Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

clutch pedal grinding

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2009, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch pedal grinding

Hi there,

i have an 09 lancer de that I plan on working with when i get the financial ability to do so.

Anywho, its sitting at around 6000 kilometers now and i just noticed a wierd grinding happening near the top of the clutch pedal. It happens when compressing and releasing the clutch. When the car is on or off, moving forward or stopped, in gear or not in gear.

I have a feeling it will just come down to it being an annoyance, but it is VERY annoying to feel that in my foot every time I press and release the clutch. I am going to see what my dealer has to say on tuesday maybe. I dont have the time or resources to find / fix the problem myself.

If you think of a creaky floor, that is equivalent to what i am feeling and hearing in my clutch. It always only make 4 creaks. GRRRR it's annoying.
Old May 31, 2009, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

lol happened to me very early in owning the car..the dealer jus sprayed it wit wd-40..and like even after i drove away, a few hours later it started doing it again..but afetr a while it stopped i havent had the same problem since
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

might just be a nut tightened too much or something so it grinds when the pedal moves....probably nothing really wrong with anything
Old Jun 2, 2009, 06:42 AM

lol happened to me very early in owning the car..the dealer jus sprayed it wit wd-40..and like even after i drove away, a few hours later it started doing it again..but afetr a while it stopped i havent had the same problem since
Good ol' wd-40

My brother and dad seem to think it is the throw out bearing. They have recommended that I get it into my dealer for replacement immediatly. Driving on it without doing anything would be seen as a sign of neglect and could void my warrenty. Either way i am taking it in tonight and seeing what happens. I keep this updated.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 01:29 PM

it looks like its only happening to the 09 models?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 06:26 AM

as long as you report it every time u go to the dealer ship they cant say it was neglect
Old Jun 9, 2009, 06:40 PM

I'm trying to understand this "grinding" noise./....
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It wouldn't be the release bearing as the only linkage between your pedal and it is fluid, as it is a hydraulic clutch. My guess would be that it is in the pedal linkage itself and either the bushings it rides in are too tight or have dried up (if it is even greasable, doubt it) Pretty much the only thing the dealer could do it lube up the pedal linkage and hope it fixes it. Good luck.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:24 PM

Well, the dealer has ordered a part. They refuse to tell me what part, but i will get it out of em yet.

I am bringing it in monday to see what happens.

The grinding noise is weird. It's kind of like stepping on a creaking floor. The noise isnt as intense, but thats what it feels like as well.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:08 AM

The problem was that the cylinder head was loose causing a lot of play when pressing in the clutch pedal.

It was progressively getting worse rather than better, so if anyone else experiences this, you should probably make sure everything is good. Neglect is a good reason for them to not respect warrenty work.