Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

From an Evo --> To a Camaro Z28

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2007, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From an Evo --> To a Camaro Z28

Hello guys...

Just like the title says.. I am thinking about trading in my Evolution VIII to a camaro z28. I know, It is very sad for me as well. because I am going to college and I need to lower my payment, So I went out and found a camaro z28
Year : 2000
It has 61,000 miles on it.
6 speed.
It has a Borla Exhuast (headers back).
Also different valve covers? They're red?. I am not sure what it is.

I went to test drove today, It was pretty fast.
The price that the dealer is asking for is 12,999.

It is not bad.
So I am asking for your opinions, Will this car last me pretty long?.. How reliable are these ls1 motors?. How about their rearends?. Do they have any drawbacks at all on these cars? Should I go stock and the mod it myself?

I know that it can't handle as well as an evolution, however are there anyways to make it handle better at all?. I am thinking about auto-x this car as well. I am not into drag racing. I know you are probably asking me then why I would buy this car if i am not into drag, I do love the sound of v8's . Low end torque, I can punch it at any rpm's and It will put my back in the seat. So If anybody have any other suggestions please let me know?. Thank you.

From

To

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...ASC&cardist=25
Old Mar 18, 2007, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm i would rather get a SS camaro, but that is My IMO
Old Mar 18, 2007, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see you live in Mass, Are you planning on driving the Z28 in the winter? Last time I was in one in the snow was one of the scariest experiences of my life...
Old Mar 18, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whitersevo
hmmm i would rather get a SS camaro, but that is My IMO

its no faster than the z28s.
same engine. same trans..
ss is more of an apperance package.. hood, wheels..
i actually just traded my 2000 ss
Old Mar 18, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

No, During the winter, I have to get some beater 1,000 dollar car or something.

This is the drawback on the car. Everytime it snows, It makes me love my evo even more. and more..

To answer the SS question - I read on their forums , they say that it's the same engine, The ss is like a z28 with mods, But it's very little, only 10-15 hp different.
And the hood scoop on the SS that z28 don't have.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thaigleshmk
No, During the winter, I have to get some beater 1,000 dollar car or something.

This is the drawback on the car. Everytime it snows, It makes me love my evo even more. and more..

To answer the SS question - I read on their forums , they say that it's the same engine, The ss is like a z28 with mods, But it's very little, only 10-15 hp different.
And the hood scoop on the SS that z28 don't have.

exactly. theyre the same.
maybe if you get a ss with the slp quad exhaust or something it may make a bit more..
but theyre pretty much dead even.
fast cars.. even bone stock.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mtwnind.
its no faster than the z28s.
same engine. same trans..
ss is more of an apperance package.. hood, wheels..
i actually just traded my 2000 ss
May I ask , Do they have lots of problems at all?. How is the modding on these cars?.
Because I am thinking about modding the car, and make it handle 100x better than it is now.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

and as fotr your quesztion to making the camaro handle better. get some 17x9s or larger and run atleast a 275 on all four corners.
I had 274/40s on my ss. on all four corners stock height and it handled great. With a drop it would be even better.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

why not get an older wrx?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thaigleshmk
May I ask , Do they have lots of problems at all?. How is the modding on these cars?.
Because I am thinking about modding the car, and make it handle 100x better than it is now.

No they dont have many problems.. typical BS.
The LSx motors are very reliable.. gotta love Pushrods.
the 10 bolt rears are the weakest point. If you plan on drag racing it alot look into atleast upgrading the posi and axles. the 10 bolt should be good until you start pushing over 400. The way to go with the rear is definatly a MOSER 12 bolt if you can afford it,Direct bolt in and it can handle some serious power.

changing the sparks plugs can be a PITA .on the pass side.. the back 2 are hell to get to..
You also need a different spark plug socket.. its shorter and you can NOT use a ratchet on it, You need to use a open ended wrench.

modding them isnt bad at all. everythings pretty easy and staright forward.. Headers are a bit of a pain, but no where near as bad as the 4.6L mustangs.

if you have any more questions LMK

-chris

Last edited by mtwnind.; Mar 18, 2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

I went from an 01 camaro SS,(black,leather,with every GM option to an 03 Evo to an 06 Evo BR350 IX (#005). Best move i ever made. I still have an american muscle car though. 63 dodge 440.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Yup, the wider wheels would be nice, but even good tires for the stock ss wheels are not cheap. When I had mine, I lowered it with eibach springs and intalled koni shocks. That in addition to subframe connectors, and upgraded lower control arms the car handled and launched very well. I sold mine with 86k miles on it and I ran a 100shot of nitrous for about 50k of those miles. The car had no problems except the rear end was leaking, which is normal for those miles. They are good cars, but if I was going to downgrade I'd go to a 2002 WRX.

Last edited by John4321; Mar 18, 2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

If I didn't have to pay for my own tuition, I'd keep my evo for sure.
But it is what it is. So I have to live with it. However, I think it will be pretty exciting to try out different things, I love the low end torque of v8's, and potential h/p., Also if you even go twin turbo it, There is no lag whatsoever.

I was going to go for a vette, But It is just too expensive to me, My main goal was to lower the payment , not to go side by side. hahaha..

I'll look into the WRX's. But again, You got to love the low end torque and the sound of v8's though.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by John4321
Yup, the wider wheels would be nice, but even good tires for the stock ss wheels are not cheap. When I had mine, I lowered it with eibach springs and intalled koni shocks. That in addition to rear subframe connectors, and upgraded lower control arms the car handled and launched very well. I sold mine with 86k miles on it and I ran a 100shot of nitrous for about 50k of those miles. The car had no problems except the rear end was leaking, which is normal for those miles. They are good cars, but if I was going to downgrade I'd go to a 2002 WRX.

very true on the price or tires.
tire rack as a few cheaper options that have pretty good reviews. but id still fork out a bit more for some good ones.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

yeah that is what I am saying the ss looks way better....

Quick Reply: From an Evo --> To a Camaro Z28