Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Not getting much traction at the Newbie forum so I'm posting my ?s here...

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2002, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not getting much traction at the Newbie forum so I'm posting my ?s here...

... hope that's not a problem!

Hello all!

I'm brand spankin' new to this forum and am very interested in purchasing an EVO VII when it gets to the US. There seem to be a number of iterations of the fabulous car. The versions that I'm familiar with are:

GSR
GTA
RS
RSII
Extreme
Extreme S

I've got this much: GSR = all the bells and whistles, GTA = automatic, and the Extreme models are based on the RS & RSII platforms.

I've discovered that the RS uses f/r LSDs but no ACD - that being the major differentiator. But I can't tell the difference between the GSR and the RS II.

So here are the questions:

- Why would anyone want an RS? What's the benefit of no ACD?

- What's the difference between the RS II and the GSR?

Thanks!
Old May 8, 2002, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

The RS is supposedly a more "raw" version. Lacks some of the fineries of the GSR, and I assume appeals to certain people. Most cars come in different trim levels, different options etc. It gives people choices. I do however believe that ACD was an option on the RS.

It is my understanding the the RS-II is the SAME as the GSR. Just another name for it. In other words, same car. RS-II = GSR.

Hope that helps.

Mordeth
Old May 8, 2002, 07:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I can help a wee bit. People want RS's 1. Because they're more affordable and still heavy on performance and 2. They're a great platform for rally/track/performance cars.

Less weight, less parts to be sacrificed, all the power, great platform. Hope that's a good start.

I believe the extreme models are built by a company in the UK and are based on the RSII's. I could be (and probably am) wrong about either or both parts of that though.
Old May 8, 2002, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the help!
Old May 8, 2002, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bimmer,
The RS is a version that is most used as the basis for the rally cars.
It has no AYC and no ACD and no ABS. It comes with 15" steel wheels and tiny single pot brakes. It also has no aircon, no electric windows and standard coach like seats.
The reason it comes like this is because the rally teams will always replace the interior, wheels and brakes.

The RSII can be supplied to any spec you want in between the RS and the GSR therefore there are a lot of choices. You can have AYC, no AYC, ACD, no ACD etc etc.

The Extreme and Extreme S are specials built by Ralliart UK and are based on a version of the RSII.

Hope this helps

Andy
Old May 8, 2002, 07:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by AndyF_RSX
The Extreme and Extreme S are specials built by Ralliart UK and are based on a version of the RSII.
I knew I didn't just make that up! Thanks for the clarification, Andy. Finally know the difference between an RS and an RSII...not that I'll ever own either.
Old May 9, 2002, 08:13 AM

Thanks for all the clarification! Here's one thing I found out:

eXtreme conversions are undertaken on the RSII model whereas eXtreme S conversions are performed on the RS model of Evolution VII.

Got it from: http://www.globalperformance.co.uk/eXtreme2.asp

Thanks!