Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Rotor Removal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2002, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rotor Removal

i need help taking the rotors off do i need to take that nut lookin thing off?????
Old Oct 16, 2002, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Rotor Removal

First off on the Lancer you don't need to take the drive shaft nut off. You just need to take the caliper assembly off.
1. Make sure you have the parking brake on.
2. Loosen your lug nuts on the wheel you are going to work on(Do Not Remove them, just loosen to make your job easier taking off the wheel)
3. Jack up the car until that wheel clears the ground, plus make sure you have the car supported w/jackstand(s)
4. Remove the lugs and wheel.
5. On the back side of the caliper assembly, you will notice 2 bolts. The top one(lock pin) is larger the bottom one(guide pin) is smaller. You will have to remove these two.
6. Once the pins are out you need to lift the caliper off the rotor making sure not to tug or bend the brake hose. I usually have a spare jackstand handy and rest the caliper on the jackstand or you can use a wire.
7. Now you need to take the brake pads w/shims off the assembly, not too hard!
8. Everything is off except for the rotor and the caliper mount/support/bracket(whatever you want to call it). Again on the backside of the assembly you will see two large bolts(same size this time), these have to come off too!
9. Now everything is gone except for the rotor, for most of us the rotor will just slide off, but if the rotor is baked on you must use a bolt in the threaded holes(make sure the bolt is the same size as the hole).
Assembly is reverse of Removal.
Note: You might need c-clamp the depress the piston on the caliper if rotor is thicker than the one replaced or if you replaced brake pads in the process.
Also, when reinstalling the brake pads, you need to install them at an angle, the end closer to the center of the rotor goes on first, then furthest.

Last edited by Sonantoni; Oct 16, 2002 at 01:22 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks man thats a big help i owe u lol