Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

post all STRANGE NOISE complaints here

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm i have a newb question.... i want to know what the noise going under the car after driving is. Like everytime after driving and had the engine turned off, there is some interesting tick tick noise under the car. It sounds like sands were running around inside a metal tube. It happens to every car in my family so i guess thats normal.. or that all the cars in my house are having problems?
Old Dec 19, 2004, 01:44 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

It's just the engine cooling down from what I understand. Metal parts contracting against each other. Nothing bad or abnormal. Someone had a better explanation of it, but I can't remember it.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its the aluminum and cast-iron parts that are bolted together creaking against each other as they cool down. aluminum expands and shrinks faster than iron cuz its less dense.Causing the noise.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:08 AM

Ok thisis going to be a newb question because I don't know about the lancer, but like sitting at the light it sounds like I hear a rod or a lifter tapping, but when I do check it's not, maybe it's just because of my eclipse I use to own, because I only raced in it like 4 times since I got it, and barely redlined 2 times I don't think that could hurt the engine and on the redlines I wuz going into a turn!
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ huh?
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:14 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Well, it's been commented a few times that we all think the Lancer sounds like a diesel engine when at idle, is that what you're talking about? If not, I'm not sure what the ticking could be.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:24 AM

Yes that's what Im talking about bro thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

when i start up my car, there is a noise. it soulds like a fan or belt. something moiving... its lounder than the engine, it makes the noise til i give it gas in drive...
Old Dec 23, 2004, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

my car revs to about 2ooo rpms when i start it for a minute or so. is this normal
Old Dec 24, 2004, 01:27 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Originally Posted by bettorer
my car revs to about 2ooo rpms when i start it for a minute or so. is this normal
Yes, the car is trying to warm itself up. I don't think mine goes all the way up to 2000 (more like 1500 for me) but maybe that's because 40 is the midnight low in December here in Ca. Here's an interesting one: Since I live on a hill, I usually coast down it in neutral while my car is still warming up, and the engine revs higher when the car starts moving, even though it is in neutral. Does the car know it's moving???
Old Dec 26, 2004, 07:12 AM

Alrt I need some advice on this problem I've been having for a while. I have a 2002 Lancer ES. When I step on the gas a certain amount, a strange noise always starts up in the engine bay. It almost sounds like something is winding up. And it keeps making that noise as long as I keep pressing the gas at the certain amount, which is usually around 2-3K rpms. But it mostly depends on how hard I'm pressing not the rpm. So I wanted to ask what the problem might be and what I can do to troubleshoot.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

i've had my car for bout year and a half, first my rear window started rattling, and took it to the dealership...the guy is like i have to order some sort of holder...im like ok w/e...and he tells me to bring in the car in a week...ok did that it stopped...and about a weak or to later it started again...i've been to the dealership twice...and they say...i dont hear a sound...and i dont have much time to waste around at the dealership...so i jus leave...and guess wut no soudn for another 2 weeks...and then it started again...the guys at the dearship wont do anything...is there anything i can do myself???...well thats not a big deal...i can always turn up the music over that noise...another noise is when the car is cold...i live in chicago...and bout 6 months are like cold below 35 most of the times...but i hear crackling sound from rear windshield/rear dash....has anybody have that problem???because its reallly annoying...its like a glass breaking...and it only happens when the car is cold...so idk...another problem i have is same thing the guy above me. ^^^...when the engine is in neutral...and i push gas so the rpms are at bout 2k....engine makes a really weird noise...i'll try to record it and put it up hear...its like a belt hitting something...another squeaking noise is from front right rotor/tire...it makes a squeaking sound on every rotation, and when i push the brakes a little bit...it stops...i think its just the brakes grinding against the rotor so thats no biggie...but yea...i've got a car with lotz of noises...any suggestions???
Old Jan 21, 2005, 09:51 PM

Unhappy clicking at 3000rpm

Originally Posted by citru5cyrus
that clicking noise is still coming out of my front end. Happens once in a while, i'm thinking it's the fan ..whenever the car is in gear and hits about 3000RPM, you here this clicking noise as if soemthing is being whipped against something...on every gear...and when teh car is in neutral or when i have teh clutch applied and step on the gas past 3000RPM, there's no noise.. anyone else have this issue? It's been there for quite a while..i'm thinking its' ither the wheel/tires...or a fan is hitting something... and again, dealership won't do anything about it..which pisses me off..
I have this same problem any threads ideas on what it is.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

I have had my lancer oz rally for a little over a year. The car has rattled from day one. There is a strange whisper that comes from behind the glove box. Something on the headliner squeeks always. The passenger door vibrates like crazy. The dash rattles at low revolutions. The hood use to squeek, but i just undid the latch and pushed it up and covered it in cv grease. Might have to do with the fact i bought a sh***y aftermarket hood from "overseas" -wink wink- which I smashed in the driveway out of anger, and stripped out the treads on my stock hood so now oneside latch is tack welded on. BTW, anyone want to buy half of a rusty nailed warped to all hell Evo 7 hood, Needs a little work! Haha!
Old Mar 29, 2005, 09:41 PM

crackling noise in Engine bay

WHen my car is just in the on position (engine not cranked) Every once in while there is a continuous cracckling noise almost like an electrical sound. Lasts for about 5 seconds.. i think it might be coming from alternator. not sure though. ANy one hear same noise?

Quick Reply: post all STRANGE NOISE complaints here