Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

lancer vs evo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
You won't make 287 HP, which is what an Evo makes, by simply slapping a turbo onto an otherwise stock Lancer. That's more than doubling the stock output. If we assume that 1 PSI=10 HP, a fairly average gain, you would need to run 16 PSI to get those kinds of numbers. Good luck running 16 PSI on the stock block for long. You're also making the fairly ridiculous statement that because a car has as much power as an Evo, it basically is an Evo. That's like saying because a woman has the same chest size as Kate Upton, she's practically as good looking as Kate Upton.
Hahahahaha I made 17 pounds of boost on my stock block lancer Es, so I guess let's reclarify if you like the Evo and can afford it buy it, if you want something like an Evo get a turbo lancer...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
And how long did it last? Most people who have modified Lancers on here recommend getting new pistons and rods for anything about 10-12 PSI.

I think a better statement would be "if you want a turboed Lancer, turbocharge your Lancer". A turbocharged Lancer is no more an Evo than a turbocharged Cobalt is a Corvette.

Edit: It looks like you put 8000 miles on your turbocharged Lancer before you got rid of it. Didn't find any dynos proving your power claims though.

Last edited by ambystom01; Sep 12, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bro. for sure bro. your car is awesome bro. lancers for life bro. bro.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
And how long did it last? Most people who have modified Lancers on here recommend getting new pistons and rods for anything about 10-12 PSI.

I think a better statement would be "if you want a turboed Lancer, turbocharge your Lancer". A turbocharged Lancer is no more an Evo than a turbocharged Cobalt is a Corvette.

Edit: It looks like you put 8000 miles on your turbocharged Lancer before you got rid of it. Didn't find any dynos proving your power claims though.
it lasted my whole thread if you want to check it out... 02 Lancer ES Turbo Project and I was able to tear it down back to stock, sell the turbo kit, and sell the car running in excellent condition

oh and I did get a dyno when my coils were in bad shape
240 hp, 241 wtq I'll get you a pic later
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven121
it lasted my whole thread if you want to check it out... 02 Lancer ES Turbo Project and I was able to tear it down back to stock, sell the turbo kit, and sell the car running in excellent condition

oh and I did get a dyno when my coils were in bad shape
240 hp, 241 wtq I'll get you a pic later
And how many miles were run at 17 PSI? Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's a good idea. The general consensus after a decade is that anything about the 10-12 PSI range is playing with fire.

Those numbers aren't wildly helpful without some baseline reference.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

So let me get this straight.. You want an evo but bought a new lancer es for around 17k?

Why didn't you just buy a built block evo 8 for the same amount??
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=thatguy5;10399637]So let me get this straight.. You want an evo but bought a new lancer es for around 17k?

[SIZE=5]Why didn't you just buy a built block evo 8 for the same amount??

Correction to thatguy5 I thought you were talking to me about an evo

Yea Amby I'll give you that I stayed at 12 for awhile before bumping it up to 17 pounds but it wasn't very many miles maybe less than 1000 I don't remember but I agree no one should go above 12 unless they are confident in thier tuning, or unless the motor blows up
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancer se04
Can I tune my 2012 lancer se 2.4 like a evo and put evo parts in it.
i have a 2012 lancer se awd cvt trany, i was wondering if i put a oversized trany inercooler in would that help my tranny performance under hard driving. also another quick question whats a good bolt up performance exhaust system.
on my lancer se i cant drive my car in full awd only fwd i was told i can only use my awd in winter, or on gravel or sand but i cant drive awd all the time is their anything i can do to change that like any mods to my awd diff. any positive answers or post would be appreciated thank you.
From his other threads.. THE THINGS I WOULD SAY TO THIS GUY IF I MET HIM IN PERSON, probably facepalm myself so hard i knock myself out
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive spent very little to get into the 12s NA. Only $4k . Ive modified afew evos and plenty of lancers. It all comes down to your pocket book. The evos are in a different insurance bracket then the rest of the lancer family. I have more performance then a stock evo for far less cost. I do want an evo dont get me wrong but having too much fun with my Ralliart. Evo owner will tell the rest of lancer community if they want more power get an evo which always makes laugh lol. If there are any evo owners near sacramento,ca I plan on racing my ralliart next year if yall want to come out.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

The did some like this on top gear uk once. They used an EVO as their performance reference and tried to build a car that meets or exceeds the level of performance of the EVO for the same or less than the cost of the EVO. IIRC they started with a used Renault.

Like most of what they do it caught fire and they ran away.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP-Ralliart
ive spent very little to get into the 12s NA. Only $4k . Ive modified afew evos and plenty of lancers. It all comes down to your pocket book. The evos are in a different insurance bracket then the rest of the lancer family. I have more performance then a stock evo for far less cost. I do want an evo dont get me wrong but having too much fun with my Ralliart. Evo owner will tell the rest of lancer community if they want more power get an evo which always makes laugh lol. If there are any evo owners near sacramento,ca I plan on racing my ralliart next year if yall want to come out.
Yeah but the point is you can get an evo to do 12s with little to none done other then an exhast and a tune. Hell you might not even need that, a good tune and some weight savings.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Yeah but the point is you can get an evo to do 12s with little to none done other then an exhast and a tune. Hell you might not even need that, a good tune and some weight savings.
true. total cost with parts was 20k brand new in 2004 to were you couldnt even buy an evo for 20k at the time. The evo vs lancer is comparing apples to oranges.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP-Ralliart
true. total cost with parts was 20k brand new in 2004 to were you couldnt even buy an evo for 20k at the time. The evo vs lancer is comparing apples to oranges.
Yeah totally agree. I am sure you can agree with everyone else who has replied drive an evo and then compair the 2.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Evolved Monkey
The money and effort it would take to modify a lancer into something with comparable performance of a stock Evo would cost more than trading in said lancer and buying a used Evo.
But hey, if you are satisfied with your lancer like you stated then good for you; however the psychologist in me translated that whole post as "I wish I had an Evo". :P
visit roadracemotorsport.com and check out their lancer , then find a new psychologist
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, I'm sure he cares 5 years later.