Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evoultion model variants

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2003, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution model variants

Someone in another thread was asking about the differences in the Evolution models. Just in case anyone else was wondering...

RS = motorsport specific model. No A/C, no brembos, 15" steel rims. no recaros, wind up windows. lighter. No sound proofing. Black door handles, black side mirrors. Car comes only in white. Intended for use in group N. Comes with the Titanium Alumnide turbo. ACD standard as with all post Evo 6 (except usdm of course). Its programming is more suited to competition use compared to the AYC/ACD gsr/rs2 awd ecu. The 6speed & Super AYC is a dealer option for the E8.

RS2 / RSII = "export version" : A/C (like the one you guys have i.e. its not a climate control), brembos, ACD, AYC, recaros, no rear wiper, Titanium turbo is standard. No foglight in the headlight assembly. This is the version that is the colt car company imports into the uk. It is the version on which the fq300 is based. This is the model we get from the dealer in Jamaica. Nice car.

GTA = 2002 model year with InvecsIII automatic transmission, 270hp. No vents in the bonnet, comes with the little spoiler as standard, however the big one is a factory option. Steel Turbo. (Ti factory option). ACD/AYC, Brembos etc.

FQ300 = UK's answer to the phenomenal success of the WRX ProDrive Pack. The name means "f###ing quick" Hayward & Scott exhaust (some have HKS), Blue high flow panel filter, HKS intake piping, ECU reflashed by Power Eng. 300bhp. The car is modified by CCC after registration to sidestep the UK regulations.

GSR = Japanese market only. Not OFFICIALLY exported by , Although they are freely available on the grey market. Some countries like Singapore get them as official imports, although this seems to be an exception to the rule.
Its like the RSII, but comes with the steel (inconel) turbo as standard. (Ti as option!). Climate control, rear wiper, foglights (which comes on independently of the main lights). Has only 1 o2 sensor bung unlike the rs2 which has an extra one post-cat. (thanks erikgj for that info).

VIII Extreme : http://xtreme-uk.net/NewsArticle.asp...bankdetails=27

Last edited by jemm; Sep 21, 2003 at 12:34 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

sorry about the spelling mistake in the topic.... I am just waking up **YAWN**
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

so the best one (fastest) is the GSR?
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Thats very good and detailed info jemm.....
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by elpedro
so the best one (fastest) is the GSR?
Other than the Extremes, the quickest stock evo in a staight line would be the RS as its lighter. The GSR is the heaviest stock evo, but in one of the latest Best Motoring Videos, the GSR E8 had the best time around the Tsukuba circuit due to the impressive performance of the SuperAYC. That video is a great buy if you can find it

Last edited by jemm; Aug 31, 2003 at 10:19 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by limey
Thats very good and detailed info jemm.....
Thanks... Enjoy your trip to the UK. In the minds of many evo enthusiasts, The USDM Evo is a force to be reckoned with. Why??
Well its lighter because of the lack of the active diffs. Has that superb RS rear LSD and all the creature comforts of a gsr (except the climate control *darn ). Look at what Alfred and other tuners have done with it so far!!

Alfred has not blown any diffs yet, in comparison to a local drag racer that had to fit rs diffs to his gsr cause he blew them @ 500WHP!

I am a bit disappointed in though. They had a golden chance to step up to the plate with the American market. Stuff like climate control should NOT be left out of a $30G car. Their marketing also pales in comparison to what Subaru does.. I have only seen 1 evo ad on dss/c-band, yet Lance Armstrong is in your face with his wrx so often! (yeah.. we only watch US tv down here ).

Last edited by jemm; Aug 31, 2003 at 10:15 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

and as another member said just recently.."he rides a bike...whats up with that?"
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Is the RS, the same as the RS available (import??) in the UK?

I saw it reviewed in the UK car magazine EVO and it spit out ~ 340 HP at the crank and had no AYC. They said only the most insane EVO purist would love it, but somehow I just when I read it!
Old Sep 21, 2003, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by revhappy
Is the RS, the same as the RS available (import??) in the UK?

I saw it reviewed in the UK car magazine EVO and it spit out ~ 340 HP at the crank and had no AYC. They said only the most insane EVO purist would love it, but somehow I just when I read it!

Yes thats the one, I got a chance to play with the 7RS once... its snappy! No A/C = impractical for daily use. imho
one could always have one fitted though!
Old Sep 21, 2003, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Somehow from what i heard, the RS does not perform on the track as well as the GSR or RSII. Even when u uprate the brakes and rims tires etc... ACD and AYC seems to be extremely useful on the track. My .02
Old Sep 21, 2003, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

jemm - Thanks for passing on the knowledge. I've wondered about that whole RS2/RSII thing for a while now. The other variants I was familiar with, but for newbies that should be required reading.

A couple of notes from evo magazine: When they tested the US-market Evo in Thailand over the winter, they found that the lack of AYC/ACD actually made the car more fun than the super-spec versions found elsewhere. They also ran a UK-spec Evo VII RS Sprint (very lightweight, no amenities, 330hp) for a long-term test. They loved the car, but said it was tough to live with day-to-day.

With rumors of a lightweight Evo coming to the US (Think RS-spec), I think I will be fine keeping my GSR equivalent. If I hadn't bought and Evo and was planning to drag/autocross/road race, etc., then the RS model would fit the ticket - just as Mitsu intended. Thanks again, jemm!

Chris
Old Sep 21, 2003, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Evolution model variants

Originally posted by jemm

GSR = Japanese market only. Not OFFICIALLY exported by , Although they are freely available on the grey market.
Like the RSII, but comes with the steel(inconel) turbo as standard. (Ti as option!). Climate control, rear wiper, foglights (which comes on independently of the main lights). Has only 1 o2 sensor bung unlike the rs2 which has an extra one post-cat. (thanks erikgj for that info).
GSR model is officially imported by the local distributor here in Singapore.

You left out some details as well:

1) RS is available only in white.
2) RS door handles and side view mirrors are in black
3) Evo 8 RS can be ordered with 6 speed and Super AYC as an option.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Oh yes I don't know how i could have forgotten about those!
info added

Last edited by jemm; Sep 21, 2003 at 12:35 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Chris, I read the article in Thailand as well. They did not really do any proper testing on the cars. It was more of a showcase to journalists. And the key word u mentioned here is fun. I agree, driving the evo 7 RS can be quite thrilling as it is way easy to oversteer and get tail out action. But frankly, if you read the UK magazines, watch Top Gear, Best motoring, etc... the fastest standard evo around twisted bits has both ayc and acd. Good work Jemm