Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

02 lancer wont start after installing silencer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh so btw Jingalalahoe yeah I don't remember seeing/removing any corrosion from those areas you have marked so hope that doesn't become a coolant leaking problem at those marks
Old Aug 4, 2016, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Ok guys so I found a pretty good deal on some head bolts here less than $20 and free shipping. Now on this particular item it doesn't say what vehicle it fits, but it has the same item number that the other ones had I showed you guys. When I placed the order I left a note for the company asking if they would please verify these bolts will fit an 02 Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0. According to the shipping information they normally ship the item the next day so maybe they will reply tomorrow
Old Aug 4, 2016, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Old Aug 4, 2016, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so this company also has a 100% feedback . It makes me feel better seeing the feedback rating at least in the 90s lol but 100 is better. Oh and check it out guts they only have 1 set left now because I just bought 1 of 2 haha . Hope this is a sign of more positive things to come with this Lancer
Old Aug 4, 2016, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Justinandcecil
Ok so this company also has a 100% feedback . It makes me feel better seeing the feedback rating at least in the 90s lol but 100 is better. Oh and check it out guts they only have 1 set left now because I just bought 1 of 2 haha . Hope this is a sign of more positive things to come with this Lancer
Correction, no offense guys, just a slip of my finger. I meant to say "check it out guys" not check it out "guts" lol. I'm using the Galaxy Note 3 guys a pretty big screen Phablet but as much as I use my phone and the key pad I can always use a bigger screen phone lol
Old Aug 10, 2016, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Hope all is well guys, quick update, got the bolts

Yep they fit 4G94

They came with the threads pre oiled
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Justin, here's a tip I had to learn the hard way---several times. When you put your head bolts in, step up he torque slowly. Going straight for the 55 ft.lbs. after snugging the bolts up like my manual said to do was a VERY bad idea. I wound up snapping three different bolts and stretching about 5 others. I ended up starting at 20 and going up by 10 until I got to 50, in sequence, of course. Attached is the torque sequence and spec that my manual shows. Good luck, buddy! Don't make my mistakes!

The following users liked this post:
Justinandcecil (Aug 15, 2016)
Old Aug 15, 2016, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks so much Chris ! Guys I'm happy to say that as of today the engine is performing great now. It appears so far that the head gasket fix was a success. I had a few troubleshooting issues the last couple of days and today but they are fixed and adjusted now. The first time I started the car for testing a couple days ago it ran for 2 minutes them stalled off, or I should say idled for 2 minutes then stalled off. It did not smoke out the exhaust pipe(like before) for that 2 minutes, but smoke was coming from the exhaust headers somehow. So I was very concerned and worried at this point, car stalled and I saw smoke. First thing I was thinking was aw man all that work for nothing and the radiator fluid is still getting into chamber and on the spark plugs. So I removed the spart plugs and one by one I examined them but they all were dry. Hmmm....I thought. So it must be something else. Well it was 1 of 2 things or both. I had forgotten there were 2 bolts on the intake manifold that I could hardly reach and that were still lose so I suppose a vacuum leak there. Also as you can imagine I'm VERY careful about tightening the valve cover bolts because I know that valve cover can bend pretty easily under the bolts like the situation before with the old cover(and I repeat it wasn't me that ruined that old cover, it was the previous owner/owners lol) anyway so yeah they were kinda loose too so between the valve cover being too loose and the intake manifold also not being secure there was a vacuum leak so I manned up to those 2 bolts and got then tight and the valve cover bolts also.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

So that was the first troubleshooting issue then came the next. The car started fine but was idling at 3,000 rpms. I was really scratching my head on this one. At this point the car sounds crazy loud(I've removed the silenser btw) and still smoking a little in the front of the engine near the headers. After some research I found out it could be the IACV (intake air control valve). So after reading up on it I was just about to remove it and inspect it/clean it. It's there just under behind the intake pipe on the throttle. I desided to remove the intake pipe and guess what? The throttle valve was open. So I traced the path of the throttle cable and saw that I did not tighten those 2 bracket bolts there on top holding the throttle cable. So the whole cable had shifted a little to the left got stuck and was not returning and allowing the valve to close. So it was stuck open just enough to keep the engine idling at 3,000 rpms hahaha at this point I'm saying Justin come on really? You skimmed over the easy stuff lol. So after that sort of shameful chuckle to myself, I was just happy to know the car is finally running good and strong now. I started the car back up and let it get hot so I could adjust the hot idle. It idles fairly smoothy at about 1,000 rpms when it's hot after about 3 to 5 minutes.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

I say fairly smooth because it still has some mild skips/hickups, during idle and that's because some things still need tweaking. Like the exhaust needs plus the sensor needs fix there under the car. A couple of hoses on the intake manifold(like that tiny one on the far left going to the fuel ragulator I guess it's called yeah that tiny hose is barely hangging on. Plus the engine needs a proper cold air intake. Plus the ignition wires also need changing. Also I need to replace the spark plugs again because they really got burned before when I kept trying to crank the car over the last month are so with coolant on them. So will all that stuff needing attention asap it's running fairly well. Well see how long this gasket repair will hold. It's at 180,000 plus miles so far and I'm guessing this is the first engine for the car.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

The gasket's new, bolts are new, and they are torqued to the T, I followed all steps. This engine has a new loving and caring owner so if it's survived 180,000 miles neglected, hopefully we can get close to doubling that with. Over heating will kill the gasket and possibly crack the block or head so keeping the engine low temp will be a priority for me, and will be key to preserving this gasket repair
The following users liked this post:
jingalalahoe (Aug 15, 2016)
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Oh btw guys about the smoke near the headers there, it litterally looks like the smoke is coming right out of the headers lol, so it must just be some debri/oil that is burning off from around the header when it gets hot, it's slowly going away now. So the car will remain parked for now until I can do a oil change and put coolant because only water for now. Also my insurance cancels in about 2 days so I wont be driving the car until I get back from my trip on September 24