Notices
Lancer-Mirage Compatibility Forum For parts that can be used on both Lancer & Mirage models, post/look in here.

4G93 intake manifold installed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:41 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bahamut
good hunting guys . . . someone needs to get an E8 TB. Do what no Mitsu engineers never thought of doing to conservative 4G9x motors, excluding MIVEC.
DONT FOIL MY PLANS!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iamkar33m
DONT FOIL MY PLANS!!!!!!!!!!
You mean put a 2nd gen MIVEC onto a G94 . . . It's possible, but I think Mitsu changed the harness pin connectors (design) to the ecu . . . might need the entire wire harness. BTW: I have taken a look at the 4g69 stroke yet since I don't even know its redline.

Drawback: I don't know if the G94 high stroke can take a constant beating at +7K rpm. Amongst the mirage guys, we believe a G93 MIVEC will lose some RPM due to the longer stroke than the G92, and we highly don't expect a G93 MIVEC will hit +8.5 rpm w/o tossing a rodbearing or something. It's a matter how much rpm will be lost from a G92 to G94 MIVEC.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:54 AM
Account Disabled

You mean put a 2nd gen MIVEC onto a G94 . . . It's possible, but I think Mitsu changed the harness pin connectors (design) to the ecu . . . might need the entire wire harness. BTW: I have taken a look at the 4g69 stroke yet since I don't even know its redline.

Drawback: I don't know if the G94 high stroke can take a constant beating at +7K rpm. Amongst the mirage guys, we believe a G93 MIVEC will lose some RPM due to the longer stroke than the G92, and we highly don't expect a G93 MIVEC will hit +8.5 rpm w/o tossing a rodbearing or something. It's a matter how much rpm will be lost from a G92 to G94 MIVEC.
Naw I mean i have both evo FSM and lancer FSM and im comparing the IM and TB's thinking I could take it to another level

Only problem is finding an Evo IM/TB that's CHEAP... ain't gonna happen
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

What's FSM?

The Evo IM won't fit a G9x block. IMs are usually designed for a specific motor family. It's like using an H22 IM and mated it to a B-series engine . . . a haphazard guess, I don't think it has worked or fit. Dunno . . . H&A crew can spend tons of money like Evo and Supra guys.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:08 PM
Account Disabled

What's FSM?

The Evo IM won't fit a G9x block. IMs are usually designed for a specific motor family. It's like using an H22 IM and mated it to a B-series engine . . . a haphazard guess, I don't think it has worked or fit. Dunno . . . H&A crew can spend tons of money like Evo and Supra guys.
FSM = factory service manual

I sorta got the idea that adapting the 6x manifold to the 9x block wouldnt work but I guess if I get a good job and make some decent cash i'd give it a try. But for now imma stick with buying that 93 IM and learning the art of PnP (port and polish).
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AirQuez
I just remembered that I have a spare IM sitting in my closet. Anyone wants it , please PM me. Probably like 50 bucks shipped (shameless for sale plug).
Which engine did it come off of?
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Porting isn't that hard on the IM, just time-consuming. Precision and dedication are also the key. PnP on the cyl head is different. It takes one goof up to spoil the entire cyl head, ie shaving too much material that seats around the valve relief.

It's just like welding. There are plain to bad welders, and there are masterful welders.

Last edited by bahamut; Mar 3, 2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

thabk baha for the....posts...tho i have read it before...it still helps....maybe ill hit up on of the local mirage guys to help me out on this one...so an Evo8 Tb should work also?....only problem with that is EVO8 owners think they their parts are made of gold...so they tend kto charge a lot more
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:21 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
thabk baha for the....posts...tho i have read it before...it still helps....maybe ill hit up on of the local mirage guys to help me out on this one...so an Evo8 Tb should work also?....only problem with that is EVO8 owners think they their parts are made of gold...so they tend kto charge a lot more
No, the evo 8 4g63 manifold would not work on the 4g94 block. Different families. Bahamut was saying it would be an engineering miracle if anyone pulled it off.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

We, mirage guys, never verified anything on the Evo 8, except for the simple, in-sight stuff. It's an educated guess that the E8 share similar stuff to the DSM but facing the other way. Also, 1g DSM doesn't really meet OBD2 standards (less emission plumbing) like the E8.

As for its pricing, I won't comment.

Another to look at: the 3KGT NA or VR4. Although I have seen 2 NA versions at the junk yard, I wasn't able to find its TB within the glut of plastic stuff covering the engine. Also, my arms aren't too long . . . the engine bay is huge but has no room to play around in it. This is the 1g version of the 3kGT, no 2g 3kGT in the salvage yard yet.

In the 3g eclipse, the 6g72 has its TB throttle cable facing the firewall. No use to us.

Last edited by bahamut; Mar 3, 2005 at 12:32 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW you don't really polish the IM- in fact it's been shown that leaving the surface rough promotes turbulence which helps with the air/fuel mix. Although I did remoev as much of the casting as I could to have that much extra volume to work with.

For the head, don't be scurred There's not a lot of mechanical polishing that can be done on the inside because there's hardly any room. I used various grits of sandpaper wrapped around a popsicle stick to do most of that work near the valves. There's no deshrouding to do (yay). The best tool I can recommend is a router speed controller to reduce the speed of your die grinder. Mine spins at 20KRPM full throttle and the RSC brings it down to probably 5-6K. I also recommend using the cutting bur sparingly and doing a lot of work with the sanding rolls with WD40 as the lubricant (be generous with the lube, just like with your woman.... oh wait, sorry Kareem, but that's gonna be good advice later on, too Sorry I had to do it ) After I finished with the rolls I switched to small squares of sand paper on my finger and did a lot of the polishing work by hand. Lots of WD40 is still a good idea- it cleans the paper and it clears away the aluminum dust.

good luck!
Old Mar 3, 2005, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iamkar33m
No, the evo 8 4g63 manifold would not work on the 4g94 block. Different families. Bahamut was saying it would be an engineering miracle if anyone pulled it off.
read my post again kremey...TB=throttle body not manifold
Old Mar 3, 2005, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

I meant to say porting the IM . . . I'm so used to typing PnP.

If you polish up the IM runner, you'll screw up the turbulence effect. A 4g mirage owner had done so, and his motor didn't want to punch beyond 4K rpm or so. Also, a CEL came too. Constant bogging.

Last edited by bahamut; Mar 3, 2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

should you get it too smooth, just run the bur in there real quick to rough it up- no problem

And yeah, we get to dependent on abbreviations sometimes, no biggie.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 01:53 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
read my post again kremey...TB=throttle body not manifold
Sorry bout that...

I am working on getting that g93 manifold and the 1st gen dsm TB (60mm) just like rhyzin is doing. Hopefully what bahamut posted about splicing that one yellow wire into the TPS solves the high idle problem.

Anyone know where I can get a spare head for the 4g94? I wanna fool around with one (try PnP on it).

Quick Reply: 4G93 intake manifold installed