Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2003 OZ Rally starting issue.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 OZ Rally starting issue.

So, sometimes my car just won't start. Everything comes on and the car has power, but it just won't even try to start. The last time this happened I unhooked the battery for a couple of minutes then hooked it back up and the car started just fine. It's very intermittent and sometimes won't start at all without a jump, but then after the jumpstart it's fine again for a while. Sometimes it will go 6 months without a problem, sometimes it happens multiple times in a week.

Sometimes when it acts up, the stereo will also shut off randomly

I have replaced the fuel pump, the timing belt, the cam position sensor, the battery, the alternator and the battery terminals and the problem still persists. I checked all the ground wires to make sure they are connected tightly and without corrosion and they are all good.

Any ideas on what it could be?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
You need to be more specific about what does or doesn't happen...when, how often, and how randomly it occurs is irrelevant. When you say it won't start, does it crank (starter motor turning), or does nothing happen at all? My bet is none of the parts you changed have anything to do with it. And if nothing happens at all when you turn your key it could only be a relay, the starter, the starter solenoid, or the ignition switch...and either a clutch interlock switch, or transmission range switch depending if manual or auto...most obvious would be a dead battery, but if it works sometimes without a boost then it's not your battery.

If it IS cranking but not starting, then it's not your battery, or starter or ignition switch etc. And boosting the battery is futile, and if that makes it work, then it's a fluke.

I would try turning the key to the start position and jiggle the key with some force, if that works you have a loose or damaged ignition switch,but again you haven't actually described any symptoms, so it's hard to say.