Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

glow gauges trouble installing!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2004, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glow gauges trouble installing!

just got my illumaglo gauges to replace the ugly ones my ES has, they are white faces and red and blue lit at night, if anyone has these installed plz let me know how u did it, bcuz i couldnt figure out how they hook up...
Old Jan 1, 2004, 06:11 PM

I installed mine last week. What couldnt you figure out? Was it getting the cluster out or actually putting the guage faces on.
Old Jan 1, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

I think he is most likely talking about getting power to them. I would run the power lead over to the dimmer switch.
Old Jan 1, 2004, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

yea i am talking about actually hooking them up, i got the cluster out and the face off and everything and the new face on fine, but it says to disconnect the wire harness in back, and there is like 30 wires back there and none of them look like the plug for my new gauges would fit, i am confused wut to unhook and where to hook them in....
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Please post some pics and maybe someone can point you in the right direction. I didnt know when you just changed out faces, not clusters that you did anything with the wiring harness. Those large plugs are mainly use to "feed" the info to the gauges not really for lighting purposes (but yes there is some control for them in there ). One face covers that I have installed each one had a small plug at teh end of a wire attached to each face. Then that pluged into some type of small convertorbox that had a power and ground lead running out of it. You could have something different seeing on how many people make these overlays now.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 02:50 PM

I think i took the plugs out of the cluster, but that was only to take the cluster out. As far as hooking up the new guages, you should only need to run + and - to the inverter. The only wires you need for the white guages should already be hooked up to the white face at the top left.That is if i remember correctly.

Last edited by poolshark2015; Jan 2, 2004 at 02:54 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by poolshark2015
I think i took the plugs out of the cluster, but that was only to take the cluster out. As far as hooking up the new guages, you should only need to run + and - to the inverter. The only wires you need for the white guages should already be hooked up to the white face at the top left.That is if i remember correctly.
You are basically saying what I just said except you got the last part reversed . This is how I have isntalled gauges:
1. Take out your cluster, a few screws and what not and pull it out. (Most cars should be about the same, screw holes of course will vary0
2. Place the new faces over existing gauges. Your new gauges should come with a small box with two leads coming out of it. Usaully color coded red (power) black (ground). Also your gauges should each also have a lead coming off of them to ilumminate the face. These leads should be connected already or you may have to connect them to the box yourself. Mine was set up like this: Male plug on wire coming from gauge face that plugged into a female -plug that ran off the convertor.
3. Once you have your gauges and necesary wires ran to the convertor now its time to wire them up for power. Run the Black cable over to a bolt (easily found underneath the dash somewhere) Just make sure the blot is actually going thru the cars metal chasis. Now if you are not comforable with splicing or dont know what wire to splice into you can just run the power lead (red) from the convertor box down to your fuse box. This is the lazy mans way until you DO figure out what wire to splice into. Find the fuse for your cig lighter and wrap the lead around 1 and I do mean 1 of teh fuses spades NOT BOTH!!!!!!! This idea i give to you only as a temp set up.

REMEMBER THIS IS NO EXACT GUIDE TO INSTALL THESE THINGS ON A LANCER IT IS JUST A GENERAL IDEA ON A PATH TO TAKE AND TO TRY TO POINT YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks alot guys!