Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

plasti dip rims?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question plasti dip rims?

hey guys, i want to plasti dip my lancer gts rims black but im not sure if I should sand off the clear coat first. Has anyone used plasti dip on they're rims? If you have can you tell me if you sanded and how they held up so far? Also if they look good on a black lancer. Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:40 PM

i think plastidip sticks on almost any surface so no need to sand im guessing? I didn't sand my rims, but i had to use a can of primer from dupli color to paint my rims black. Plus, plastidip peels off after drying so you got nothing to lose exept $8 for the paint.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:06 AM

no need to sand them. aslong as you have a couple coats on and have not missed any spots you should be good. I have been planning to do this myself because powder coating is too much work. I did a test and it adhered well.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:33 AM

I thought about plasti dippin my wheels and actually did 1 to see if i would like it and it looks decent. but to answer your question, no you dont need to sand the rims just make sure you clean them really well before you start and make sure they are completly dry. i left one spot damp on accident and i had a nasty bubble, but i just peeled that piece off and touched it up (plasti dip is great for that). anyway good luck
Old Aug 1, 2011, 09:42 AM

thanks guys. i did plastidip them and i really like how they came out!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

photo???
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:44 PM

I don't think Plasti Dip is good idea, I normally hear that people get it Powder Coated . Im pretty sure. .
Old Aug 17, 2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by biggiesmalls3
I don't think Plasti Dip is good idea, I normally hear that people get it Powder Coated . Im pretty sure. .
I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to touch note on this quote. Plasti-dip is completely safe. It will peel off once dried if you don't like it, and it won't harm any paint or the rims.

Powder coating is expensive, and if people like the matte black (or whatever color Plasti-dip you get) look and want that, Plasti-dipping is the way to go! It can withstand car washes, off roading, mud, curbs, anything you can throw at it. It's not a permanent color, it is temporary, meaning it can last as long as a day if you want, or as long as a year+. It might need some touching up, but it blends evenly so if you do have to touch it up, you're not gonna really notice.

I have plasti-dipped my previous car and am slowly doing it to my new car. I recommend it to everyone! It's a job mod, but looks great in the end. Google "how to plasti-dip rims," you'll see a lot of different people on different forums and hear about their success. Remember, it's not permanent, if you don't like the way it looks, peel it off.