go to 600 whp or whatever whp they have been able to achieve but like you said our engines are not semi close so we cant have high boost without risking blowing the engine because of the piston movement and friction at high boost levels and since our block is open deck = hollow around the cylinders the movement and friction created by the high boost will make the cylinder walls collapse or something will blow... mmm you get the idea of what i want to say. Evo x don't have that problem since the are semi-close = reinforce around the cylinders which means they can handle more boost and not put too much stress to the pistons movement and cylinder walls etc...
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lancer XI1
Yep, in Puerto Rico, and one guy there is running 24psi

Thats the guy i was saying, that appear on the you tube video. That guy brake his engine running that kind of boost... something happen to a piston or something. But now he is running at 18 psi and made those 12.4.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:50 PM

id be happy with run 16 psi. my lancer is a daily driver. i have a 800 hp cobra to go fast in. but 120 hp in my lancer is just no fun at all.

Quick Reply: GTS with EVO X Cams