Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

The 07 STIs are apparently making stupid crazy power

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue04
No, I'm talking about that guy with the "430whp fp green STI" who underacheived per your story. Maybe his car was supposedly f'd just like the excuses you made? Not the 2007 car.

As for my times? They are faster than yours I could go on about the differences between the STI and EVO 20g, the gearing etc, but since you are nutswinging on that topic, I'll leave it at that
Your traps seem fine to me
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slowride
I beg to differ. The "flying snout" front end on the STIs is unforgivably ugly. That probably sold more Evos than anything did.
I like the front-end of the '06 and '07 STIs, however, I think that it is very color-sensitive. It looks great in black or white, but anything else.....I just dunno.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

I beg to differ. The "flying snout" front end on the STIs is unforgivably ugly. That probably sold more Evos than anything did.
I agree, although I admit I've grown use to the look now, but yeah that front end took a lot for me to get use to, and I still don't like the rear of the car (STI). But still the fact that with three or four bolt ons you were making well over 300whp on a EVO IX also helped to sell a little more cars.

I mean I had a chance to compare my 06 EVO IX to a Stage 2 Pro Tuned 06 STI, my mods cost me a total of $1,200 to his $2,400, he put down something like 290whp/320wtq compared to my 310whp/306wtq and I pulled 3 cars on him. He was very impressed and told me he should have a bought a EVO IX (even though he favors the look of the STI and its day to day drivability). In my opinion it is these types of customers that I believe Subaru is trying to win back with the 07 STI.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

sweet
Old Dec 30, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Here is my take on the whole Mitsubishi EVO vs. Subaru STi/STI wars in the United States. Seriously they've sold about the same amount of cars, but it is my opinion that Mitsubishi has been more of the aggressor in this battle and has seen more success, which goes beyond sales. Subaru in my opinion has made some critical mistakes.

2003 Model Year-
Mitsubishi begans to sale a USDM version of their Lancer Evolution, the Automotive press goes into a frenzy. The car retains the 4G63T which has been popularized by the DSM crowd, an instant built in following and aftermarket support from the USDM market.

2004 Model Year-
Not to be outdone, Subaru releases the STi, and trying to make a bigger splash, switches engines and rates the STi at 300HP. First mistake by Subaru. While yes the STi was a more powerful car, the new engine did not have the aftermarket following of the EVO VIII. It would have been smarter if they had released the STi with the 2.0L engine in my opinion, which had already become popular with the WRX crowd in the United States. Also didn't help that in reality, the power differences between the 2003-2004 EVO VIII wasn't as great as the rated power made it out to be.

Mitsubishi being the agressor releases the 2004 EVO RS, this in my opinion was Mitsubishi clearly understanding it's market and following for the EVO.

2005 Model Year-
STi has slight changes that offer better handling. Mitsubishi once again being the aggressor, makes more changes, boosting power and adding a MR version to their lineup.

2006 Model Year-
Subaru re-styles the STi, and now calls it the STI. The new styling is very different from the previous model year and many do not like it. Subaru mistake number #2. Mitsubishi once again being the agressor, releases the EVO IX, makes slight styling changes, infact changing some of the things we did not like on the VIII, which in my opinion was very smart on their part. Powertrain changes also improve, with slight power increase, which in reality was more. Also better turbo and MIVEC for better low end response. EVO IX RS, GSR, and MR are all available. Aftermarket for the EVO IX remains strong, while Subaru's aftermarket is just beginning to gain speed, but still lags behind the EVO.

My opinion, why the turbo improvements from 2003-2004 to 2005 to 2006, because Mitsubishi understands it's customers a little better than Subaru (although Mitsubishi always tries to play dumb). They realize that a substantial amount of EVO owners modify their cars with bolt ons. Subaru on the other hand still ignores the fact that many STi/STI owners are swapping turbos.

2007 Model Year-
Subaru possibly changes turbos and gearing, more power w/ bolt ons and better E.T.s. Also adds a STI Limited to lineup. It's great that Subaru finally did this, but perhaps a little late. Mitsubishi makes few changes, but still being the aggressor adds a SE model for 07 EVO IXs which are pretty much carryovers from the 06 Model Year. 2007 doesn't mean very much to Mitsubishi with the 2008 EVO X right around the corner, but Mitsubishi still adds the SE model, not allowing Subaru to completely take 2007 model year sales.

2008 Model Year-
Brand new EVO X, Subaru is still ???

My point being is that Mitsubishi has done a great job being the aggressor in this battle. Do they sale about the same amount of cars, yes, but Mitsubishi and many won't argue with me is a horrible customer service company, has questionable quality of build, and has little to no money for advertising and what not, compared to a successful Subaru company. Yet the EVO still sales. I cannot wait to see what Mitsubishi has in store with the 2008 EVO X, although many are nervious, I believe Mitsubishi clearly has an understanding of it's customer base for the EVO X and will not let us down. Subaru on the other hand will probably counter a Mitsubishi move, but once again Mitsubishi will be the aggressor.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3000ways - Subaru sells 3 sti's to every 1 Evo, so they have to please alot more people. Alot of subaru owners don't care about drag racing, and are more into rally or roadracing. I think your looking at in the dragracer perspective, which Mitsu has surely led. But in other areas the subaru has alway come out on top.

Now don't get me wrong, I have owned both cars, my evo was much faster, but I enjoyed driving the subaru more. I also get to play with them everyday, and if I was to build a true race car that wouldn't be driven on the street I would use the evo platform. For anything else it would be the subaru, its a much nicer car to live with day in and day out.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BadazzCR
For anything else it would be the subaru, its a much nicer car to live with day in and day out.
I've owned them both, too, and I prefer the Evo. Just curious what you think makes the Subaru so much nicer.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

I have had 2 STI an 06 and a 07 Limited now.
I loved my Evo=04 SSl but you cant put a price on been able to drop the clutch and spin all 4 and not worry about your tranny.
Besides that sound is killa!
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Sound is the only thing I miss about my Sti. The handling of it never made me comfortable... Power wise, its a no contest. Evo hands down...
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Subaru made no mistake right out of the box. The STi/STI is undeniably the more reliable of the two. They made the better daily driver. It blends plenty of performance with a little bit more comfort than that of the Evo. Not everyone wants to drive a race car on the street. The M3 is a prime example. While the STi/STI is no luxury car by any means, it's just easier to live with day to day.

It's even ridiculous to see Evo Vs. STi/STI Vs. M3 comparisons. The M3 is not built as a competitor to the Evo or the STi/STI, yet everyone seems to compare them. The M3 is lightyears ahead of Mitsubishi in refinement. The M3 doesn't ride nearly as harsh as an Evo or STi/STI, is quiet, refined, and yet it still achieves the same results as a hard-nosed Evo or STi/STI.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Subaru made no mistake right out of the box. The STi/STI is undeniably the more reliable of the two.
I'm not willing to concede that the STI is more reliable than the Evo. Are you basing that claim on Consumer Reports' survey? Do you have a citation?

They made the better daily driver. It blends plenty of performance with a little bit more comfort than that of the Evo.
My MR is every bit as comfortable as my STi was.

Not everyone wants to drive a race car on the street. The M3 is a prime example. While the STi/STI is no luxury car by any means, it's just easier to live with day to day.
Exactly what makes the STI easier to live with than an MR? I'll grant that non-MR Evos have a harsher ride than STIs.

It's even ridiculous to see Evo Vs. STi/STI Vs. M3 comparisons. The M3 is not built as a competitor to the Evo or the STi/STI, yet everyone seems to compare them. The M3 is lightyears ahead of Mitsubishi in refinement. The M3 doesn't ride nearly as harsh as an Evo or STi/STI, is quiet, refined, and yet it still achieves the same results as a hard-nosed Evo or STi/STI.
That's a strawman...you're the one who brought up the M3. Of course a car that costs twice as much as the Evo/STI outclasses it.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

I have had both, and topspeed's dyno reads way to high! It might make 330 hp but it only makes 220 at redline. I would take my IX which has a tbe and filter kit, and pull a stg 2 05 sti. The evo just outperforms the sti in my opinion, both out the box and with mods. If you dont think that your going to hurt the sti when you dump the clutch, guess again. Everyone went crazy in the sti world when the 06 came out and laid down better numbers than the 05, we all said finally a sti that will respond to mods like a evo, believe me I was one of them. Then I drove a IX, and now I have a IX. The sti will fall flat on its face without a better flowing turbo, no matter what year you have.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Are you saying that the m3 doesnt blow away the sti's refinement???????
Old Dec 30, 2006, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joehoo
Are you saying that the m3 doesnt blow away the sti's refinement???????
I'm not even going to answer this question....

Last edited by Sinister Subaru; Dec 30, 2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not willing to concede that the STI is more reliable than the Evo. Are you basing that claim on Consumer Reports' survey? Do you have a citation?

My MR is every bit as comfortable as my STi was.

Exactly what makes the STI easier to live with than an MR? I'll grant that non-MR Evos have a harsher ride than STIs.

That's a strawman...you're the one who brought up the M3. Of course a car that costs twice as much as the Evo/STI outclasses it.
The MR does have a comfortable suspension...moreso than an STi/STI, but it costs $5000 more than a standard Evo to get that suspension (and a 6spd).

Consumer Reports? Please. While CR may offer opinions, we all know that those opinions are skewed, just as JD Powers are. Subaru is notorious for reliability, and it's widespread knowledge how sturdy the STi is. I see more complaints on this site about broken down Evos in one week than I've ever seen on a Subaru site.

I never said the M3 outclasses the Evo and the STi/STI. What I said was that it does everything that the both of them do, and with a softer suspension and much more refined interior.

Quick Reply: The 07 STIs are apparently making stupid crazy power