Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

car heater blows cold air

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blaze_125
Then that's where I'd start.
How does old coolant effect the heater? I know if your thermostat is stuck open your car runs cold but why old coolant?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by High_PSI
How does old coolant effect the heater? I know if your thermostat is stuck open your car runs cold but why old coolant?
In my mind... as time go by, the heat exchange properties of coolant degrade.
Has my point been validated yet? I don't know, and I have yet to try.

I have the same problem and my gut feeling tells me I should change the coolant, but my hands tell me it's too cold right now.
1 thing I know, I added fresh coolant to my system a few months ago(to top it) and my heater blows hotter air than it did before I topped it.

Last edited by blaze_125; Feb 22, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
It just doesn't heat up, it never is this cold. the dial with the red/blue has to be full red or no heat. col...col...col...VERY HOT. That's it.
have you looked above the accelerator pedal at the flapper gear assembly on the side of the heater box to check the linkage or gear movement? As you turn the hot/cold dial, you should see the gear rolling gradually open to either direction.
Climate controls on our cars kinda suck.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

No offense- old coolant is NOT the reason this is happening

Sounds like a blend door issue in the heater box
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KX250Fmotoracer
No offense- old coolant is NOT the reason this is happening

Sounds like a blend door issue in the heater box
My blend door broke, the little gear on the side...so even though the knob say "i'm on heat" it's not. I have to reach up under the dash, and turn it by hand. IT's tough, it's gonna break one of these days bad enough that i can't move it anymore....I hope it breaks on A/C.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:29 PM

We had this problem. First, we found out that the plastic gears behind the actual heat adjustment knob were stuck. (Eventually the knob snapped off, as it had been getting more and more "sticky" over time.) The plastic gears connect your temperature knob to a cable that basically moves a door back and forth to allow either all hot air or all cool air, OR A BLEND of both, into your car. (The cabin, that is.) This is called the blender door. It is VERY common on OZ Rally Lancers for this cable to develop a kink/bend in it. Therefore the cable isn't sliding back and forth properly, and so your blender door gets stuck, in our case on all "cold" air. We checked everything from those gears behind the control unit, to our thermostat (which we even replaced), to our heater core (we did a radiator flush AND hand-flushed the heater core itself in case it was clogged)... Eventually we followed that stupid cable from the back of the white plastic knob gears, down through the dash, to where it ends up by the driver's shins up against the cabin side of the firewall. It was obvious that the cable was kinked, so even when the heater knob was being turned back and forth, the whole plastic cable tube itself was what was pulling back and forth, as opposed to the actual CABLE WIRE inside, which is actually what you want to be moving. Hence, the knob in the car seemed to be adjusting stuff, but actually wasn't capable of moving that blender door anymore. We just hand-forced the blender door to heat, and left it at that. Eventually we will re-run that cable, but as it's the dead of Winter here in Michigan, we don't need to tackle that just yet. Feel free to email us for more direct help on this, as it seems to be a super common problem- there's threads all over the web about this problem.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 07:12 PM

My heater works when I'm driving but whenever I come to a stop And sit at idle it starts blowing cold air, any ideas?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by imhenryd
My heater works when I'm driving but whenever I come to a stop And sit at idle it starts blowing cold air, any ideas?
Is your radiator and overflow both full?