Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Can I get some help?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2002, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can I get some help?

Hey guys/girls, I live in NJ and was wandering to put an air suspension kit on my OZ Lancer and was wandering if you can help me to locate a shop that specialized in doing this type of job? Also does anyone know of a webpage that I can go to so I can find the right air suspension kit.
Living in NJ is bad because you can't really lower the car that much or the bodykit will get damage. Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2002, 05:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

God bless Jersey roads.

Not sure what air suspension is, but welcome aboard just the same. (Yeah, I know it's not the newbie forum, but this is the first post I've seen from you.)
Old Apr 29, 2002, 08:45 AM

Hmm air suspension?

Like the ones in the fast and the furious...?
Old Apr 29, 2002, 11:15 AM

Talking yep air suspensions.

What I'm referring to is, you know how lowriders have hydraulics shocks, well air suspensions system is similar to that but instead of using hydraulics to lower and raise their vehicle. The air suspensions systems consists of air bags and other components to control ride height.
In my case I'm living in new jersey and the road is not that good so when I travel on the highways and interstate I want a low ride for better centrifugal force. Where as when I'm in the city I would have my ride in a normal position as factory where my body kit would not get damage, and it ease the job of adjusting my height without having one of those
adjustables shock units where I would manually lift and lower my car.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 12:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think you're going to spend more no the hydraulic lift than you ever would repairing your body kit. Get 17"s, put on a kit, and you won't even have to drop much to appear low. If you haven't noticed, the front of the car rides higher than the rear, so scraping your fascia is less likely. Besides that our ground clearance is fairly high.

I know it sounds dumb, but try taping something like a piece of cardboard or handing a short string with a metal washer on the end from the front of your car and just cruise around real quick (don't let anyone see your wacky *** car though) and see if the stuff taps the ground or gets damaged at all. Most body kits won't drop you that much anyway. Unless you get yourself a performance suspension you won't need to be too close to the ground anyway because with any other suspension you're likely to start getting a bad case of the floats at high speeds.

I'm really getting incoherent, so I hope that made sense. Basically, if you're doin' it for looks...you'll pay for em. If you're doing it for your future body kit...I wouldn't worry, if you're doing it for performance...you're wasting your time. If it's a combination of any of the three just weigh the benefits and consequences. ...I still don't know any shops though.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 10:21 PM

What I'm referring to is, you know how lowriders have hydraulics shocks, well air suspensions system is similar to that but instead of using hydraulics to lower and raise their vehicle. The air suspensions systems consists of air bags and other components to control ride height.
You would certainly be popular with the alignment shops!
Seriously though, those kits are just for show...not exactly something you would wanna drive around with. And as for new jersey roads, c'mon. I've been driving around new hampshire roads the last few winters in my lowered talon with no real issues.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
with the money getting a custom "air suspension" (whatever that is) get a decent sport sus. as long as u dun ridculously lower the car... my friend from fort lee cant drive out to the city with his integra...

i think you'll have more fun with a Tein Type Flex with the EDFC control. fun to play with, sporty but not ridiculously un-streetable like some full track coilover kits...
Old Apr 30, 2002, 07:55 AM

How Much?

How much does the Tein Type Flex wide EDFC cost? I went to their website and can't understand it.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.tein.com/mitsubishi.html

well the EDFC is 380, it electronically controls the damping settings for front and rear and you could set it in ur car with the control panel without gettin ur hands dirty... i'm not sure if the type Flex is avialiable for the Lancer as of now, but their SS is and is a very decent kit in its own right and is more oriented for "spirited" street use. hope this info helped!
Old Apr 30, 2002, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

The Tein Type Flex was quoted to me for $1512 from German Autoworks assuming it was available. I don't think thats too bad of a price. 504lbs/inch springs though.......ouch if you ride on bumpy roads or don't like an extremely stiff ride.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

$1000 for the SS Tein Coil-OVAs which now I see is conversion of the mirage kit. Wonder why they won't give the pillow ball uppermounts cause I'd really like those AP types, maybe its a custom order or maybe its not necessary.