Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Wheel Bearings:

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks mcgarvey.
I got a quote from the dealership for the parts:
Knuckle 270$
Bearing 148$
Retainer 15$
Hub 126$
-----------------
559$ + labour
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:33 AM

Hello forum members! I was also wondering if I could get some advice here.

I also have this chirping noise in one of my wheels as someone previously described. Except the noise stops once I apply the brakes. Is it the caliper sticking or is it the bearing? What do you guys think?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds to me like You ned to take your brake pads out, and on the back side spread a very thin layer of Hi temp grease where the back of the pads make contact with the caliper and piston, usually this is cause by the little movement of the pad in its spot.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 01:10 AM

Cool, I will try that. Thank you.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Ya if you get dust behind the pad, it will wear it down to the bare metal and screech. Auto parts stores sell this gunk too that you just spread on the back of the pad and then put it on and it will kinda stick the pad in place and stop all the squealing. I did it too mine as I live in a very dusty area and it eliminated the squeal and its never come back.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

hey guys i didn't want to start a new thread on this topic but maybe you guys can help me out.

do you know what sound bad bearings would make (i.e. a loud grinding noise?)

Today I jacked up the car and put the car in 'D'rive to see where the noise was coming from and my front driver side tire was making a loud grinding sound. I also checked to see if i could wiggle the tire, but it didn't budge.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

How loud? Check your dust shield it will also cause this and usually is pretty loud, it is easily bent and start rubbing and is easily bent back away from the rotor. I imagine if its really loud and it was your bearing you would have your car pulling to the left constantly.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
How loud? Check your dust shield it will also cause this and usually is pretty loud, it is easily bent and start rubbing and is easily bent back away from the rotor. I imagine if its really loud and it was your bearing you would have your car pulling to the left constantly.
its REALLY loud...it makes a loud woo woo woo woo noise on the interior. when i pulled the tire off again today it sounded like something grinding as the wheel was turning in 'D'rive. also there was no play when i tried to wiggle the rotor.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

I would check your dust shield its just a metal plate on the back side of the rotor. It doesnt take much for it to rub against the rotor making a hell of a noise. Happened to me I thought my wheel was gonna fall of at first lol.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Double-row ball bearings RARELY develop free play when they fail. Just because theres no play in the wheel doesn't mean the bearing is good.

To identify a failed bearing if the noise is in the front, you put the car up on the lift or jackstands and let it idle in gear. Using a long screwdriver or prybar with the handle end against your ear, touch the other end to each front knuckle and compare the sounds. One will likely have a "rough" sound to it if you have a failed bearing. This is exactly how the mechanic at the dealership will diagnose it should you choose to bring it there.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Ok guys, I am going crazy here. Here is the issue with my car. When I drive the car, I get a loud humming/whirring noise and it sounds like the passenger side. When i turn the wheel slightly right it get louder but when i turn it left it goes away.

I had the right bearing and c/v axle replaced as well as the outer tie rod and had my alignment done but now the car sounds exactly the same.

the shop is telling me the left bearing is bad as well.

My car has 185K miles and it was lowered about a month or so ago with TEINs with all new strut mounts. I also had new front sway bar links installed at the time.

What is wrong with my car?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 05:12 AM

after a bunch of replaced bearings, I finally seem to have found one that lasts....
I replaced the left one early last year IIRC, and it's still doing good.
Replaced the right one with the new bearing last month, and if all goes well, it'll be the last one i replace.

I got these from autopartsway.ca
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

I was replacing bearings on my passenger side like crazy I went through four in 8 months. Found my hub was bent, went and good a whole new hub assy and all is well.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys, does anyone have any suggestions for my issue above? The loud humming/vibration noise doesn't always start right away but as soon as I turn the wheel to the right it pretty much keeps doing that until I turn to the left.