Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Remote Starter + Alarm?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats only if u try locking the car with the stock alarm clicker..if ur gettin a remote start..that is obviously an aftermarket alarm which will allow u to lock the car cause it doesn't integrate itself into the oem alarm system fastkey
Old Dec 1, 2007, 08:55 AM

The kit I have been looking at is just a remote start no door locks or anything it ties in with factory alarm and all it does is start the car.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 08:02 PM

Remote Starter Compatible to my lancer de 2009

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I don't have any experiences in remote car installation.

1st. I just want to ask if what remote starter is of good quality and cheap? I am also planning to install an alarm system.

2nd. What tools and parts do I need for remote starter installation?

3rd. Do I also need a trunk release kit? Details: I have a keyless entry key, and there's a button for trunk release.\

please help me. Thank you guys!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Good and cheap?

Cheap and annoying? Plenty. Cheap ones may occasionally not let you start the car until you grab a handful of wires under the dash and yank them in a rage...

Go with a major brand. Crimestopper is a good one. Read the reviews.

You will need standard electrical tools (good multi-meter, wire strippers, solder/gun, shrink wrap (preferred) or good electrical tape. Extra plastic tabs for replacing broken ones removing substantial amounts of interior trim

You may also need a module to bypass your FAST key if you have one.

Cell phone app starters/alarms require a hefty monthly charge (be aware of that before buying (since you started with "cheap" )

Lastly, you will need a wiring diagram for your car.

If your trunk release works now and the new remote has trunk release - you will just tie into the existing wire. (did that help?)
The following users liked this post:
elwyn (Apr 11, 2017)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica
Good and cheap?

Cheap and annoying? Plenty. Cheap ones may occasionally not let you start the car until you grab a handful of wires under the dash and yank them in a rage...

Go with a major brand. Crimestopper is a good one. Read the reviews.

You will need standard electrical tools (good multi-meter, wire strippers, solder/gun, shrink wrap (preferred) or good electrical tape. Extra plastic tabs for replacing broken ones removing substantial amounts of interior trim

You may also need a module to bypass your FAST key if you have one.

Cell phone app starters/alarms require a hefty monthly charge (be aware of that before buying (since you started with "cheap" )

Lastly, you will need a wiring diagram for your car.

If your trunk release works now and the new remote has trunk release - you will just tie into the existing wire. (did that help?)
Hi Veronica,

Yes, it is very helpful thank you!

I am now deciding which starter to take whether viper or crimestopper. Which one do you think is best? By the way I live in Winnipeg, and winter is 6months a year. Having a remote starter will help me a lot but still looking for quality or cheap(optional) one's that works great even if it's below 40 outside.

I don't have a fast key, will I still need a bypass module? I only have this kind of key, the remote head keyless entry.

Old Apr 12, 2017, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Either Viper or CS is fine. Pick based on features and price.

Ambient temp doesn't matter to a remote start - as long the car starts normally with the key - it will start remote.

I am "pretty sure" you won't need a module for that key - I know if I take a key/remote to the local hardware store to copy the key - they have a "tester" for chipped keys.

Budget a whole weekend for the install since it is your first time.