Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

From an Evo --> To a Camaro Z28

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah Im going to have to agree, Camaros just aren't worth it. crappy mpg, REALLY crappy handling, and the biggest PITA to work on. My friend has a z28 with a couple bolts ons, when we go to the drag strip he consistantly runs like 14.2's with a miraculous best of 13.7 one day. I think the cons outweigh the pros when it comes to camaros. Also they havent been around in what? over 5 or 6 years now? Most are getting up there in miles from what Ive seen on the local car want ad sites. Id stay away and find a used wrx or something like that. Then you wouldnt have to grow a mullet listen to lynard skynard and drink bud every day either haha
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

^^^14.2 sucks what year camaro?......can your friend walk and chew gum at the same time
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtwnind.
The most restrictive part of the exhaust on the ls1 fbods is the ypipe.. its like 2 1/4 on one side and flat as a pancake on the other side. so if you get one get that stock y pipe out asap.
As for weight reduction.. same crap as most cars.. remove seats and excess crap yuo dont need.
most of the cars panels are plastic tho.. fenders, door skins, qtr panels(at least on the verts).

you cant really compare a rwd muscle car and a awd turbo.. two totally different beasts..
but my fastest run stock was 12.9 at 115, majority of the time you'll be in the 13.2 - 13.0 range. so theyre pretty good stock.
with a full exhaust and intake you should be able to run in the mid-high 12's all day long
Originally Posted by anjapower
12.9 at 115 sounds a WEE bit fast for stock...you sure you didn't mean 105?
I also agree, a 115 mph trap speed for a bone stock Z-28 or bone stock SS is not possible. A 105 mph trap speed and a 12.9 et is believable. They are pretty quick bone stock. My nephew just bought a clean, low milage 2002 Z-28 automatic. He ran 13.30's @ 103 mph on 91 octane bone stock. Not bad.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOL2003
^^^14.2 sucks what year camaro?......can your friend walk and chew gum at the same time
lol its a 1994 z28 (LT1) automatic with like 2.73 gears. He got down into the 13's that one night. But I wouldnt recommend going to a camaro after an Evo. Ive ridden in both, and a Camaro feels about as good around corners as my fathers Mercury Grand Marquis.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

I had a 96 firebird (same car basically) and the build quality was absolutely horrid. Now Im not saying the evo is a lexus by any standards but the firebird was a whole different level. Weather stripping kept peeling, wires shorting out (leaving me 350 miles from home) keep the evo , suck up the payments, and put a nice 50 trim on it.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

^^^evo>camaro in corners agreed. have your friend drive a ls1 differant beast alltogether
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CAD EVO
I had a 96 firebird (same car basically) and the build quality was absolutely horrid. Now Im not saying the evo is a lexus by any standards but the firebird was a whole different level. Weather stripping kept peeling, wires shorting out (leaving me 350 miles from home) keep the evo , suck up the payments, and put a nice 50 trim on it.
how can people argue for better quality in evo over camaro....evo interior looks like **** and looks cheap as hell. camaros are no worse. dont beat the **** out of your cars and they wont break
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

how can people argue for better quality in evo over camaro....evo interior looks like **** and looks cheap as hell. camaros are no worse. dont beat the **** out of your cars and they wont break
I guess you missed the part where I said the evo's build quality isnt much to brag about, oh well

I ve owned both I have valid input, did you ever own one? or are you just assuming things >

Last edited by CAD EVO; Apr 26, 2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Well I know its beatin it with a stick, but I have to say, the interiors are really, really cheap quality. They really do look like Fischer Price made the interiors. The Evos nothing to brag about, but then again the Evos just a lancer, you could expect a bland interior on a regular lancer, youd think youd be getting something alittle nicer out of a sports car at any model trim.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

no but have test driven a 02 ss and it is a little better then the older ones. my cousin had a 30th ani z28
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

no but have test driven a 02 ss and it is a little better then the older ones. my cousin had a 30th ani z28
so you never owned one for an extended amount of time just test drove one? Better than the old ones? same car inside.

congrats you evolved in this thread!
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CAD EVO
so you never owned one for an extended amount of time just test drove one? Better than the old ones? same car inside.
Yeah back to helpin this guy out with his search for a new car though, CAD you've owned one, would it be comfortable/practical as daily driver? The maker of the thread lives in boston ( i assume you're going to school somewhere in the northeast as well?) so you have to consider snow and bad weather. I mean you could put snows on it like any car, but I think a diff car would be a better choice.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliLancerJ86
Yeah back to helpin this guy out with his search for a new car though, CAD you've owned one, would it be comfortable/practical as daily driver? The maker of the thread lives in boston ( i assume you're going to school somewhere in the northeast as well?) so you have to consider snow and bad weather. I mean you could put snows on it like any car, but I think a diff car would be a better choice.
no dont buy the damn car, keep the evo especially with boston weather. It might short out a few hundred miles from home in a snow storm while the weather stripping peals allowing snow to kill you. the back end is light and it will go about as far as a c5 corvette with run flats in bad weather.

Comfortable? compared to the evo its a cadillac, I use to enjoy reclining the seat back and riding gangster all the way to the office.

Last edited by CAD EVO; Apr 26, 2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

What does a not cheap car interior look like to you people?
Old Apr 26, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Well guys, Thanks for all the answer, I am actually already making a deal with the dealer for a z28. It's a 2000 it has 60k miles on it. It isn't bad for the price as well.

I was thinking of turboin this car though.. Because I will have much more money left. So turbo options wouldn't bad for me. Single or Twin?.. I like to roll race, I don't go to the track(rarely). Which should I get ?. Thanks.

Also during the winter, I am planning to get another car, Also once this car gets too hard to drive on the street because of too much h/p and such, I will get a daily driver, Which will probably be an Acura TSX or something.

Why is Ls1 unreliable?. I don't think they are at all.. There are so many swaps with this engines, This is one of the reason why i want it, Because it seems to be the best engine to race with.

Any more guys ?!? BUMP

Quick Reply: From an Evo --> To a Camaro Z28