Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Rattling coming from trunk/ rear struts?

Old Dec 28, 2003, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rattling coming from trunk/ rear struts?

I just discovered that when i close either of my back doors it makes this rattling or jolting noise from either my trunk or down by my springs or struts or something. It doesn't matter how hard I shut the door either, weird... Just wondering if this happened to anyone else, bad thing about the lancer is that it seems it has a lot of rattles...rattles bother me.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 05:27 PM

check to see that the cover or even your license plate screws are tight, i know that the bottom of the license plate cover is kinda rattling, i ended up taking it off, and it seems fine now
Old Dec 28, 2003, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

mine rattles all the time now, and i need to try to adjust it... that stupid little crossbeam on the trunk lid. i think its a support spring of some kind, and if the plastic brace moves or falls off, rattle city.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 01:31 AM

Location: Originally from California and stationed in Virginia.
yeah mine has this queaky noise?? sounds like a rat in the trunk squeaking every time i start the car it goes eek! eek!( like my impression lol) i think its from my subs rattlling my trunk all the time or maybe the constant vibrations of my subs on my altezzas is shaking it loose....hmmm...you got me curious bout this one now its gonna drive me nutz....THANX HOTSHOT...!
For me rattling is good causeit means my subs--amps and stuff are still working...hehehehe..lol
Old Dec 29, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

well today i went out and opened the trunk and then shut the door to see if the noise would still be there, well...no noise, so what the hell, i dunno i think it mighht b something with the braces that swing the trunk lid up and down, who knows...on a side note...what is the paint code of a red oz lancer i think it mighht be P85D but if im wrong plz correct me, thanks guys
Old Dec 29, 2003, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lancer paint code
Old Dec 29, 2003, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks man, however, pheonix red, isn't on that list...
Old Dec 29, 2003, 09:24 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

The noise in your trunk could be a number of things. If it comes back, check to make sure your spare tire and tools are secure. As you said, it could be the trunk springs, or it could even be the bushings on your sway bar or shocks. I agree with you, the Lancer has too many rattles
Old Jan 28, 2004, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

ok guys, its been awhile since this has been thread has been used but incase any of you are interested. I think that the noise coming from the back may have been some kind of automatic locking device on the trunk, where everytime the doors are shut the trunk locks itself or somethign wierd like that. it only makes sence and teh sound is coming right from the trunk opening. i mean the sound only happens when i shut the last open door and it won't happen when the trunk is open, also, it doesn't matter how hard i shut the door, the noise is still the same, so it hink its some electronic saftey feature on the trunk of some sort.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 08:30 PM

I have the same rattle(no more)

I had to dynomat my trunk, so when I took the trunk apart I noticed those vents on each side down in the wells, so I popped them out and then no more noise. This could be your problem it was driving me crazy(only when I shut the back doors) or not.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

damn, i have the exact same problem as u hotshot, when i close the back door my trunk rattles, but if the trunk is open it odesnt rattle, its really weird, but it doesnt sound like its coming from some kind of electronics, sounds kinda like somethings loose on my trunk lid
Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:29 PM

i wonder if it just is the vents. if it rattles when the trunk is closed and doesn't when it's open... that would indicate that whatever is rattling, is doing it by vibrations. when the trunk is closed, the air that gets displaced when the door is shut would vibrate it and cause that noise.....so just sit inside the back with the seats down and open and shut the back door
you should be able to find where the noise is coming from and be able to establish what you want to do from there
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

it has to be some sort of auto lock on the trunk or something after further examination i have come to the conclusion that there isn't a whole lot more that it could be...i can shut my door hard and it makes the same noise as if i hardly close it...i think that once it realizes that the door is in the "shut" position it locks the trunk that has to be it. those of you with the same problem, try to just like barley shut your door, like do it very slowly and carefully and see if it makes the same exact noise...cuase thats what mine does and i think thats the reason
Old Jul 11, 2004, 12:20 AM

Im bringing this thread back to life simply because I have a solution to this rattle problem.

First off: Hotshot, I have no idea what the hell youre talking about when you talk about this "Auto Lock System". There is no auto lock system, its a simple trunk with a simple latch. What made you come to a conclusion that it's an auto lock? And also why would it rattle?

And now to the solution: there are two cross bars on the inside of the trunk (not the trunk lid but the actual trunk) They go across the top of the trunk and are about the width of pencils. If you look theres a white thing in the middle of the bars. If one of the bars isnt connected to the white piece then clip it back in. There, you're done. You should have no more rattle.

If the two crossbars are connected to the white clip and it still rattles, then I have no idea whats wrong with your trunk and you will die poor, lonely, and annoyed by the rattle of your car.

Here are some pics of the crossbars (blue circle = the clip, green arrows = crossbars)
Attached Thumbnails Rattling coming from trunk/ rear struts?-locate.jpg   Rattling coming from trunk/ rear struts?-unclip.jpg   Rattling coming from trunk/ rear struts?-clip.jpg  
Old Feb 20, 2014, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

so long as its not a suspension noise or license plate rattle...

If you take the carpeted trim off the insides of the trunk you will see a small vent with a door on it. It allows the car to be able to equalize pressure and air to circulate. If you roll your windows up and close the door you'll definitly hear it, windows down and you probably won't.