Notices

New Head Unit - Dash Kit Needed?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2006, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Head Unit - Dash Kit Needed?

WHAT'S UP RA OWNERS??? Finally getting around to upgrading my head unit. I currently have the stock Infinity Cd Player head unit - do we need to buy any kind of dash mounting kit? the stock one mounts flush and i want to make sure an aftermarket one will mount ok...anyone know?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

my JVC mounted up perfectly, and my trim ring for the radio matches the silver surround perfectly. My radio doesnt sick out more that a 1/2 inch from the dash, simply because it has a flip down face. If you could find one without a flip face you could mount it flat.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

the stock h/u comes with bracket that are mounted on the sides you can remove thes and attacth them to the new h/u an that way it will be a perfect fit - from what I have seen or found is that they all come with a universal screw mountings so that it is as easy to just swap over factory brackets and install - hardest part will be the rewiring
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:14 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
In some instances, such as with my pioneer deck, you have to use some washers behind the brackets to make the HU stick out enough to attach the trim piece, but that's pretty easy.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:01 AM

hey otter what do you mean washers behind the bracket. because i just installed my pioneer the other day and i have this exact problem!!! i was gonna post up pics here in a bit.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
He means you swap the stock brackets onto your new HU, then when you go to bolt it into the dash, you put a washer or two on the bolts that hold it into the dash, between the bracket and the dash. It moves the face of the radio out a little bit further, which can make all the difference in getting the trim ring on or not.

My Alpine went in just fine, no washers needed.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 04:18 PM

cool thanks alot for the info. i will try it tonight.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Post RA's have an "ISO" dash mount

Hey guys...I called Crutchfield and spoke with a rep...I was told the kind of mount for our RA's is called an "ISO" mount. meaning we have to take off the front of the dash surrounding the factory head unit (Infinity in my case) and then remove the cd player. Then we put the dash back on FIRST, and the slide the new HU in. That will automatically recess the HU in as far as it will go, tight and secure - but with just the right amount sticking out for the snap ring...this again comming straight from Crutchfield-which i have done plent of business with and they are mostly right all of the time. Well find out once i get my new HU in this Saturday and installed. I will post pics for everyone if you tell me where i can upload them at...i actually don't know lol.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Crutchfield is WRONG.
you removed the dash, 3 knobs, 2 screws, 4 clips, 4 bolts hold the bracket in that hold the radio in, you slide out the whole assmebly, transfer the bracket from the old radio to the new one, install the assembly, bolt that back in, then the dash goes back on, the 2 bolts, and the 3 knobs
Old Oct 20, 2006, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Agreed, Crutchfield is wrong in this case. The way they tell you to install the HU, the plastic trim piece of the dash is all that's holding the radio in. Use the factory radio brackets, and shim with washers if needed.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Do not forget the wiring harness adapter if you planning to keep your stock amp.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

I concur. The bracket mounts are much more secure in the vehicle.