Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Strange Clunk

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Clunk

So this afternoon I started my car and put it in D (I have a CVT) and started to drive and I heard a strange clunk. I didn't think much of it because the next time I stopped at a stop sign and accelerated it didn't happen ahain. Then, after going into the store I was going to, I started it up and started to drive and I heard the clunk again. When I got home, just to test it out, I stopped in my neighborhood and turned the car off and then back on. Sure enough, when I started to move, I heard the clunk again.

It just happens one time when the car moves for the first time after being started.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

It's not something dragging under my car because I looked, and from the drivers seat it sounds like the noise comes from where the transmission is located on the car.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Happens to me all the time buddy. I believe its just our CVT transmission waking up!

It doesn't really bother me anymore, and since it really isn't a driveability issue, I'm not too worried about it.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:33 PM

Yup my CVT does this everytime too....but i only actually notice at work when i am pulling out of my parking spot..it seems to do it when i turn the wheels after a start...kinda strange haha
Old Jul 31, 2008, 02:10 AM
Evolving Member

Well that makes me feel a little bit better knowing that other people have experienced the same problem.

Neither of you have had any problems with your transmissions?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MFO Jester
Well that makes me feel a little bit better knowing that other people have experienced the same problem.

Neither of you have had any problems with your transmissions?
I haven't had any major problems at all with my CVT. I'm happy with it. The CVT is a completely different type of automatic transmission, so of course it is going to act a little different.

However, I went to Ocean City last week with the lancer. Once I got down there, the CVT felt a little jerky on two different occasions. I'm not sure what that was all about.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:39 AM

I have had a similar sound out of my 4 wheeler and when I asked about this at the shop, they said that it is where the clutch plates have come to rest on the shaft and it is a normal sound after the transmission has cooled down.

That said, since the CVT in the cars are more sophisticated, it may not be from cold metal on metal coming to rest like the 4 wheeler but something to do with the locking of the transmission in park with the engine not running.

I am not a Mitsu Engineer and I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night. So this is only a guess.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bluewaterDEMON
However, I went to Ocean City last week with the lancer. Once I got down there, the CVT felt a little jerky on two different occasions. I'm not sure what that was all about.
I've noticed also that in second gear when in D my car gets a little jerky... Maybe I should bring the car into the dealer and ask them about it. I drive the crap out of the car though (about 100 miles a day to and from work).
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:22 PM

my car does some weird lunging when it is coming to a stop, but i think that is normal because of the pulley system?
Old Aug 1, 2008, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure If what I heard this morning is related or not cuz I drive the 5spd. But here goes,

I was getting ready to leave this morning for work, so I jumped into my car, started it up, and threw it into neutral. I let it sit for a minute like I always do, then I shifted into reverse and started to go, and I heard this clunk/thud sound. It sounded like it came from the wheels or somewhere in that vacinity. I don't think it was anything major cuz there was no difference in the feel of the car on the drive in. I'm thinking it may be some water condensation around a joint or something, and that it was like a partial sieze and once the lube got around it went away. who knows, I'll just be keeping an ear out for it in case it happens again.